• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help with a Model Store decision

I like it and it sounds good.
However,
Accessibility is probably going to be your main problem. The "down a flight of stairs" for a commercial enterprise could need some way to get up and down for some folks.

You might search "bunker hobbies" and "Hobby Bunker". Some of the bunker names are already in use.

Haha, nice. I looked into AK briefly a couple years back after my friend in Australia raved about them, but was unable to find an easily accessed retailer here stateside.

Playing with a logo.
1000006313.jpg

Y'all got better ideas? I thought the open door with the radiation symbol above it looked like a person.

I like it and it sounds good.
However,
Accessibility is probably going to be your main problem. The "down a flight of stairs" for a commercial enterprise could need some way to get up and down for some folks.
We have thought of that, and is why we never have opened it to the public. Hopefully a workaround will be curbside service.

Hi fellas, as many of you know I have a small hobby shop. Our main meat and potato sales are for fine art materials, but I have a small-ish corner of the store for a model shop. I want to bring in another line of paint, but am up in the air as to which to bring in. I want to replace my enamel selection for sure. What I have is good for the sign painter & art world, but not for the modeling world. The brand is Alpha 6, and they are a big deal in the automotive industry, but I have found that their product does not sell at all in the model shop.
The brands of enamel I have access to are:
Humbrol
Revell of Germany
Testors square bottles
Honestly, I don't love the tiny paint-can system that Humbrol and Revell use, but it's not a deal breaker as the paints are good. Too bad that Model Master went tits up or my decision would be easy. I have a pretty good personal stash of MM, but they are now precious! The Testors square bottles come in a surprisingly large variety of colors, and I do carry their basic art supply world selection of about 40 colors, but they are tiny as you know, and good luck reading the labels even with a magnifying glass! I am leaning toward Humbrol since I have two sources for them and only one for Revell.

The other paints I carry are:
Vallejo Model Color
Vallejo Model Air Military
Alclad II full range
Tamiya Mini's full range, which I LOVE, but the selection is very limited.
Golden High Flow airbrush (fabulous for figure painting)
Createx Airbrush
Vallejo rattle cans
Tamiya rattle cans, TS line
Vallejo Metal Color
Vallejo Textures and Washes

I am hoping to enhance the Tamiya hybrid paint type offering. I think Vallejo has a great range of straight up acrylic paint colors and am happy with them as my acrylic offering. I have access to the following brands:
AK Interactive
Mission Models
Tru-Color (but mostly train colors from my supplier, with some military colors, but still, a lot of color choices)
Mr. Hobby/ Gunze
MIG Ammo, which I will not be getting, but it is available.

I looked at Mission Models website, and it seems like it might be a good fit. Opinions on that? Their thinner seems fairly proprietary and no other thinner besides distilled water will work, but that can be propaganda, I just don't know. AK has a great reputation, and they have a million or so colors. I carry the Gauzy clear gloss finishes in that brand, but that is all. Mr. Hobby paints seem good but nobody here can read the labels at all, so I think I will stick to their primers and finishes which are absolutely top notch.

So, I am trying to keep this short. I don't want to add any jewels to my longest post crown LOL.
To conclude:
Enamel choices: Humbrol or Revell? I have no preference. Do you?
Other brand not enamel choices: AK Interactive, Mission Models, Tru-Color, or Mr. Hobby. I am leaning either AK or Mission.

That is all....
So, curious (haven't read ALL the posts), but where is your hobby shop?

I pushed the button on the Tamiya Lacquers. I don't know why Hobbytyme knocked an extra $107 off the total, but I am not going to argue with them. That AND a free rack? Yes please. I will get some shop photos once the new products are in a on the rack. I love getting new toys...

P.S.: I ordered three Gundam models. I talked to Jack, my rep, and said that I knew noting about Gundam and for him to pick the top sellers in each price tier and add them please. I don't think I have even ever seen a Gundam kit. ... :cautious:
Get some of the Gundam buyers to tell you what they want. They should only want to get what is currently popular (for the most part), and if you can afford it, buy 2, one to sell to that person, and one for the shelf (but start off slowly, so you don't over-saturate your inventory with stuff that may not sell - oh what a tangled mess to weave). I understand Tamiya lacquers mix best with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, so be sure to get that in stock.

The basement currently is the "catch-all" area. I have my sewing machines set up, but I haven't sewn in a while. We would bet another outbuilding to store things. Would any of you guys hesitate to enter a totally cool bomb shelter?
In Davenport, Iowa, there's a store that has consignment sales for models, and I've never had a problem going down to spend money.........lol!!! I like the name Bomb Shelter Models!!!

Mr. Color Leveling Thinner works well w/ Tamiya acrylics too. In fact I use the yellow cap Tamiya lacquer thinner along with the retarder (effectively the same result as the leveling thinner). For a while the Mr. Color LT was pretty hard to get, seems to be more available now, but I've got a couple bottles of retarder & yellow cap thinner kicking about already.

Get some of the Gundam buyers to tell you what they want. They should only want to get what is currently popular (for the most part), and if you can afford it, buy 2, one to sell to that person, and one for the shelf (but start off slowly, so you don't over-saturate your inventory with stuff that may not sell - oh what a tangled mess to weave). I understand Tamiya lacquers mix best with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, so be sure to get that in stock.
Funny thing, I did ask them what to get and the response was "Literally any of them. You get them and I will buy them." So, I got the top seller in 3 price ranges. I do have Mr Leveler and love the stuff. Heliis was right, it was hard to get for a while. I could get little bottles only. The big ones are finally back in stock. I have the yellow cap Tamiya thinner also.

It was pointed out to me by a non modeler that this type of bomb doesn't have a fuse and that modelers are mostly military people all about accuracy and would call me out on it. Since you guys are who he is talking about, I need a vote. With or without the fuse. I know my vote, what's yours?
1000006419.jpg
1000006418.jpg

Back