• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GWH SU27 Finished

Painting done bar the area round the gun, i need to get that just right if its going to fit with the Digi camo.

_DSC6546_01.JPG

Looking good!! I built the Academy kit, and it does require a lot of paint. Applying those decals is going to be a real challenge. Gary S.

I have spent this week pretending i dont have any decals for this :).......messing about with peripherals....., anything but decals.

_DSC6568.JPG

what i have found is the decals are very thin. All you need to do is dip them in and straight out of the water so they get wet for less than a second and they will willingly jump off the paper.
Also because they are thin i cant pick the small ones up with a small paint brush as usual because they just fold up on themselves IE they dont want to stay flat once off the paper so i need to think how i am going to get them from paper to model... no second chances with a lot of these decals.

Itys certainly something to try but a lot of these decals are maybe 2mm and its not always possible to get in confined spaces with backing paper as well.

I am looking at a way of sliding the decal on to a transfer tool then on to the model .

The panel that protects the aluminium for cannon residue is quite easy to add as it pretty much follows some of the panel lines. It has to be spot on as it also forms the edge for some of the camo decals. Small amount of over spray o one of the seats will easily clean off.

_DSC6574.JPG

first impressions on a horizontal stabilizer with the decals is good. The colour on the decal goes right to the edge so there is no carrier film to silver. They sit well on the MRP paint without a gloss or future coat which is a bonus and they sit down in the panel lines with some micro sol.
You do need a lot of care as they are fragile because there are some large areas with very small joins between them and i am very conscious there are no second chances.

_DSC6579.JPG

I got my coffee cup warmer from China for £6.00 inc airmail post :) ( how do they make this and send it half way round the world for £6 ?)
It keeps a bowl of water pretty warm for decals and plugs in to a usb on the computer screen.

_DSC6587.JPG

and I made a start on the decals. this took 2 hours but it was really absorbing and actually quite an satisfying thing to do.
I love that the decals have no carrier film edges and the super smooth MRP means they decals go on really well
Very pleased so far
Canopy will be open but i closed it to align up the canopy decals

_DSC6586.JPG

Decal sheet at the bottom corner shows decals 90-100 and thats just the dark blue sheet :cool:

Thanks Greg :)

So this is where i am at now.

_DSC6590.JPG

Camo decals are now finished. These decals are on a different level to the normal you get in most models. Ultra thin but ultra strong, no carrier film, accurate given a lot of these shapes are made up of several different decals and they align perfectly., They make for a very rewarding job with no nasty surprises and react perfectly with Micro Sol for the uneven surfaces.

Sorry about the poor picture and the mess , i tend to work in total chaos, but i will sort some decent pictures soon.
There are now over 200 stencil decals to go over these :)

Looks great, Paddy. I hope the stencils work as well. You would think there should be no silvering over that substrate.

Back