• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 Scale "Three Mile Limit" TLAR #423

View attachment 160708View attachment 160709View attachment 160712
Since this was Kevin's idea, I asked him if he wanted to name the boat. "Porsche" was his response. That's why that name is on the decal sheet!
I could not help trying out the red over orange "Kwitcherbitchin'" decals to see how they would look. This wasn't practicle on the 1/700 powerboat model. I find the effect pleasing on the bigger boat!

View attachment 160710View attachment 160711
Since I made the decals today, I tried out the smaller scripts on the smaller boats. Solva-set is your pal here! My clear inkjet decal paper has a thick carrier! Several coats of decal solvent tamed the decal film on the curved RHI and Defender 250 surfaces.

DISCLAIMER!: The lettering on USCG and LEO boats is white. I don't print white. That's Kenny Loup's job. The black lettered decals are inaccurate. They snuggled down and looked pretty decent so that's what you will find in your very own TLAR Models 1/350 3-Mile Limit kit.
Inittial release is 4 kits. 2 are spoken for. Cash offers are being entertained! :vgood:

Thanks again for looking in again and again!
Spectacular detail at a ridiculously small scale - I don't know how you can model at this size!

Last edited:
Spectacular detail at a ridiculously small scale - I don't know how you can model at this size!
I appreciate your compliment, my Friend! This is 1/350 scale. I think this is easy! I hope it shows that all these ship model projects I make in 1/700 or 1/350 scale are a labor of love. Everyone of them is. I am chuffed when you Men tell me these are "spectacular". I take a lot of pride in these models. The goal is to pay for tlarmodels.com fees and materials for 5 more years, so the website will grow enough to add $$ to retirement.
Now, I also understand such things are not every man's cup of tea. There are few things I enjoy more than this and most of them are private and personal. I'm not the artist you are. Nor am I the modelmaker many of my M/A brethren are. We all have different gifts and passions. that being said, we are all very much alike, don't you agree?

Again, Thanks Ian!

I appreciate your compliment, my Friend! This is 1/350 scale. I think this is easy! I hope it shows that all these ship model projects I make in 1/700 or 1/350 scale are a labor of love. Everyone of them is. I am chuffed when you Men tell me these are "spectacular". I take a lot of pride in these models. The goal is to pay for tlarmodels.com fees and materials for 5 more years, so the website will grow enough to add $$ to retirement.
Now, I also understand such things are not every man's cup of tea. There are few things I enjoy more than this and most of them are private and personal. I'm not the artist you are. Nor am I the modelmaker many of my M/A brethren are. We all have different gifts and passions. that being said, we are all very much alike, don't you agree?

Again, Thanks Ian!
Yep, very much alike, which is why we are all here together on this forum I think. :ro:

20230630_001855.jpg
TLAR Models kit #423 initial releases are ready. I made a "Special" for Kevin, since he was my first website buyer and he asked me to make it!
I keep kit #1 for the company achieves. New TLAR Models releases are discounted for the first 30 days, so don't miss the boat! :lol:
Last month saw 2 new kit releases, so I'm calling June a banner month for productivity.
20230701_084304.jpg
Did I mention the Dolphin?
SHEYIT. I almost forgot about the friggin' helicopter!
These initial releases also include a 1/350 USCG HH-65A Dolphin helicopter model.

20230630_171713.jpg
Now I get to play with my own 1/350 Kwitcherbitchin'! SATCOM, crew and other details a speedy smuggler might need to pass through the three mile off shore law enforcement limit. Stealth is not in this vessel's design. Teresa commented that She's about as subtle as a Gallagher show in the Library of Congress. Pretty sharp, my little Sweetie.
Thanks for looking in! :skipper::oldguy::salute:

I'll confess I bought Trumpeter 1/350 Z-9 Helicopter kits from US seller in order to get this model kit to market.
This was quicker than mastering, molding and casting my own 1/350 HH-65A Doffin, even with my personal disdain for all models Chinese Communist.

"Didjabringabeeralong!" Adding this name to the decal sheet for the 90-footer! :lol::lol:
Sold the first kit Saturday! 3 more kits are on hand. Sales this week payed the bills for the website for the year! :dance:

Congrats! I've NEVER broke even on the website.
Members here "buy" your web product every time we post on M/A. We as a group should do better $$-wise at taking better care of you.
I didn't truly grasp what kind of investment in time and attention running a website is until I started my own.
It's like having a second full-time job, with really comfortable, refreshing, work-space! :bang head:Drinks::stinker:

I don't want anyone to think my website is making a pile of PROFIT $$. YET! I have a five year plan.
This amount of sales covers the GoDaddy fee. it doesn't begin to cover costs of model kits, materials, ink, paper, elbow grease or "lubricants".
I remain diligent. TLAR Models is 8 years old. I can't point to any one year and say "Profitted this year!"

Other tweaks, like a TLAR "initial release discount" for the first 30 days.

I put Teresa's name on her website category to make it easier to find her custom-made, cool, not-model stuff.

I wonder about my box art. No other resin ship model outfit does so much box art. I like the "shelf presence" my boxes exhibit, but I do not pursue the wholesale marketplace. It seems like overkill, don't it? It IS fun! You won't find a TLAR Model kit on the shelf at Hobbytown or The Wal-mart.

