• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Completed January 19, 2021

Re: Logistics, the trucks & Jeeps Update April 6, 2012

BoB ,

:yipee :drinks :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :zen

WoW !! Smokin' job on th Grader !! I really Dig watchin this Dio come together !! Masterful job !

:erik

BoB ,

Slow & Steady Wins th race !! I love your Monumental Dioramas ! I can look at 'em for Hours on end & see something new Every time !!

:erik

Hi Bob,
This is great to follow, I have some of your work in books and I'm very interested in de way you make this big diorama. I always dream about making a big diorama, but till now it's already difficult to finish one subject so I'm really impressed to see what is finished in this topic.
Johanna
Thank you Johanna, All I can tell you is that it is much harder than most people think. There are so many things to consider and far more research than most would imagine. I just happen to like doing them. The fact that I chose five threads to illustrate the build on this one can give you an indication of how complicated/complex it is. Since 1975, I have built around 50 of these, with five being this large. Each new one always takes more time and effort than the last. When this is complete, I will continue modeling, but I doubt if I would ever attempt another of this size, for one thing, I am out of room! :D
Bob
Thanks Bob, I don't think I can imagine how much time it takes to do all the research and building and that why I'm impressed to see how much energy you put in your work. I can only dream of that ;)
Johanna

Hi Bob,
This is great to follow, I have some of your work in books and I'm very interested in de way you make this big diorama. I always dream about making a big diorama, but till now it's already difficult to finish one subject so I'm really impressed to see what is finished in this topic.
Johanna

Thanks again,

Most of it is simply hard work!

Bob

Re: Logistics, the trucks & Jeeps Update 4/14, 2012

Here are two more vehicles I have finished. Actually, I will be turning these out fairly quickly now.

First, a Dodge WC-51 Ambulance from 4th Evacuation Hospital. I used the body of the old Testor's/Italeri ambulance kit and the frame and all other equipment from the AFV club 3/4 ton Command car. I also used a lot of the micro lenses from Grief.

Ambul01~0.jpg

Ambul02~0.jpg

Ambul03~0.jpg

Ambul04~0.jpg

Ambul05~0.jpg

Ambul06~0.jpg

Then the half scratch built Deuce and a half gasoline tanker and trailer shown in various stages in the thread previously.

Gastrk01~0.jpg

Gastrk02~0.jpg

Gastrk03~0.jpg

Gastrk04~0.jpg

Gastrk05~0.jpg

Gastrk06~0.jpg
]

Gastrk07~0.jpg

When I mount these two on the diorama permanently, the safety chains will be affixed in place. I will also post these in the weathering tutorial that will be coming to a close sometime soon.

Bob

Tank truck looks great!! (y)

B)

...very well done,Bob!...the subtle weathering on the vehicles looks super cool!

Best :drinks

Luiz.

...very well done,Bob!...the subtle weathering on the vehicles looks super cool!

Best :drinks

Luiz.

Luiz, I always appreciate your comments. IMO, you are one of the best armor modelers on this site, so, your comments always mean a lot!

Bob

Your weathering is superb as always Bob but what really amazes me even more is the variety of vehicles you use in your dioramas. :snoopy

Your weathering is superb as always Bob but what really amazes me even more is the variety of vehicles you use in your dioramas. :snoopy

Thanks Dave, actually that is kind of a yes and no. There are 8 Shermans in this one, mostly M4A3E8s, but also an upgunned Jumbo and a couple of M4A1 76mms as well. Then there are 9 deuce and a halfs, one a tanker, one a dump truck, but the other seven are cargo. I study war photos and footage a lot. In every column I see of the same type vehicle, there are always variations and I try to mimic that. All the construction vehicles will be removing rubble to clear the roadways, helped by the German civilians. The headquarters staff of jeeps, a staff car, an M-16 half track and Patton's 3/4 ton will be a vignette in itself, but there will also be the ambulance as well as a jeep ambulance moving to the rear in a street packed with refugees and some P.O.W.s guarded by M.P.s Then a jeep as convoy commander for the XYZ Express convoy of cargo trucks.

The three destroyed German vehicles will be here and there with the Diamond T hooking up to one of them to tow away. Then the abandoned BR-52 locomotive with coal tender still connected to the K-5E railway gun in the ravaged cutaway of the train station. So, there are a lot of different kinds of vehicles, but they will have a purpose and a point. One of my pet peeves in dioramas is where there are several vehicles, unrelated to each other just sitting there. The same goes for figures. A dozen figures on a base, each one standing alone doing nothing with no interaction between them.

