• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ID models Vac 1/32 Lockheed Hudson

That's always a major step forward. Was the canopy included in the kit?
A clear canopy, nose section and top turret are included in the kit.
I wanted to try making my own frames for the cockpit just to see if I could, I liked (still do like) the result but during closing up and sanding of the seams I may have squeezed a little to tight or hit it on something and damaged the very thin and quite weak centre framing as its now broken in thee places and both large side windows have broken away from the glue joints, causing me to rethink and revisit the idea of cleaning up and installing the kit supplied cockpit cover/ windshield.
my own fault for not paying heed, I knew the joint was a weak spot but mishandled it during seam filling and sanding
every failure is a learning experience…so I’m told

Well, I tried fixing my broken frames, tried a few times in fact, kind of a frustrating thing, couldn't get every frame aligned and looking right. I guess the first time was the charm (beginners luck?) so...I added a shim of sheet plastic to the rear of the cockpit opening, another on one lower front side (the vac. clear part was smaller than the window openings I had made) I did much trimming sanding test fitting (a kind of all day job) until I got to a point I think I can live with (no other choice really) if I want to finish this model.
So here's where I am tonight, here's the clear part being fitted:
096.jpg

And with framing added, painted and dipped in "clear"
098.jpg

I've added some "stuff" to the bomb aimers position and masked off the windows and may be able to install these clear parts tomorrow
IMG_5240.jpg
Couldn't resist seeing what it looks like with the airoplane bits added to it and the bench cleaned off a bit
Thanks for looking

It does look great, too bad the framing didn't work out but this looks fine too!

I have a resin 1/48 Fiat RS-14 in the stash with a very fragile resin framing that has a few pieces broken that I'm fretting about when the time comes to build that!

It does look great, too bad the framing didn't work out but this looks fine too!

I have a resin 1/48 Fiat RS-14 in the stash with a very fragile resin framing that has a few pieces broken that I'm fretting about when the time comes to build that!
Fretting….! That’s what I should have used, brass sheet fretting, that would have worked no?

a bit more moving forward (kind of diagonally forward but still)
The nose and canopy are installed and filling/ fairing/ filleting in is mostly done. the clear parts (to remain clear) have been masked off to reduce damage from filler and sanding
108.jpg
109.jpg

Having done much head scratching and procrastinating, I decided on trying SAC white metal landing gear designed for the Trumpeter 1/32 P-38 Lightning. This was duly ordered from Hannants along with Aires wheels. A test fit is very encouraging
106.jpg

And, having a not real confident feeling for the kits engine cowls, a dig through the spares box found surplus (optional) cowls for HK Models 1/32 B-17 E/F I have added a strip of Evergreen .010" plastic to match (kinda) the chord of the kit cowls, not completely convinced this will work either but I'm liking it as a start for another choice.
IMG_5257.jpg

Thanks for looking

I'm trying to fit guns adding fairings from a Ju-87 and have added the last of the structure to the inside of the gear bays, I'll add a couple more pipes (gizmology) to the bays then the pivot points for the main gear legs, then close up the wings I guess.
114.jpg

making and adding ribs to the nacelles;
111.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the encouraging comments, makes it easier to maintain a momentum on the build.
I've begun adding panel lines and rivet details to the fuselage. A lot of the details may (will) need to be touched up after adding the flying surfaces and puttying those joins but I wanted to get as much of the details added without the wings as it's so much easier to roll the model this way and that to scribe and rivet on without working around the wings.
119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

The rivet lines are hard to see (impossible?) but they're there...well, some are anyway.
124.jpg

Thanks for looking

Yeah the rivet lines are hard to see with the white plastic. Get some lead pencil dust on your finger and lightly rub it on the surface and they will pop out. They will also be easier to see once there is paint on the subject.

Keep up the good work!
3D-Thumbs up Lg.gif

Amazing, since you haven't fixed the gun barrels could you cut them back a bit before seating them? Looked like you had the full barrel sticking out and the fairing wouldn't allow where the body of the M2 to be. Not sure that makes sense...no coffy yet. :needcoffee:

Amazing, since you haven't fixed the gun barrels could you cut them back a bit before seating them? Looked like you had the full barrel sticking out and the fairing wouldn't allow where the body of the M2 to be. Not sure that makes sense...no coffy yet. :needcoffee:
Yes, you’re correct, the images shown are just to rest fit the guns in the drilled holes and give an idea of alignment. In actual fact when (if ever) completed the model,is, the barrels will be cut down to around 3 to 5 mm long protruding from the fairings
I kind of mucked up the ball turret in my laziness/incompetence by not backing the thin plastic before attempting to cut open the gun slots. I knew I should, had some putty handy to do it and then dropped the ball and cut a big slice into the turret. So, no top gun (not the movie) on this aircraft

Back