I'm working to control costs by packing a few of my less complex kits in zip-baggies rather than the pricier boxes. Modelers like a box, however, baggie artwork takes less time and less material. Every dollar is dear these days. I do what I can to deliver excellent quality resin model kits & castings and keep them affordable.

This looks like a blog post don't it? HA!

20240317_192455.jpg20240317_192631.jpg
I hope to finish this by 6 April for our contest. Nothing sells model kits like the finished product! I got my ocean shiny enough this afternoon. 1/350 all female crew (3) and broken down law enforcement boat with 2 crewmen, just like the 1/700 version of "3 Mile Limit" is what I have in mind.
In 1/350 scale Brenda's bare "upper works" will be much more visible.
Stay tuned for more Caribbean fun!

20240320_170032.jpg
Filling the gap between the ocean and Kwitcherbitchin's hull is going well. I find the MiG water can be thinned with Windex to make it possible to flow small amounts into the gap.
20240320_191058.jpg20240320_191148.jpg
It's going pretty well. This model won't make it to Omacon this weekend, but she should be handily ready for our contest 6 April.
A light coat of clear on the boat will really show off the water effect. I touched up the edges of the base where the ocean is splashing over the sides as well.
Thanks again for looking in!

20240322_224848.jpg20240322_224906.jpg20240322_202619.jpg
The decision to use the Dade County Sheriff RHI Boat in this 1/350 version of "Three Mile Limit" was made. I picked my "Cops". They will be trying to halt Kwitcherbitchin' through the smoke of their broken engine. (Soon!)
Now, an opinion question;
20240322_175735.jpg20240322_195518.jpg20240322_203656.jpg20240322_203732.jpg
There is a limit to scale. Tan lines and waving bikini top, Jeannie will be taunting the Sheriff's men, I wonder, did I over do the boobs?
Same question for Captain Sherry Amore'. She will be at the helm of the powerboat, sporting her stylish head gear.
Your thoughts, Men of Culture?

Now, I'm on my third 1/350 Skipper figure. I was listening to sailing songs on my headset when the first Sherry tinged off somewhere to the desk. The second one hit my arm and was consumed by the carpet monster. I couldn't hear either one land, to help find her, so....
DO-OVER!!

If my painted cops and waving bikini-clad Brenda figure don't vanish, this tiny diorama may cause quite a stir at SurgiCon 28 and the model shows that follow.

No 1/350 people are included in TLAR kit #423 These came from White Ensign Models in California. None of them start out female.
Thanks again for looking in!
:capsmiley:
:drool:
:salute:

20240324_173346.jpg20240324_172523.jpg
Kwitcherbitchin's Skipper is ready to install after my gloss acrylic clear dries. I attempted 1/350 butt cheeks, but once Sherry is fitted into the helm, you cain't see her bottom.
20240324_173118.jpg
Miami-Dade Police wear brown pants and khaki shirts under their PFD's. These guys will need a little touching up before Kwitcherbitchin's crew can properly taunt them. If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, this should be ready for our 6 April (Late Fools) contest.

Surgicon 28's theme is "75 Years of NATO". This year is the Plastic Surgeons 30th anniversary as an IPMS Chapter. This was forgotten by our Contest Chairman and the guy that remembers everything rarely stays long enough at the club meetings to add his input to the contests covfefe.

Some trusted members get sneak peeks and comments in a more private fashion. :yipee:
20240325_063024.jpg20240325_063404.jpg
I was up early this morning. A little modeling on a little model in the pre-dawn hours can be a healthy thing every once in a while, don't you think?
2 Crew members are installed. The third bikini smuggler will be boarded as soon as she has her hair. A red-head, perhaps? Too "Charlie's Angels?
Captain Sherry's 1/350 scale butt cheeks fit the pilot seat perfectly. A happy accident, I confess!
This will be ready for our upcoming 6 April show! :yipee:
Thanks again for looking in!!
:oldguy:

20220401_212653.jpg20220401_212923.jpg
Thanks Bob!
The original version was in 1/700 scale, and was part of the Rum Runners and Smugglers set. TLAR Models #318. (March/2018)
Most of the people that saw it commented it was interesting, too small to see the "details" very well. Mo'Debly!
Kevin Iutzsler asked for the double-sized 1/350 model and so it began!

20240327_072710.jpg
I think the red-headed girls hair looks about right. She won't be glossy when she's installed.
20240327_105241.jpg20240327_105026.jpg20240327_105039.jpg20240327_105049.jpg
Here it is! Ready for showing at contests! The Dade County boat isn't disabled this time. She's idling, awaiting sea-going criminals.
20240327_105308.jpg20240327_105732.jpg20240327_105517.jpg20240326_200955.jpg
A little closer look.
The Sheriff's men mean business! No wonder Kwitcherbitchin' didn't slow down to offer aid.
The Smuggler Girls look very friendly, do they not? Do not be deceived! This Captain and crew are as ruthless and blood-thirsty and any buccaneer that ever plied the Big Blue!
TLAR Models kit #423 also includes a 1/350 USCG HH-65C Dolphin helicopter kit and decals.
Nothing on the water can catch Kwitcherbitchin'. Helicopters have a chance! :bigrin:
This was FUN!
Thanks for looking in, one last time!
:oldguy:

Back