• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

E-Type jag, Scale = big.

paddy

This is Revells re release of their 1:8 scale E-Type Jag ( I think it was called and XK-E in the US)
At the moment its an occasional build as i have other things to finish once i have everything i need to do so.
What can i say about this ?
Well its big, nearly 2 foot long... Detail is very soft and the overall impression is this is a very old model/mold. a model this size really needs detail and while you get most of the basics its down to the builder to make something from them or of them.

s-l1600.jpg

the Limited Edition banner is simply because its a limited re issue, it doesn't have any special parts
Scale mates say this is a re-boxing of the original 1964 Monagram kit although the first Revell incarnation seems to be about 2002, looking at the parts i would think 1964 is about right :)
.As i have mentioned on other build the important thing ai you have all the basics to build the model and the opportunity to detail up ids pretty much endless.

Of course there are other options like the build it week by week DeAgostini version and even a high tech model at over £2000 but for us normal people the £120 i paid for this is more than enough and likely to double with paint and screws simulated leather and carpets etc

Fortunately the web is awash with E-type detail pics of every last nut and bolt so reference will not be a problem.

Here is the Dynamo OTB

_DSC8565.JPG

its not to bad, a separate pully would have been nice, but as i say this is a Revell kits so its basic :)

Here it is with some cleaning up, some paint various screws and a pully nut

_DSC8567.JPG
_DSC8568.JPG

Getting the joining seam out was the only trick bit but quit doable.

Next i will look at the carbs, i am looking at the ancillaries as i don't want to get the whole thing out at the stage as its going to take up the entire bench and i need the space to finish the Bugatti.

these are what you get.....

_DSC8577.JPG

These are SU carbs, any one here who has had an MGB will recognise them, its a shame the carb is moulded with the manifold but i am sure we can do something about this.

_DSC8578.JPG

the 2 halves joined and upside down.

I cain't wait to see what a professional such as yourself does with the crude carb's.
Is this the kit with operating window regulators?

yes that correct but whether they eventually work is to be seen :) I think in its monogram days it was also motorised..

yes that correct but whether they eventually work is to be seen :) I think in its monogram days it was also motorised..
I went thru a "Car Phase" AGES (1976) ago. I had an Old Home Fill'er Up and Keep On A Truckin' cafe' and gas station on a ping-pong table in my Momma's basement.
Later in Life I worked at a Jaguar dealership. Jaguars LOVE electrical parts!
My Monogram XKE didn't have a motor. It was great fun to put together very badly.

I decided to separate the carbs

_DSC8585.JPG

I need to be able to drill into the sides of them and it also makes them easier to paint black and white

_DSC8587.JPG

painting them black and white means when i spray the silver i get more definition between the cast manifold and the machined carb body
easier than spraying to different silvers

_DSC8594.JPG

Note i have now drilled the carbs to take a brass throttle linkage as well

_DSC8593.JPG

Dash pots were the kit chrome as a base and a fine coat of alloy spray as above

My problem now was getting the 3 carbs back in line having cut them up. here they are just balanced to gether

_DSC8603.JPG

I used the air filter to get their position correct and just tack glued them to the engine block

_DSC8606.JPG

this means i can attach the top pipe work again to hold the whole lot together again

i made some linkages for the operating bar with piano wire

_DSC8613.JPG

And fitted the whole lot together

_DSC8611.JPG

Now i can remove the air filter and look at attaching some fuel pipes and clean up those seams. I thought the filter went up to the carb but it doesn't so you can see those seams on the inlet trumpets

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding redundant, it's obvious this will be another museum masterpiece after you get done with it. Just what I'm already seeing confirms my comment, let alone you being one of the few I've ever seen who can make a car kit look like it's on the show room floor, race track, or on the street.

My smart aleck question is this; Do you already have a set of keys for this kitty, Paddy!;)

Lots of differences here, from my 65 E-Type. I remember the throttle linkage being under the manifold, and the water manifold was different. This photo looks like what I remember. The fuel lines were attached to the float chambers with banjo fittings, and if you need it I still have a key for mine.

Jaguar-E-Type-106.jpg

Hi John
The Revell kit is a 1963 3.8 litre, by 1965 they were 4.2 litre with quite a few changes like the throttle linkage and air cleaner.

1963-jaguar-xke-series-i-3-8-roadster.jpg

This is a 3.8 with the top throttle linkage and the smooth airbox although i do concede i have got the fuel connectors wrong.
The problem is, rather like spitfires, finding an original; Mk1 set up 85 years on to copy is much like finding a 1963 Mk1 3.8 jag to copy 65 years on :)
The above picture is pretty close though
Nearly all the other Revell jag builds like this i have seen have triple Weber's like below because the kit SU.s are actually under size

I don't think it really notices and not sure replacing a slightly undersize set of carbs with a completely wrong set is really the answer (wrong as in not factory fit)

s-l1600.jpg

I made a start on the engine which once again is pretty basic

_DSC8644.JPG

I thought a coat of black might inspire me

_DSC8648.JPG

Then masked off the head which is not a seperate part , gave the top of the head a coat of gold and gave the ultra shiny chrome rocker boxes a coat of silver to tone them down a bit ( may need a bit more as they are just alloy not chrome.

_DSC8649.JPG

_DSC8651.JPG

Managed to find a proper Lucus label for the dynamo :)

Back