• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Updated Sept. 8, 2017

Looking good Bob!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Paul!

Bob

Sweet! B)

Thank you Sir!

Bob

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Updated Sept. 8, 2017

Got a base coat on it. Here's a quick update.

g0000~0.JPG

g0~0.JPG

I'l start the "burning and charring" tomorrow!

g000~0.JPG

Till next time.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Updated Sept. 10, 2017

Cool! :popcorn

I did some burning and charring on some models when I was a kid but that was something different! :evil:

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Updated Sept. 10, 2017

No interruptions yesterday! Got it finished!

0~2.JPG

00~2.JPG

000~2.JPG

An overhead shot.

0000~2.JPG

A front shot. Although this will be effectively invisible to the viewer when on the diorama.

00000~1.JPG

A shot on the diorama where it will go.

g~2.JPG

It, as with the other two burnt out wrecks, will look much better when permanently in place. There will be charring, rubble and blackened ground, scorched buildings adjacent to where it originally burned!

gg~2.JPG

Now, back to the figures for the next Sherman.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Updated Sept. 11, 2017

I always get a few emails about these posts. One of them from a good friend.

He was curious why the convertible top wasn't completely burned away. It was a good question and that had crossed my mind while I was chewing the top up with my Dremel. I thought I would post my answer to him in case others had similar thoughts.

"That’s kind of a long story. I probably should have included it as you are most likely not the only one wondering that".

When I was a cop, I saw dozens of cars burning and burned. It was like so many things I experienced as a urban police officer. Probably the most amazing to me was the incredible ways bullets effect bodies when they hit. Even how knives do weird things as well. I have seen three people tied up and face down on a basement floor, each with a .45 caliber slug in the back of their heads and all three survived, two with seemingly no after effects and one with minor brain damage. I had kicked in the door of a heroin dealer, searched the first floor and found nothing. (I wasn’t aware somebody had beat me to it), then went downstairs and found the three bodies. As soon as I saw them with the blood all over the back of their heads, I naturally assumed they were dead. Who survives a .45 round in the back of their heads? I yelled upstairs to my partner to call the morgue, that I had three dead bodies down there. Just then, I heard, “Ain’t nobody dead here man, call us an ambulance”! “We didn’t say nuthin’ cause we thought you were the dude that shot us”! It scared the living &%#@ out of me! I totally freaked! You can imagine! Then, I have seen people shot in the arm with a .22 and died. It always struck me as strange how so many things in the world of violence make no sense whatsoever!

When I started the Mercedes staff car, This Pontiac Firebird convertible, or possibly a Camaro, popped into my memory from back in 1981. It was an insurance case and had been doused with gasoline inside, then set afire. It was thoroughly burned except by the rear quarter panel behind the driver’s seat. It was completely charred from the front all the way back on the passenger side to the trunk, it scorched some of the paint on the trunk, the driver’s door was charred somewhat, but the rear panel behind the driver could have been used again as it looked factory fresh. The cloth on the inside was blackened but still intact. The convertible top was gone except for about a two square feet portion above that panel and a small area around the back. It was parked in a parking space with nothing near it. The seats were charred as were the dash and door panels. When I was using the process to simulate the burnt effect, I consciously was using that car as a reference.

I use my memories as a cop a lot when I build dioramas. During those 25 years in what, at that time, was the highest crime city in America, (And still is in the top 2 or 3). There were many scenes that looked like Berlin in 1945, great for rubble scenes. As I was modeling tanks and other military vehicles back then, I stored those scenes away for future reference. So many things like that were illogical to me, but much in life is illogical, especially when violence is involved. I could relate stories for weeks on end like these. One last one, OK?

I was driving down a street at about 3AM one morning in 1966. I was still in uniform. A very large fat guy was walking down the sidewalk, a Japanese Samurai sword tsuka, (Handle), sticking out of his stomach and the blade out his back. When I walked up to him, he was really pissed off and yelling that I had better catch the *&#@# who did it to him fast or he would kill him, in his words, “His own damned self”. (I’m keeping the language as mild as possible for the website). Now, I'm knowing I would have already been dead if I had been run through with a sword, but he didn’t even seem to be in pain. Long story short, they removed it at the hospital, it didn’t cut any vital organs or arteries and he was released after a few days.

Sorry, I get carried away with war stories! :)

Just sayin' !

Bob

Superb.

I used to do makeup effects for film and would reference real wounds in medical textbooks, police files, etc. and if I made anything look like that I'd never get any work. What is real and what people perceive as real are two different things. I was once given a set of slides taken from an airliner disaster and there was nothing recognizable as human.

I just found this and WOW! What amazing work! I do love the burned out car. I could listen to those stories all day long. I also love having a full day of uninterrupted modeling; it happens so rarely.

Great work! I'm following this now.

Superb.

I used to do makeup effects for film and would reference real wounds in medical textbooks, police files, etc. and if I made anything look like that I'd never get any work. What is real and what people perceive as real are two different things. I was once given a set of slides taken from an airliner disaster and there was nothing recognizable as human.

Thank you Sir!

I agree 100%!!!

But what has always caught my attention was the bizarre extremes in such things. The other side of the coin! I had some drug dealers up against the wall of a building, patting them down. That was a long time ago in a place far far away, you couldn't do things like that today. Up walks this guy I knew from the streets wearing a white undershirt. He looked normal except from his deltoid muscle all the way to his wrist was nothing more than a bone with a lot of blood on it. All the skin and muscle was gathered around his wrist. I thought somebody had did it with a knife. He was relatively calm and said he had been shot. I called for an ambulance immediately. I thought he was simply in shock and wasn't realizing what was happening. I would have applied a tourniquet but it didn't seem to be bleeding much at all and, besides, there really wasn't anyplace to wrap a tourniquet around.

Come to find out, he had stolen some heroin from a small time dealer. The dealer walked up to him on the street and shot him with a .22 rifle. Somehow, and I'm still not sure how, the bullet entered his arm, between the bicep and deltoid, spun around the bone, I was told several times by the attending physician, severing all the muscles, veins, arteries and tendons and everything dropped down onto his wrist. He died the next day in the hospital. I don't know the cause of death, never saw the autopsy report and that's the extent of my knowledge about it!

BTW, I think the closest movie I have seen that realistically portrayed real bullet and shrapnel damage was in the Omaha Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan, and that was even toned down a bit from what it likely was really like. People have no idea just how fragile the human body is! I know I have since always laughed to myself when I see men strutting around like they are macho!

Bob

I just found this and WOW! What amazing work! I do love the burned out car. I could listen to those stories all day long. I also love having a full day of uninterrupted modeling; it happens so rarely.

Great work! I'm following this now.

Thanks Duke,

I'll be switching back and forth on the five "Logistics" threads for awhile!

Bob

Back