• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

F4U-1A - Colouring-in done (pic heavy)

Very nice Ian...looks great!...like the subtle painting effects... :good:

Regards!

Luiz.

Top job on the paint fading Ian. (y)

With its glossy finish its somewhat difficult to evaluate the paint fading but from what I can see its looking very nice indeed, the only thing I might do if this was my model is add some tiny mottling in a color just barely darker than faded color used to fade the panels on the fuselage and wings so not all of the panels appear as solid large pale squares.
Its really difficult to decide at this point how far to go with paint fading on a model since the markings and flat clear coat will totally change how the finished model looks. :idonno

Matrixone

the only thing I might do if this was my model is add some tiny mottling in a color just barely darker than faded color used to fade the panels on the fuselage and wings so not all of the panels appear as solid large pale squares.

Matrixone

Yep, good point, Les. Think I'll just limit the mottle to the lighter blue tho' as there's quite a lot going-on within the darker tone.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks all, appreciate the time you've taken to comment.

Started decalling this morning and the whole 'tone' of the model has just lifted. I'm really happy with the way it looks now. When I start the deeper weathering the tone will obviously change again, and then again when I matt it all down. I plan on adding a little light grey into the matt varnish on the topsides which accent those sun scorched areas a little more.

AFN.

Ian

Thanks all, appreciate the time you've taken to comment.

Started decalling this morning and the whole 'tone' of the model has just lifted. I'm really happy with the way it looks now. When I start the deeper weathering the tone will obviously change again, and then again when I matt it all down. I plan on adding a little light grey into the matt varnish on the topsides which accent those sun scorched areas a little more.

AFN.

Ian

Sorry for the lack of comments . Hard to evaluate while it is so shinny :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A - decalled

Never used Ventura decals before, exactly like Tally Ho (probably same printer), they stick like limpets, as thin as a coat of paint and very responsive to Micro-Sol. Excellent product !!

h34a3c96.jpg

h2ffb7d9.jpg

ha897e6d.jpg

hc6b0308.JPG

Probably won't get any bench time over the weekend, and then not until at least Tuesday next week. When I do the first job will be a light oil wash into the panels. Thanks folks for taking the time to look and/or comment thus far. More in a few days.

Ian

F4U-1A - decalled

Never used Ventura decals before, exactly like Tally Ho (probably same printer), they stick like limpets, as thin as a coat of paint and very responsive to Micro-Sol. Excellent product !!

h34a3c96.jpg

h2ffb7d9.jpg

ha897e6d.jpg

hc6b0308.JPG

Probably won't get any bench time over the weekend, and then not until at least Tuesday next week. When I do the first job will be a light oil wash into the panels. Thanks folks for taking the time to look and/or comment thus far. More in a few days.

Ian

Oooohh , I'm liking this a lot (y) (y) (y)

Good to hear someone still knows how to make decals . I thinks I have some of theirs in the stash :coolio

Looks so much better without the glare :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

F4U-1A - decalled

Really like the finish Ian. And I love that it's a bit of unique markings. Really cool!

Mike

F4U-1A

Not much progress this week - simply I've done the same work to this build as I have to the Shelf Queen Hurri. So the undersides have been 'dirty black washed' and I've added just a couple of streaks with a lot more to follow soon.

h32154d8.jpg

h72eb4c6.jpg

As for the topsides, because the F4U seemed to fade and chip in very specific areas I needed to be a whole lot more controlled in how I reproduced this effect. I think I've got it, but as ever I'll take any and all suggestions...

h99f1c08.jpg

hb7cc170.jpg

h82c327f.jpg

Remember the chipping will 'calm down' after a couple of light washes and more streaks'n stains have been applied. Please let me know what you think.

AFN

Ian

Back