Sorry about the monologue, just trying to explain the composition. To me, that is the number one most important part of any diorama.

Bob

HARP%2520%252859%2529.JPG

Something about ambulances attract me although I have built very few.

Regards,

HARP%2520%252859%2529.JPG

Something about ambulances attract me although I have built very few.

Regards,

Then we have that in common. That Dodge ambulance has an almost bizarre shape to it, but it is somehow attractive. I wonder why AFV club hasn't released one yet?

Bob

I recently did some threads on a tutorial. I finished up 14 vehicles during that and I just wanted to repost them here in the Trucks and Jeeps thread of the Logistics diorama.

These 14 vehicles plus the Sherman M-32 ARV will end up as 15 of the total 51 vehicles on my current diorama, "Logistics".

Here are the last four, all deuce and a half cargo trucks. There will be a total of seven in the diorama.

First, is the GMC 2 and 1/2 ton dump truck, which will be clearing rubble along with a bulldozer and the scratch motorgrader.

It was more heavily weathered to have a similar appearance as the dozer and the grader.

dump01-1~0.jpg

dump02-1~0.jpg

Then the Studebaker 2 and 1/2 ton cargo, loaded with 55 gallon drums. It was weathered as all the XYZ Express trucks, the successor to the more famous but smaller Red Ball Express. And yes, a tiny few were used by the US Army in the ETO, although most went to the Pacific Marine units or the Russians. I have photographic evidence of two in an XYZ Express column in the final days of WW II.

Studebaker01~0.jpg

Studebaker02~0.jpg

Next up, the canvased topped GMC Cargo. Used a lot of external stowage on this one.

OLDGMC01-1~0.jpg

OldGMC02-1~0.jpg

Next, the GMC Deuce and a half cargo, open back with lots of cargo. All these are weathered similarly as they will be in the same column.

cargo01-1~1.jpg

cargo02-1~0.jpg

The Dodge 3/4 ton ambulance.

Ambulance01~0.jpg

Ambulance02~0.jpg

The Deuce and a half semi-scratch fuel truck.

Fuel01~0.jpg

Fuel02~0.jpg

The Plymouth Staff Car. (Very lightly weathered).

staff01-1~0.jpg

The Diamond T Wrecker.

wrecker02~0.jpg

wrecker01~0.jpg

Four Jeeps, There will be two more, (Built and basecoated, but not weathered yet).

Jeeps01~0.jpg

Jeeps01-2~0.jpg

Then, the scratch built motorgrader photographed with the newly finished Dump truck.

[
Grader01-2~0.jpg

And finally, all the vehicles from the tutorial in one photo.

all01~0.jpg

all02-1~0.jpg

Altogether now, I have 29 of the 51 vehicles built, painted, weathered and detailed. Many even have the figures attached. Most of the remaining vehicles are built and base coated, waiting to be weathered and detailed. I still have five more Shermans to build that I will post on the Armor thread.

Bob

Magnificent, Bob. I love the way, and this applies to all the components of the diorama, each vehicle is individual and unique in it's own way. There is no sense of "mass production".

Great job. Looking forward to your figure thread update.

Rudi

Re: Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Update August 6, 2012

Quite an impressive collection, Bob! :notworthy
Well done.

Cheers,

Bill

Re: Logistics, trucks & Jeeps Update August 6, 2012

They look great lined up like. Very impressive work. (y)

Terry B)

Magnificent, Bob. I love the way, and this applies to all the components of the diorama, each vehicle is individual and unique in it's own way. There is no sense of "mass production".

Great job. Looking forward to your figure thread update.

Rudi

Thanks Rudi,

I try to make each vehicle vary in uniqueness from heavy to light as that seems to be the most realistic. That is actually easier in armor than with softskins, or at least it is with me. As soon as I finish up these vehicles, I'll really get serious with the figures.

Bob

Quite an impressive collection, Bob! :notworthy
Well done.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill!

They look great lined up like. Very impressive work. (y)

Terry B)

Thanks Terry!

whoa - i totally missed that update here and thought your armor update was the only one.

saying that i'm impressed is a vast understatement - it just beamed me out of the chair!

whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

:popcorn

Back