• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Clerget 9B Rotary Engine Factory Vignette

SdAufKla

Well, I haven't posted anything here on MA in a really (really!) long time, mostly because I haven't done any personal modeling work in a couple of years. However, after I finished up the last project that I was working on (a very large, 1/72 scale diorama of Vietnam Fire Support Base RIPCORD which can now be seen in the atrium of the SC State Museum at the entrance the the SC CRR&MM), I decided to build something that had absolutely zero olive drab on it!

This is the Hasegawa 1/8 Clerget 9B Rotary Engine in a Clerget-Blin & Cie. factory setting. I admit to swallowing the red-blue pill and taking a rather deep dive down into the ol' research rabbit hole. The engine build features a lot of 3D parts that I designed and printed myself along with replacing most of the nuts and bolts with miniature hardware. I made new valve springs from brass wire and did a ton more scratch-building on various details. I'll spare you the boring blow-by-blow and tedious repetition of "and then I added ____ ..." The kit needs a lot of work. Out of the box it's a fair representation, but most of the details on the accessory case side are missing, and the details that are there are... well, let's just say... "questionable" in regards to accuracy.

The engine stand is scratch-built out of Evergreen styrene stock with home designed and 3D printed castor wheels. I used two-part epoxy putty to replicate the weld beads. The kit provided engine stand sort of represents something that might be seen in a museum and is not a proper work-assembly type stand.

The toolbox and tools are 3D designs I downloaded from a website called TinkerCad. It features 2D and 3D designs that have been uploaded by their creators who want to share them. I did do some re-mixing (i.e. design modifications) on the toolbox and tools to get what I was looking for, but I can't claim credit for the original CAD work on those. I did print them on my desktop 3D printer, though.

The 1/8 scale French factory worker is an original 3D sculpt and print by a friend of mine, Luis Hidalgo (aka "Holden8702" on FaceBook). Luis does all sorts of custom 3D designs and prints, mostly figures though, in all scales and subjects. I did a little work making some minor changes and additions, all the normal kinds of stuff you might do with any figure. I painted the figure in artist oils over acrylic undercoats. He's mostly there to add a sense of scale for the viewer. The prototype engine is about 40" in diameter which translates into 5" in diameter in 1/8 scale. That is, it's ginormous! Without the figure (which is over 8" tall), the engine model lacks anything that puts its real size into context for the viewer. Anyway, that's Michel's job!

The base is made of strips of wood veneer that's sold to edge plywood (usually for making shelves or cabinets). It's hot-glued down to a piece of 1/4" plywood. I drilled holed and inserted pegs made of wooden toothpicks to simulate the fastening of the factory floor boards. After sanding, I finished up the raw edges of the thin plywood with Durham's Water Putty and stained and distressed the "floor." The title plate is a copy of the prototype brass engine data plate. I had made a 1/8 scale copy to go on the engine (a detail conspicuously missing from the kit), so I scaled that up to fit on the base and printed it out.

126-Finished-Vignette-01.jpg
127-Finished-Vignette-02.jpg
128-Finished-Vignette-03.jpg
129-Finished-Vignette-04.jpg
130-Finished-Vignette-05.jpg
131-Finished-Vignette-06.jpg
132-Finished-Vignette-07.jpg
133-Finished-Vignette-08.jpg
134-Finished-Vignette-09.jpg
136-Finished-Vignette-11.jpg
137-Finished-Vignette-12.jpg
138-Finished-Vignette-13.jpg
139-Finished-Vignette-14.jpg
140-Finished-Vignette-15.jpg
141-Finished-Vignette-16.jpg
142-Finished-Vignette-17.jpg

Last edited:
Every bit of that is cool! Do we get to see Ripcord?
I'll resist the temptation to post up any Ripcord dio photos in this thread. The project was done by our AMPS chapter members over about 2-1/2 years (working at my shop). It was commissioned and paid for by the museum, and we got a lot of help from the veteran's association with researching details and encouragement and motivation. The complete build was recently featured as a serialized, 3-part article in the AMPS Boresight magazine, after which the FSB Ripcord Association re-published the article on their website. Here's the link to the article on the association's site:

FSB Ripcord Association:: FSB RIPCORD Diorama

Overall, it was a great project, but not one that I'll be repeating anytime soon.

Everything but the humidity, wind and dust! Mr. Victor Charlie must be skulking about somewhere, unseen.
Michael Wayne and his bulldozer! So many little stories being told. Absolutely Outstanding!

Everything but the humidity, wind and dust! Mr. Victor Charlie must be skulking about somewhere, unseen.
Michael Wayne and his bulldozer! So many little stories being told. Absolutely Outstanding!

LOL! I won't tell you where they're at, but there is a small vignette of a PAVN recon team outside of the wire. They're suitably camouflaged and lurking downhill below the line of sight of the perimeter fighting positions, but they are there... For anyone interested in the history of the fire base, they might be note that the PAVN was never bold (or stupid!) enough to actually attempt a ground assault of RIPCORD.

The battles around the base during OPN TEXAS STAR featured a conventional campaign composed of TWO, regular army corps - one allied, US and ARVN and one PAVN (aka NVA). There were two+ allied divisions, the US 101st and the ARVN 1st INF along with corps level arty and CAS. On the PAVN side were two divisions of PAVN regulars plus corps support sapper and VC regiments and arty. The overall campaign was a large as many of the conventional battles fought during WWII between allied and Japanese forces in the jungles of a number of Pacific islands or on the Asian mainland in Burma or China. Frankly, the battles for FSB RIPCORD were some of the largest combat fought during the Vietnam war that no one's ever heard of.

