• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ID models Vac 1/32 Lockheed Hudson

Iiiiiimmmmm baaaaackkkkk
I've made up some props using spare hubs from a HK Models B-17 and 1/48 bomb noses, prop shafts from telescoped aluminum tubes to make all the bits compatible
143.jpg

146.jpg

And fitted the wings...sounds easy when I say it that way. Well I had the wings fitted and was sanding seams when I decided I couldn't live with the lopsided dihedral (I knew about it earlier but thought I could live with it..Nope) I had to break the seam on the bottom of the left wing to force it down but ended up needing to finally break the wing completely off the model and remove about 2mm from the lower in order to get the wing tip down and even with the right wing. Now that's all done, filling and sanding is back underway.
147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

and now I've begun work (while the tamiya putty sets up) on the engine fitment
150.jpg

151.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, it definitely keeps moral up on the build.
I spent the last couple of days working on the cowls and have decided I'd like to try fitting the B-17 cowls to the model (but haven't washed up the kit cowls as yet either) so I've gone ahead and added (purely fictional) details to the cowls to improve the fit (and to help centre the engines in the cowls) so to that end, I've added cowl flaps to a strip of .010" small pieces of channel and some rod and strip to the insides of the cowls, wires and rods to the engines...may look ok under paint
152.jpg

153.jpg

155.jpg

157.jpg
160.jpg

161.jpg

Thanks for looking

The playing continues (for now) I just got a smoking deal on a Trumpeter 1/32 F-14 D so I ordered a bunch of resin p.e and decals for it
(just to make up for how much I didn't pay for it)
I've put some paint on and, finished construction of the Pratts and, added some Alclad "Airframe aluminum" to the cowls and props in the hopes of weathering the paint into the aluminum...somewhere down the road in the future.
162.jpg

164.jpg

166.jpg

That's all for now
Thanks for looking

Having scratch built most details it seems a little off to use decals for markings so, with that in mind I've begun adding the roundels. The markings are mostly done now and the roundels can be masked and camouflage painting can now be added.
In my opinion, the whole reason to build models...paint them.
167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

That's all for now
Thanks for looking

Do you have a method for cutting circles or is it just good old scissors ?
I use a "Shadowline" circle cutter, like a bearing and race with an adjustable knife attached. The knife is adjustable on a slide of 1.5" so it can cut up to a circle of 3"
As well, I also use a compass cutter. The compass cutter is great for overlaying concentric circles because each circle has a small hole from the pivot point that (if careful) can be aligned with a pencil point or pin to a previous center marking.
Here's the Shadowline;
IMG_5358.jpg

cuts perfect circles but impossible to cut concentric circles as you never know where the center point of each circle is.
when cutting small pieces of plastic, the blade can/will grab and fold the plastic and/or tear it, the piece being cut needs to be taped to the bench or be large enough that the outer ring holds the whole piece being cut down

Here's the Shadowline;
View attachment 156735
cuts perfect circles but impossible to cut concentric circles as you never know where the center point of each circle is.
when cutting small pieces of plastic, the blade can/will grab and fold the plastic and/or tear it, the piece being cut needs to be taped to the bench or be large enough that the outer ring holds the whole piece being cut down

Seems very similar to this one (which I thought was overpriced):
1674749766853.png

Reviews post out exactly the same limitations you noted. Thanks @chrispisme!

I use my old drafting compasses when I don't use my vinyl cutter. I have blades that fit in the side for the lead, same round shape and diameter, I think Exacto was the source for the blades.

I use my old drafting compasses when I don't use my vinyl cutter. I have blades that fit in the side for the lead, same round shape and diameter, I think Exacto was the source for the blades.
Same here about the compass but then had an upgrade to this prior to buying my Cricut Maker:
1674790404352.png

Back