• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Model Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles.Update 4/30/19

You think the spokes were aluminum, Bob? I would be very surprised. I owned an E-type Jag for 20 years and those spokes were definitely chrome steel. Lots of tension on them.

You think the spokes were aluminum, Bob? I would be very surprised. I owned an E-type Jag for 20 years and those spokes were definitely chrome steel. Lots of tension on them.

I can't say for certain, but, I have seen real MGTCs many times and they didn't look like chrome to me. They were metal but looked more like aluminum than chrome. No deep shine at all.

An E-Type Jag cost far and away more money than did a 1948 MGTC. They were really cheap cars and tiny. Here is one of the reference photos I am using. Compare the headlight chrome to the wire wheels. Definitely not the same, but, I couldn't swear on it? Only the knock-offs were chrome.

1949-mg-tc.jpeg

Here is an E-Type Jag. No doubt about the chrome on those wheels.

etyperestorationshot1.jpg

Bob

The wheels could have been painted steel like my old VW wheels. Painted steel spokes and chrome knock offs.

Looks real good Bob! The reference photo is a big help as I doubt many of us have actually seen one of these cars.

Looks_Good_GIF.gif

The wheels could have been painted steel like my old VW wheels. Painted steel spokes and chrome knock offs.

Looks real good Bob! The reference photo is a big help as I doubt many of us have actually seen one of these cars.

Looks_Good_GIF.gif

You could be right Paul. They looked metallic but not like chrome. I remember bicycle spokes having that same look.

I never realized that many guys would not have seen a real one, I'll post some more reference photos.

Bob

Here are some of the reference photos I am using of the MGTC. When I was a kid, a guy next door had a new one of these and I went crazy over it. That was 1949 and I was 8 years old.

1948_mg_tc-pic-18113-640x480_copy.jpeg

1949-mg-tc-in-red-DDW47J_copy.jpg

1949-mg-tc.jpeg

20170810_172759_resized-940x705_copy.jpg

64692482-770-0_2X_copy.jpg

mgtc_copy.jpg

Then the dashboard and the engine compartment.

PhotoGallery_Details_21_2469_2_copy.jpg

mg-tb-tc-td-S2714437-4_copy.jpg

Bob

As I thought , the fire wall is the same color as the body . The seal between the body and hood I believe is more like a woven material ( maybe asbestos )

I believe the spokes were some sort of steel ( maybe stainless ) which was part of the pain in the back side as they had to be adjusted from time to time.

Nice pictures Mr. Bob.

Cheers, Christian B)

As I thought , the fire wall is the same color as the body . The seal between the body and hood I believe is more like a woven material ( maybe asbestos )

I believe the spokes were some sort of steel ( maybe stainless ) which was part of the pain in the back side as they had to be adjusted from time to time.

Nice pictures Mr. Bob.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian,

You know, I don't remember ever looking under the hood of one of those! If you are certain the firewall was the same color as the body, I'll run with that. My references show both the same and gloss black on the firewall. I have about as many with the firewall black gloss as I do with the car color on the firewall?

11_-MG-TC-1947_copy.jpg

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

Since you worked on them at a garage, I'll bow to your knowledge as to firewall color and leave it red. Much less work that way too! :)!

I believe both these compartments have been modified from the original.

Bob

Can't totally swear to it but you posted a green one and a red with matching firewalls.
I know for sure the TD's and TF's had matching color . Easy way to paint a simple car .

Love those British cars with the wooden interior panels . A nice touch.

Cheers, Christian B)

My father has a 49 TC in the garage, and he has restored a few other TC, TD and TF. Firewall is body color.

The wheels could have been painted steel like my old VW wheels. Painted steel spokes and chrome knock offs. /quote]

Hey Paul,

Did some research about the wire wheels. You were right! They were painted silver. No chrome, no aluminum, just silver paint!

I had already assumed that John was right about the firewalls. He was right. Body color!

Bob

Nice pictures Mr. Bob.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian,

You know, I don't remember ever looking under the hood of one of those! If you are certain the firewall was the same color as the body, I'll run with that. My references show both the same and gloss black on the firewall. I have about as many with the firewall black gloss as I do with the car color on the firewall?

11_-MG-TC-1947_copy.jpg

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

Since you worked on them at a garage, I'll bow to your knowledge as to firewall color and leave it red. Much less work that way too! :)!

Bob

Really don't remember any chrome under the hood of any of them . I still have reservations about the original spokes being painted . Owners spent a lot of time cleaning those things.
At any rate , I doubt anyone would notice.

As I said, though it has been a long time and anyone who has one now will do things to make it easier to keep up looking good .

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice pictures Mr. Bob.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian,

11_-MG-TC-1947_copy.jpg

mg-tc-sc_copy.jpg

Bob

Really don't remember any chrome under the hood of any of them . I still have reservations about the original spokes being painted . Owners spent a lot of time cleaning those things.
At any rate , I doubt anyone would notice.

As I said, though it has been a long time and anyone who has one now will do things to make it easier to keep up looking good .

Cheers, Christian B)

Not much chrome under the hood. Some polished (poorly) aluminum yes, chrome, not so much.

Back