Mike wow! Thanks for sharing this. Love it, the metal tones are spot on!! i for one wouldn't be bored with your work in progress photos. Love to see progress shots.
:tens:

The engine build is exceptional Mike!
Well Done.gif

LOL! I won't tell you where they're at, but there is a small vignette of a PAVN recon team outside of the wire. They're suitably camouflaged and lurking downhill below the line of sight of the perimeter fighting positions, but they are there... For anyone interested in the history of the fire base, they might be note that the PAVN was never bold (or stupid!) enough to actually attempt a ground assault of RIPCORD.

The battles around the base during OPN TEXAS STAR featured a conventional campaign composed of TWO, regular army corps - one allied, US and ARVN and one PAVN (aka NVA). There were two+ allied divisions, the US 101st and the ARVN 1st INF along with corps level arty and CAS. On the PAVN side were two divisions of PAVN regulars plus corps support sapper and VC regiments and arty. The overall campaign was a large as many of the conventional battles fought during WWII between allied and Japanese forces in the jungles of a number of Pacific islands or on the Asian mainland in Burma or China. Frankly, the battles for FSB RIPCORD were some of the largest combat fought during the Vietnam war that no one's ever heard of.
O-M-G!!!!!

That is one extensive project!

There is another up in Gettysburg. They built the entire Gettysburg battlefield in HO scale. It has lighting for the buildings and campfires. There is a program that goes through with a video and lights up the areas of the battlefield showing the particular areas where battles took place. It was worth the $8.50 to see it and see the program.
20190311_091151.jpg

Stunning work and the WIP pictures give as all something to aspire too. ..or maybe dream about :) Well done.

you'd make some good money on the CAD design stuff also Mike. :vgood:
That's just crazy good, my friend. You've definitely upped the bar. :vgood: :good: :tens:
CAD and 3D printing are both mature tech with low to modest consumer costs now. I believe we're only going to see more and more "average" modelers adding these capabilities to their workshops as time goes by. Us "fine scale modelers" are actually behind the power curve with home 3D printing.

Model railroaders, table-top gamers, and hero-fantasy figure modelers have a really big head start on us. Desktop Masked-SLA (aka "resin") printers have come way down in price over the last year and half, and the newer, next-gen MSLA printers are already on the street. There are a number of free CAD programs available, too, so there's no reason why anyone interested in the tech can't add it to their "kit bag" of modeling skills and techniques.

Mike, I have one question. As I come from an engineering background, I tend to think about form, fit, and function on stuff when I build things. It has solved a number of troublesome situations.

In this photo the engine is mounted on the rolling mounting, but there are parts that stick out such that the engine cannot be easily removed from the mounting.

The workmanship and attention to detail are over the top and quite excellent don't get me wrong. If I saw this at a convention I would ask the same question.

080-Finished-Engine-and-Base-12.jpg

Mike, I have one question. As I come from an engineering background, I tend to think about form, fit, and function on stuff when I build things. It has solved a number of troublesome situations.

In this photo the engine is mounted on the rolling mounting, but there are parts that stick out such that the engine cannot be easily removed from the mounting.

The workmanship and attention to detail are over the top and quite excellent don't get me wrong. If I saw this at a convention I would ask the same question.
Call it "artistic license," if you will, but of course the engine couldn't be fitted through the hole in the assembly stand with all the accessories attached to the rear. It also couldn't be installed directly into any of the aircraft that used it when so assembled (since they all had engine mounts that were functionally similar to the stand depicted).

On the other hand, the engine would be pretty dull looking without the accessories mounted on the accessory case side of the engine. Perhaps they're doing a test fit and check of all the parts before disassembly and shipping? Perhaps assembling an engine with all its accessories as a display for a buyer or for instructional purposes? Who knows?

As for my part, I found the technical details of the magnetos, the gun gears, oil and air pumps, etc. to be interesting enough to warrant inclusion. There's actually a lot of interesting technical history behind things like the "Nilmelior high tension direct ignition magnetos," the "Tampier block tube carburetor," and the "Sopwith-Kauper Gun Gear No. 1" (aka "interrupter gear") that I wanted to include them (since they were all either missing from or greatly simplified in the kit).

For instance, Tampier who devised this particular carburetor also invented what is known today as the control quadrant used in aircraft. The company is still in existence making bridge-to-engine-room ships telegraphs. The block tube carburetor didn't use what we think of today as fuel metering jets but rather a tapered tube with a matching tapered pin that was drawn in an out to increase and decrease the fuel flow. The "throttle valve" worked more like today's choke valve.

(In fact, I intentionally left the air intake manifold off just to show the simplicity and design of the block tube carb. That's it on the floor with its paper gasket and mounting nuts.)

The Nilmelior magnetos are similarly interesting being one of the first magnetos that created enough power to make spark directly without needing a separate condenser or capacitor. (Although the design was something of a knock off of a Bosh design from the same time period.)

And so it goes... Artistic license, if you will. The accessories add to the aesthetics of the finished model, at least for me.

Last edited:
Outstanding work Mike!!! Excited to see you posting here and hope it become a normal stop for you in the future.
:victory:

Back