• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ID models Vac 1/32 Lockheed Hudson

In my experience, a fillet is a specific type of fairing, used at the intersection of a flying surface and either another flying surface or some other part of the aircraft having an intersection with a flying surface. Fairing is a more general term, perhaps an illustration would be the bulges on Spitfire wings over the cannons. Fillets are found where the intersection is not 90 degrees, so the Spitfire has wing fillets, but the F4F and Corsair do not.
@jeaton01, this too is 100% my experience when earning my A & P licenses (Airframe and Powerplant).
The wing fairing would be 100% correct in the UK so British aircraft. Personally i think both terms work well ;)
https://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/28280-wing-root-fairing/
@paddy, this is a Mooney aircraft made in Texas being restored. I am not sure how a restorer's use makes it a use of 'fairing ' for British aircraft. The British Spitfire manuals use the term Wing Fillet.

Yet, I can see why there is confusion as both definitions have "smooth junction where two surfaces join" in their definition.

From the book, British Standard Glossary of Aeronautical Terms (revised August 1940):

1672597288961.png

1672597192535.png

TMI, as usual.

I'm not sure if I'm procrastinating/ putting off working on the clear nose section but, I've added a few more details to the cabin area, I think I may be able to splash some interior green around in there now.
I've begun finishing the rear flooring (need to finish the riser between the rear part and the main cabin. I've added what looks like machine gun mounts(?) and flare tubes or something above and beside these mounts. As well, a couple of seats (also left over from a HK Models B-17)
IMG_5205.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg

Thanks for looking

It gets complicated, because a fillet is a kind of fairing, but with a special purpose of eliminating drag at intersecting surfaces, in US usage. It has exactly the opposite purpose aas vortex generating tabs on wings, or other areas where turbulence causes airflow to remain close the the surface and lift of control surface effectiveness can be improved. In the case of the fillet it eliminates drag by preventing turbulence.

In Stuart's world there is the possibility that it is a case of differences in language once again separating a common people.

No fillet on this Lockheed, it's a 90 degree intersection aty the wing roots.

Hi Chris
Do you have a small drill press or do you punch the holes in the evergreen ?

Last edited:
You and me both Barney!

And no Chris, you aren't doing badly, and are not scaring us of for that reason. In fact you are doing such a magnificent job that we simply recognize how far and away better than us you are, especially at this type of model.
Wut he saya

Hi Chris
Do you have a small drill press or do you punch the holes in the evergreen ?

paddy
I do not have a drill press, I use pin vice drills and small hole punches....I should say I not have a "small" drill press, I have a drill press out in the shop (attached garage) that I use mostly for metal work, wood work and spinning pieces of razor sharp flat metal in a horizontal plane in an attempt to systematically remove skin from my fingers.
Wait, you built one of those?

Outstanding scratch building!
Nope, not one...I built two of them...and have another in the stash!
Thanks for the scratch building nod!

Ahh i see, I have a mini drill press with a pin chuck but its not a lot of good on sheet even if you back the drill off it tends to snatch above 1mm. I have a punch and die set but it only goes up to 2mm.

Looking fantastic. I'm still wondering how you will do the windscreen glazing, but loving the project.
Now just to add more confusioon to the mix my interpretation of fillets and fairings. A fillet would be used to fill in an area. So lets say you have a wing to fuse meeting, there could be a gap between the skin so techs can get in and reach the wing attachment bolts or wiring or whatever. The fillet would be straight. But a Fairing in the same situation would be shaped to give aerodynamic flow and would fair the skin of the aircraft to the skin of the wing. How I remember is one fills the gap while and one fairs or shapes and smooths.
James

I’m past worrying about the fairing fillet discussion
if it’s ok with you...
Sometimes a brain fart works out, I've got all the side windows glued in now and will use the same(ish) method on the windshield and cockpit side windows.
here's a couple of shots of the progress (micro crystal clear still drying)
These are .005" clear sheet styrene
085.jpg

masking tape going on to attempt the same method on the cockpit windows
086.jpg
087.jpg

Thanks for looking

This makes the window thickness is more to scale. :vgood:
So you're having to cut the windows yourself. how are you going to handle the curvature? :popcorn

Hmmmm Compound curves ?
its a problem i have been wondering about with your rib structure in the fuselage halves, ie: if you dont put the correct bend in them they will try and straighten and you lose the shape of the fuselage half. Presumably for this reason, given the lightness of the window frames you have to get most of the shape into the "glass" before fitting ?

Anyway enough of this nonsense, tell us more about the wing fairings :)

Canopy is looking good hiding under the tape there. This whole build is mind boggling for me. So much work to learn from. Love it. :Drinks:

Back