• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

101st AIRBORNE AT CARENTAN, JUNE 1944

Always happens so, thank you @Steve Ski!
332860397_1309372632966875_4998141974736319023_n.jpg

Interesting. I'm wondering if they'll include a figure as well. My second kit of the original did "not" include the driver. However, be careful with those track links, they are testy!

Leg Workout

Now that the work area is larger, and less complicated without so many folds in the pants, this portion moves along much faster. Pre-shading can be seen on the front, back, and sides.

_DSC09213-vi.jpg
_DSC09242-vi.jpg

_DSC09263-vi.jpg
_DSC09282-vi.jpg

The end results with the boots, leg straps, and hands painted. Freddie’s head is ready to take possession of his body. The patches are printed on standard printer paper and glued on using Elmer's Carpenter glue.

_DSC09302-vi.jpg
_DSC09322-vi.jpg

With the flag mounted and Freddie completed he will be placed in the curio cabinet awaiting the finish of the rest of the crew.

_DSC09332-vi.jpg
_DSC09362-vi.jpg
_DSC09372-vi.jpg

_DSC09402-vi.jpg
_DSC09412-vi.jpg
_DSC09432-vi.jpg

Hank is on the plate, “Batter Up!” I would ponder to guess this historical photo was the inspiration for Hank. Hank has been sculpted pretty close to this original, IMHO.

8db8stairbornedivisionnormandy-vi.jpg

Pre-shading has been worked into the entire upper torso and blending of the tones begins.

_DSC09472-vi.jpg
_DSC09492-vi.jpg

More to follow soon and thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

Hank Reporting for Duty

_DSC09642-vi.jpg

Hank is ready and in the mood to get busy with this scenario. I’m calling him done minus a slight touch up at the base of his neck and a slight darkening of his bayonet.

Here’s a few in-progress photos before his legs were worked, but the process has been the same as Freddie. The Khaki tone is slightly more towards the tannish tone range compared with Freddie. Billy will be right next to Freddie when I mix the palette for him. Since these two will be right next to each other I don’t want any noticeable tonal variations.

_DSC09502-vi.jpg
_DSC09522-vi.jpg

Hank will now be set aside in the cabinet to await his fellow jumpers. I really don’t feel like playing with a broken bayonet, so he won’t be staying in the model bunker.

_DSC09552-vi.jpg
_DSC09572-vi.jpg
_DSC09582-vi.jpg
_DSC09612-vi.jpg
_DSC09632-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching and holler if you see anything I may have missed.

Cheers, Ski.

Hank turned out to more closely resemble Kelsey Grammer, I think. I marvel at your end results every time!:vgood:

Hank turned out to more closely resemble Kelsey Grammer, I think. I marvel at your end results every time!:vgood:
I think ya better add him to the list, Rhino, it's gettin long:drool: Just wait til the German figure comes up, his name has already been changed to "Bob":blink, as per MP's posted pic, perfect look-a-like.
Better and better every time I look!!
Thanks, Tony, I appreciate that, Brother!

Billy Bob, from Kentucky, is Ready for Duty, with a Smile, or smirk!

_DSC09662-vi.jpg

Billy was handled in the same manner as Hank and Freddie. Close attention was paid to the palette tones this time around to get as close as possible to his mate, Freddie. Like I mentioned before, redressing color tones on the palette can be a pain, but I recon we’re mighty dang close on this run. After all, they are standing next to each other in this scenario, they need to be looking like they got their uniforms at the same time.

_DSC09682-vi.jpg
_DSC09692-vi.jpg
_DSC09702-vi.jpg

_DSC09712-vi.jpg
_DSC09732-vi.jpg
_DSC09742-vi.jpg

The format for painting Billy was simple enough, just do it again, for the third time, lol. The one gripe I have is the right hand, it’s rather kinda “Bozo” in appearance, but oh well, Ruck On. There really isn’t much I could do about it short of a re-sculpt and I have not talent in that arena.

Here Is the trio front and center in a group photo. I am happy with the results so far.

_DSC09762-vi.jpg

Now it’s time to get into the splinter camo pattern of the SS and get to work on “Bob”. Ya, that’s right, a German Bob. Lol, I can hear it already, or again, like it hasn’t been brought up before,….. a German “Bob”? Ya gotta remember, this is a comical scenario which will be evident soon enough. I’m having fun on this trip.

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Oh, Bob,…What Were You Thinking?

It’s been a long run, but not longer than most. We’re done with the figures, finally, and Bob has rounded up the crew to wrap up this set of figures. This was my third run at the splinter pattern and it gets easier each time. Once the initial pattern is laid down the rest is just a matter of keeping the liner brush straight when making the splinter strokes. No, it’s not easy, but it’s just as matter of staying focused on each and every stroke.

_DSC9823-vi.jpg

_DSC09832-vi.jpg

_DSC09862-vi.jpg

_DSC09892-vi.jpg
_DSC09913-vi.jpg
_DSC09932-vi.jpg

I’m satisfied with the results, so carry on we will,………… The shadows and highlights are a simple matter of blending in some dark oils in the creases and lighter tones of the initial coat base onto the high points. The helmet decals were printed to scale and touched up with oils for more clarification.

Let’s make some Whiskey bottles, Champagne, or even some vino bottles, shall we? Let’s make em. Here’s how;

_DSC09803-vi.jpg

This was a pretty slick way to get a few more extras into the scenario, so just a bit of practice and we’re good. Good thing my pretty little woman had some glue sticks in her inventory. After making the bottles I used Tamiya’s clear colors to make the bottle tones, simple enough. I ran a search for WWII French bottle labels and printed them up and glued them in place. The possibilities are numerous, but this scale worked for me this time since I’ve never seen 1/16th or 120mm wine bottle anywhere, just scratch built.

Time for dirt work and veggies, and then the base will be ready for figure placement. Now the show begins, cause if this ain’t right, it’s all in vain, and we didn’t come this far to jack it all up, did we? Ruck On, Bby!

More to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

Back