• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/32 F-16I SUFA

Greg Kimsey

1000005829.jpg
Well, I really liked the way my Kinetic 1/48 Israeli F-16I turned out, but I think I can do better. This was sitting on the shelf in my store and I thought to myself "Well, I already paid for it, so technically it is mine.. right?" So off to another Israeli build. Quite obviously I have a thing for Israeli stuff. I didn't know I did, but after building a tank, then the F-16, and another tank on the "to be built later" shelf, now this. Meh, read into it what you will. I know absolutely nothing about Irael or their military, although I did love Zeva David on NCIS, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is the most beautiful woman in the world and maybe in history. (My opinion, I am entitled!)

This is the Academy 1/32 Israeli F-16 Sufa. I am using two aftermarket kits as well; an Aires resin wheel bay kit and a ResKit resin wheel set. I put the coffee cup in the picture to give scale. The box is huge!

In the latest Fine Scale Modeler mag I read the reader tip "organizing parts at the bench" on page 7. Basically it is a way to get rid of the large sprue trees. Forgive me that I did not take photos of the sprues before I stripped them. I didn't think of it until it was done. Here is what is left of them...
1000005822.jpg

And here are the images of what they looked like from the instruction manual;
1000005806.jpg
1000005807.jpg
1000005808.jpg
1000005809.jpg

Ok, so the article says to go through the instruction book, and for each step listed, cut out the parts for that step and put them in a zip lock bag. More than one step can be included in a bag, or split a partcularly large step into "a", "b" and note it on the instruction sheet. Write the step number on the bag and set it aside. Go through the book, making notes about decisions you make on work flow or different version choices. Here is one bag...
1000005818.jpg

After all the steps are done and parts are bagged, clip all of the unused parts and label...uhhh,..."unused parts". I took that a little further and put parts for particular ordinance not used into its own bag and labeled it as the type and scale. (ie 1/32 500lb GBU-38 JDAM) After all the bags are finished and the sprue trees discarded it is time to clean the parts. I dumped each bag into a low pyrex glass pan and scraped seam lines, sprue tabs, etc then cleaned with 70% alcohol. I put the pieces back in the bag and wrote a circled "C" for "cleaned". Here are the tidied up bags and the article...
1000005828.jpg
1000005826.jpg
1000005825.jpg
1000005824.jpg

Sorry about the glare, but you get the idea. Here is the box with the bagged and cleaned parts much more compact and easy to find...
1000005830.jpg

I am hopelessly disorganized. I usually have sprues stacked up all around me and have to search for the right sprue and part. I waste TONS of time doing that, as well as I am notorious for missed parts and don't realize until the very end and have to go backwardsto see what I missed. The "unused parts" list was helpful to me as I cut those pieces and bagged them for each sprue. If there was a part left on the sprue I knew I had missed something and went back to the instructions, found which bag that part should be in and put it in there. All of this took just a few hours, and now I feel I have a streamlined workflow ahead of me. Take the parts out of the bag, assemble, paint, whatever. The author said it cuts his build time in half, even including the prep time. Man, I hope this helps me! I feel it already has.
1000005821.jpg

Guys, I am tired of looking for this answer which shiuld be easy to find. How wide are the restraint belt on F-16 ejection seats? Either IRL and I will do the math, or 1/32 scale will do. Thanks!

It’s a great kit, you’ll have a great time with it!
braver than me removing the parts from the trees!!
if I may make a suggestion, the Reskit exhausts and Zacto intake are beautiful additions to the kit and a drop in fit with the Aires resin parts

I actually did make progress on this model. I have the seats finished and am relatively pleased with how they turned out. I tried using Tamiya tape for the seatbelts but the paink kept flaking off so I switched to flat lead solder strips. I used some race car buckles that didn't look too big (at least not to me).
1000006008.jpg

I experimented for future reference with paint on Tamiya tape. Lacquer and acrylic flake off like crazy, but enamel worked very well. I rolled and bent the enamel painted tape all over the place and the paint held up very well. So, fyi.

I also made progress on the cockpit area. This large scale sure dies make it easier to paint details!
1000006010.jpg
1000006009.jpg

I still want to dry brush a little along some edges and maybe pinwash with dark gray.
That's it for now. Saturday is our store's 25th anniversary and we have been working late getting ready for that, which has eaten into my modeling time significantly :(
I am ready for Saturday to come and go!

The cockpit dials and whatnot are finished. I have the seats installed. The instrument panels go on in nearly the last step of the instructions, but I like the way they turned out. I have also piped and wired the rear landing gear bays. I primed with Alclad gray microfiller, then painted with Model Air white. For the details I used my magnifier opti lens, a Winsor Newton Series 7 size 000 brush, Testors enamel flat black, fire red, gloss white, chrome and gold; going back and forth between colors. I would paint a wire which inevitably wobbled onto the white so I would touch up with white, which would get on the black wire, so I would touch up with black, then white, until no more booboos were noticeable. Same with the red, chrome, and gold. The gold is minimal, just to add a little interest.
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0107.JPG
DSC_0108.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG
DSC_0110.JPG
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0112.JPG
DSC_0113.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG

Back