• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-4J Phantom II - F I N I S H E D

ij001

Well-known member
So this will be the last update until I we leave 'National Lockdown'. I'm out of glossy white, and that's obviously what I need to progress this project.

15 1 primed.jpg


15 2 primed.jpg



As it is now, it's wearing two coats of Tamiya white primer and is all prepped for it's top coats. Got another project to jump into (my Jag build), you'll see that in due course. Have a great Easter break all. Best from NZ.


Ian.
 
Last edited:

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I tried something like this on a F86 years ago in NMF, it turned out pretty good but I couldn't get that stinkin' yellow stripe to work for me.
 

helios

Well-known member
Love trying new things. I sort of did something similar, though less varied w/ the RF-4. "I wonder if I use some brown preshading back under the engines it might simulate oil soaked undersides?" Worked out well enough that it's something I usually do now going forward.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
 
Last edited:

iambrb

Well-known member
Holey-Moley that is some neat work! Ian, the initial pic, that is the era I like, with the hi-visibility markings. Neat an I look forward to it’s progress
 

ij001

Well-known member
It's Saturday evening here, and this morning I was able to finish-up the main paintwork.

19 paint done 1.jpg19 paint done 2.jpg19 paint done 3.jpg
As with the grey, they're all Tamiya acrylics thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinners at about 60%. Next will be a couple of gloss coats ready for decals. More next week, have a great (and safe) weekend, all.



Ian.
 

ij001

Well-known member
Ready for 'stickers':

20 decal ready 1.jpg
20 decal ready 2.jpg20 decal ready 3a.jpg20 decal ready 3b.jpg

Two 'wet coats' of Tamiya 'Clear' thinned 50% with Tamiya lacquer thinners sprayed over a 'Flory Wash' - I used a mix of (roughly) 70% Light Dirt to 30% Dark Dirt. After it dried and was wiped-off, I went back into the wing-fold recess and last couple of panel lines aft of the lower wing-root with 'pure' Dark Dirt, just to emphasise those panels a little more.

More during the week.


Ian.
 

ij001

Well-known member
Three sessions over four hours and it's going well.

21 1 decal progress.jpg

21 2 decal progress.jpg

21 3 decal progress.jpg

21 4 decal progress.jpg

First time using Furball decals - they're bl**dy superb, so glad I invested in another sheet for my USMC Phantom aswell. Stay tuned folks, more during next week. Have a great (and safe) weekend.

Ian.
 

Mo_

Member
That is looking NICE! I know what you mean on all the stencils. The only phantom I've done was Tamiyas 1/32. Took me forever.
 
Top