• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help with a Model Store decision

Add me to the list of people that wish Tamiya covered more FS numbers. 🤣

I’ve since converted to Tamiya/MRP as my main paints, and Gunze for my metallics. The LHS started carrying Mission Models, but after hearing a couple guys in the club struggle with them I decided to save my money. Tamiya I can usually get locally, MRP & Gunze I have to order through SB. A little inconvenient, but the paints work for me. And with my build pace, having to wait a couple days won’t kill me. 🤣

Add me to the list of people that wish Tamiya covered more FS numbers. 🤣

I’ve since converted to Tamiya/MRP as my main paints, and Gunze for my metallics. The LHS started carrying Mission Models, but after hearing a couple guys in the club struggle with them I decided to save my money. Tamiya I can usually get locally, MRP & Gunze I have to order through SB. A little inconvenient, but the paints work for me. And with my build pace, having to wait a couple days won’t kill me. 🤣
I just found out yesterday that Tamiya Lacquer paints cover every color they offer. Knowing that, I think I may have found my way forward, since I use lacquer thinner for the Tamiya hybrid acrylics anyway. I agree about the Mission Model paints, the more I researched the more I want to steer away from them. I will go with Humbrol for my full enamel line, Tamiya for lacquer, Tamiya acrylic because I already stock them, and Vallejo Model and Model Air for my straight acrylic lines. Alclad II and Vallejo for metallics. That covers all of my bases.

I ordered the full Humbrol enamel line from Arvids Breikss (US rep for Airfix) and Airfix today. I want to give a humongous shout out to him and the company. They are accommodating and friendly. Instead of having to get six of each color they are sending 3 of each, plus the free rack. They didn't have to do that, and Tamiya certainly won't because I asked and they told me so LOL. With them it was six of each or none of each. Arvids seemed happy to do it. Customer service. Do what it takes to get the product into a store or you can't sell it. I feel so good about this decision. Thanks for all the help. I AM going to bite the bullet and get the six each of Tamiya Lacquers. I should have quite the diverse shop after that. Good times at the Art-Full Barn...or the Fart-Full Barn as @Rhino calls it LOL :poop::rotf:facepalm:

I wish I lived closer! All I have is a HobbyTown...and about the only models they care to stock any more are Gundam (not that there is anything wrong w/ gundam kits mind you). Tamiya paint rack has been 1/2 stocked lately. It's a coin toss if I have to order paint or not. I used to stop in once a month, but haven't felt much desire too lately. The only other non-RC paint they have is Mission Models and some square bottle Testors (pray they don't stop making zinc chromate).

I wish I lived closer! All I have is a HobbyTown...and about the only models they care to stock any more are Gundam (not that there is anything wrong w/ gundam kits mind you). Tamiya paint rack has been 1/2 stocked lately. It's a coin toss if I have to order paint or not. I used to stop in once a month, but haven't felt much desire too lately. The only other non-RC paint they have is Mission Models and some square bottle Testors (pray they don't stop making zinc chromate).
I wish you did too LOL. If I get down to one of a color I start itching like crazy to order it! I have been trying to order the Model Air colors I am out of for months now, and they keep being out of stock. UGH! I don't have any Gundam models at all, but have been asked to get them. I know absolutely NOTHING about Gundam, so I would have no clue what-so-ever as to what I should get. My next issue to tackle is more room for models. I have a decent selection for the space I have, but could double the models and still not have enough IMHO. One battle at a time. I am winning the paint line battle!

I pushed the button on the Tamiya Lacquers. I don't know why Hobbytyme knocked an extra $107 off the total, but I am not going to argue with them. That AND a free rack? Yes please. I will get some shop photos once the new products are in a on the rack. I love getting new toys...

P.S.: I ordered three Gundam models. I talked to Jack, my rep, and said that I knew noting about Gundam and for him to pick the top sellers in each price tier and add them please. I don't think I have even ever seen a Gundam kit. ... :cautious:

They are actually kinda cool for something different, though I know they don't interest most of the people here. Also a lot of them don't require glue, so can be an excellent entry kit for a potential budding modeler. The engineering on them are pretty slick...and usually fit is top notch (at least the Bandai kits). I threw one together (no paint) for shits n' giggles as a Blitzbuild entry (24hr group build) a couple years ago. One of these days I'd like to go back, take it apart, and paint it proper.

At our Hobbytown, Gundam kits are the biggest seller. Kids are crazy about them and Bandai's engineering is impressive. Press fit with no paint. Instant gratification!!
I have a Gundam kit, but it just isn't my Thing. Besides, I've had Lego for years.

The Fartful Barn does mail-order. Their prices are more than fair and their service is swift! Text/P.M. with your list. Gail and Greg take good care of modelers!

The Fartful Barn does mail-order. Their prices are more than fair and their service is swift! Text/P.M. with your list. Gail and Greg take good care of modelers!
Dude man, you are a gem. I don't care what anybody here says! I thank you 🙂

The AK-Real line is very similar to Tamiya with a bigger color range,it thins nicely with lacquer thinner
That is what it sounded like from the research I did. Maybe in the future I can get that. I carry some of their products such as Gauzy and Chrome. I am going to need a bigger shop...

I will get photos as soon as Humbrol sends the rest of the shelves for the rack LOL. They were embarassed that the only sent one of twelve. I decided on Humbrol Enamel and Tamiya Lacquer. After getting the rack, I am not confident I did the right thing with the Tamiya and should have gone with AK. Anyway..., it is done.

My wife has proposed an idea for me to get more store space. We have a legit 1962 Bomb Shelter benrmeath our store, which used to be the US Forest Service headquarters. She said, why not move the store to the bomb shelter and call it Bunker Models? I think I like that idea. Modelers would probably not be turned off by coming into a bunker. Here are some photos.
1000006231.jpg
1000006232.jpg
1000006230.jpg
1000006229.jpg
1000006228.jpg

What do y'all think? And what about the name? Bunker Models, or "The Fallout Shelter", or "Bomb Shelter Models"?.

The basement currently is the "catch-all" area. I have my sewing machines set up, but I haven't sewn in a while. We would bet another outbuilding to store things. Would any of you guys hesitate to enter a totally cool bomb shelter?

I’d think it would be pretty cool. But I’m weird like that.
Chris you'd love this store. But it still bugs me that the rangers had a bomb shelter to themselves. Not big enough for one of those public fall out shelters we were told about back in the day.

Back