• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iberian Warrior

jknaus

Administrator
Okay no pics just yet, hopefully tomorrow. I seem to have found some modeling passion again though and having completed the Soldier of Christ last weekend started this figure. It is a 75 mm Pegaso figure of a Spanish Celt from Roman times.

Now here is why I am posting early. Do any of you figure guys have an idea on how best to paint fox fur? I think I want to do a red fox. Vallejo or oil, I doesn't matter which. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.
James

Re: Ibirion Warrior

Hi JK,

Id go for oils personally, I know Im an acrylic man , but I think the blending of the fur would be better suited for Oils

My 2 cents/pence

Andy

Re: Ibirion Warrior

Hi James,

Nice to hear you are doing more and more figures.

As for the fur, I will suggest a mix approach.

First use acrylics for the base color, then start highlight and shadow as you normaly do, maybe even with more contrast.

When you have finished and you will be happy of the volumes (don't worry about blending and transition at this point), mix oils.

Because oils, are semitransparent if used in small quantities, start to paint on top of the acrylic, and start the blending, letting the highlights and shadow to be seen.

Basically you smooth the acrylic base and use the best of both words.

I hope this is clear, if not, please let me know.

Ciao

Giovanni

Okay did this in oils. I used Indian Red and Cadmium orange and yellow ochre. I hope this looks like what I was trying to achieve, a fox fur. I will work on the white next then the belts. Dropped the figure and chipped one knee. Will have to touch up.

iberion1_20100711_1434222538.jpg

iberion2_20100711_1890467454.jpg

iberion3_20100711_1214625780.jpg

I think the skin is my best yet Eventually I will get the hang of it. I really dont like the Andrea colour systems. Probably because I suck at using them. I will redo the white in oils.

Comments are welcome. I was driving at learning this art to perfection (or close to it) but it just annoyed me that I wasnt achieving. So currently I am painting to have fun and take my mind of the day to day gring. Not bad this is number 5 this year.
James

That is looking pretty good James.

coolminiornat.com is a great source of painting techniques from both the novice and the world's best figure painters. Sure it is aimed more towards the fantasy end of the stick but the techniques are the same.

Fur is really good for using darker washes to really bring out the individual strands. Even if you don't want to wash the whole pelt it works for the darker areas to define different materials such as belts and straps. Start with a colour a bit darker than your main painting as you know it's easier to apply more and go darker.
A very light drybrush to the tips can also bring out the fur.

looking mighty fine!

the only way to bring figure painting to perfection is to paint one after another so your approach is optimal! so don't be annoyed when you don't meet your own expectations yet! :)

Hey James,

You're off to a nice start. Personally I don't think I'd have gone the oils route for the fur, I'd probably have stuck to acrylics, but that's just me. FWIW, painting fur is little different to painting a beard or head of hair, just over a large surface area... ;)

Rudi

Kreighshoer wrote:
looking mighty fine!

the only way to bring figure painting to perfection is to paint one after another so your approach is optimal! so don't be annoyed when you don't meet your own expectations yet! :)

My friends have told me I'm my worst critic. For some reasonthough the figure painting bug has hit me like a ton of bricks, worse than when I was a teen doing Historex Napolionics. So I'll keep painting, but the getting better is still eluding me. Oh well at least I am having fun.
James

Rudi Richardson wrote:
Hey James,

You're off to a nice start. Personally I don't think I'd have gone the oils route for the fur, I'd probably have stuck to acrylics, but that's just me. FWIW, painting fur is little different to painting a beard or head of hair, just over a large surface area... ;)

Rudi

Thanks Rudi. Acrylics seem harder to me but still worth persuing. Some fellows gave me a paint mix to try in oils, but nothing in acrylics so thats why I went oil. I might try the white tunic in acrylics again and see what I can do with it.
James

Hi James,

Strangely I'd (personally) probably go the opposite route, that of oils over acrylic for the whites (as opposed to straight acrylics).

Although some years ago now, I probably had more success painting white using oils over enamel than straight acrylic. I hope you don't mind my posting these pics in your thread. Now unfortunately I don't have any pics of recent adventures in painting white, and both of these figures are early works and several years old now.

The first is a 54mm Andrea Miniatures Knight Templar, painted oil over enamel. An extremely over exposed photo, but if you squint slightly with your head to the side you can almost make out what I'm attempting to demonstrate.

Templar_20051104_4.JPG

This next one was a Stadden Duke of Wellington, my first "all acrylic" figure - so please excuse it's poor standard. There are many mistakes here, but hopefully it demonstrates, well, something :unsure:

DukeOfWellington_06.JPG

About 3/4 years ago I started a 54mm EVD Sertorian Legionary (the enemy of your Iberian warrior). The tunic of the fellow is also white. Bear in mind when painting whites of this period, that "white" wasn't white as we know it, but a rougher, courser white probably closer to cream. The guys over at Mike Butler's "The MedRom Forum" have very many discussions about the ancient colours and dyes - I highly recommend that site for anyone even vaguely interested in the Romanesce periods.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the later work on my figure, but here's one which contains some early acrylic work on the sleeve. I had started experimenting using mini painting styles on historical figures prior to leaving South Africa. Unfortunately this figure is still awaiting completion. You'll notice the off-white undercoat, to which I'd started applying a range of washes for shading. Next up would have been many thin highlight coats, followed by a glaze to tie it all together.

SertorianLegion_27.jpg

The thing I was happiest about with this figure was the bronze helmet. If you're interested I'll find the recipe and post it here for you.

Rudi

p.s. apologies again for highjacking your thread with my mediocre efforts ;)

Not a problem Rudi. I'll take any help I can. I am still trying to figure things out so my mind is changeable.
James

Ted wrote:
That's a great little army you're building there James. Keep posting these works-in-progress.

Thanks, As long as I'm having fun I'll keep painting. Just shy of a month and I'll be unemployed and living off the government, so might actually increase my output for a while. See what happens.
James

Being your own worst critic can stifle both output and enjoyment of the hobby.I am such a pefectionist that the second something didn't meet my expectations I would put it down and walk away. Needless to say not much got finished and part completed figures seemed to breed everytime I turned the light off and shut the door.

Ozzie Jo wrote:
Being your own worst critic can stifle both output and enjoyment of the hobby.I am such a pefectionist that the second something didn't meet my expectations I would put it down and walk away. Needless to say not much got finished and part completed figures seemed to breed everytime I turned the light off and shut the door.

Thats me, through and through. I guess we just have to relax and build for the joy of building. If you figure that out let me know the secret :laugh:

James

jknaus wrote:
Ozzie Jo wrote:

Thats me, through and through. I guess we just have to relax and build for the joy of building. If you figure that out let me know the secret :laugh:

James

Hi there James.

You need a sign over your work area but still in vie that reads, "I BUILD FOR *FUN*!" or, "SOMETHING BEATS NOTHING!"

Cheers from Peter

Well tried vallejo and Andrea again today. I'll let it dry and go back to oils tomorrow. White is tough.
James

Where I'm at now.

ib2_20100717_1511121651.jpg

Have to repaint a bit of the leg as I managed to chip it. Start on leather next. White still did not come out right. So it is what it is or I'll never finish it.

ib1_20100717_1239379647.jpg

Comments welcome. Even if my painting doesn't reflect the advice I still listen and try.

James

Back