• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Military Bulldozer X3

Hey I'm paintn'!
1660912651621.png

1660912666031.png

I don't have the big compressor plumbed yet so I used the old trusty 40 year old Badger, it was pushing about 25lbs according to the pressure regulator Bruce installed on it. Thanks for that @iambrb I'll use it when I plumb the new system. :rotf
Gathering up the parts for the Dozer attachment.

My Grampa Rhiner had this Bulldozer and an old cable grader at his shop. He was 25th Infantry in 1941.
This looks soo cool!

My Grampa Rhiner had this Bulldozer and an old cable grader at his shop. He was 25th Infantry in 1941.
This looks soo cool!
I have been trying to remember the name of the guy who invented all these different PTO apparatuses, french name, starts with L, he started a university in Louisianan I think.

Letourneau was an inventive genius and a fine man, but everyone I knew in the business loved Caterpillar better. But most of Cat's earth moving development was after WW II, Caterpillar mostly was doing tracklayers in the war, although they developed the Model 12 road grader in 1938.

And here we are again, back to the same issue I had a couple of years ago.
1661305840506.png

Using the attachment point for the blade pivot the bracing for the blade does not clear the tracks if lifted at all. I don't know if Mirror got the blade mount wrong or is the running gear too long or what. I'm going to push the entire thing forward considering I can't see the actual pivot point on the reference photo. That'll be my path of least resistance I think.
@jeaton01 John do you have any drawings of this LeTourneau rig?

Looks like they got the side frames too short. I'm also not too sure about the size shape, and location of the diagonals that keep the side frames from moving left to right so they always clear the track pads. The dozer blades I have had or used were all made by Cat, but here's a pretty good picture of that blade you have on a D-7.

cat-d-7-buffalo-ny-seabee-memorial-_1-jpeg.jpg

I cant find a picture from the same angle as yours Bob so its hard to compare to see what's different but this shows the clearance you need

If you zoom in on yours and the yellow one the triangle that supports the bracing for the blade is slightly forward of the vertical beam on the yellow one where as yours appears to be in line ?

caterpillar_xd7_5_original.jpg

I could be wrong but I don’t think this is something you did Bob, other builds I’ve seen of this kit show similar results.

4C5544A5-38DD-4415-B9B6-EB1B93DD3872.jpeg
CBC384DE-2B3F-4262-B83A-436DFD231FA7.jpeg

Even the build photos on Mirrors site seem to show that angled bracket sitting too close to the tracks.

E13194C9-F320-4FFB-B51C-306369FE1A74.jpeg

Thanks for the work guys, I'm going to build up the other blade I have and see if I got some wiggle room on that corner brace thing to push it forward. I think the photo John posted shows that arm is far more robust than what's modeled here.

Also if you look at the pivot point in the original vers what's on the model, it looks to be a wee bit further forward, at least to my eye. Nope, not building the blade, I'm going after that pivot! :sawall

Back