• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Feedback needed on Armoured Fury download size

tanktrax

Dear Members,

The most recent issue of Armoured Fury (Issue 4) was about a 25MB download. What I need to know from members is if the file size is getting too large for people (especially those on slow download links or possibly even on dialup).

We have a number of options to reduce the file size.

The first is to use a low setting for generating the PDF file. The downside to this is that the quality of the images (which is really what AF is all about - showing off the kits) is reduced considerably. As an example, compare the image quality in issue 2 (both the normal and HD version).

The other options are to either reduce the size of the pictures or reduce the amount of content in each issue (ie. fewer pages/section). I'm not a fan of this option as I expect AF will only grow and have more features over time.

Or we can provide, like with issue 2, low quality and high quality versions and give members a choice?

So what do other members think? Please provide some feedback as this will help in producing future issues.

John

With my fastest speed being SONET and the slowest 50Mbps Fiber Optic, I have no issues with the file size.

Yet, what about breaking the issue into PDF pages in a gallery format? People see the thumbnail and download only the pages they want. So download one, click on the second while reading the first, move onto reading the second while downloading the third, click on the fourth while reading the third, move onto reading the fourth while dowloading the fifth, click on the sixth while reading the fifth, move onto reading the sixth while downloading the seventh, click on the eighth while reading the seventh, move onto reading the eighth while downloading the ninth, click on the tenth while reading the ninth, move onto reading the ninth while downloading the tenth, ...
how many pages is Armoured Fury?

Regards,

I like it the way it is. Using my laptop is slower than the desk top but it isn't a problem. If some still have slow or dial-up connections then I guess a hi def and low def would work ala issue 2. Big thing to remember is that as long as your enjoying doing this for us life is good. If you have to do too much drudge work, it wont be so fun and you might lose interest which altruistically is bad for us.
James

I'm reporting James' post to the moderator for making way too much sense.

BTW, this site has not be tested by anyone on the staff for dialup compatibility. I seriously doubt it would load.

you know, making sense got me in trouble in the CO's office this aft. I second the motion to report James to the moderators for a prompt whipping with a wet noodle.
James

No issues here. It's a great addition to the site and for me at least, downloads in a few seconds.

Matt

I am on Dial-up so I download it when I have access to high speed. I don't even try to load it on dialup. So don't let me keep you down. Keep up the good work. It is great and I am in the minority. :unsure: :unsure:
Cheers
John

I am happy the way that it is.I would much rather the better quality of pic so I can make out the fine detail. Being able to enlarge the pic without loss is a nice feature too.

Just my 2 bobs worth ( not wise to say on this site)

Ozzie Jo wrote:
I am happy the way that it is.I would much rather the better quality of pic so I can make out the fine detail. Being able to enlarge the pic without loss is a nice feature too.

Just my 2 bobs worth ( not wise to say on this site)

Oh no , we do not have to worry about two bobs , Bob Letterman is "Poppy" , Bob Britt is "Moon Pup" now the only one we have is Andy who is now "Boba" :unsure: ... although we could call him Jango :hmmm .

Jenny :kiss:

andyfettes wrote:
:laugh: nice to be famous :laugh:

Thats Infamous Boba Fettes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BobaFettes.png

Hehehehehe I just won a bet with my little sister Mel , she thought Luke Skywalker stabbed Boba with the light sabre , but it was the big hole in the desert that got him :woohoo: well with a little help from Han Solo ! :)

Hooray for Jenny :mpup :mpup :mpup :mpup

Back