• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-1A * * F I N I S H E D * * Now with 'scenery'

F4U-1A

Ian,
Chipping looks good as is, the only thing I would add is some green zinc chromate to the edges on a few of the paint chipped areas. Also maybe add some wear marks to the wing roots to represent the paint being scuffed up, zinc chromate dry brushed on would look good.

Matrixone

F4U-1A

Ian,
Chipping looks good as is, the only thing I would add is some green zinc chromate to the edges on a few of the paint chipped areas. Also maybe add some wear marks to the wing roots to represent the paint being scuffed up, zinc chromate dry brushed on would look good.

Matrixone

Completely agree, Les, just a wee bit nervous of getting it wrong.... :hmmm . Anyhoos I'm off now until my next contract which starts on Friday, so I can get-on with this and the Hurri !!

Thanks all for the support and feedback, chaps. Always appreciated and never taken-for-granted.

Ian

F4U-1A

You know, I WAS going to say that your pre-shading felt too stark and too regular, but it turned out beautifully. I'm glad you used enough paint to colour over it well. That's such a beautiful little kit.

F4U-1A

Streaks'n stains here too !!

hdf7dad8.jpg

h99c6405.jpg

h26f0ced.jpg

On the topsides, I've tried to replicate the signature oil/fuel leaks from the upper cowl area, that flows down the sides to the root. Once again I'm very happy to take any observations and suggestions, but I have to say I'm pleased with the 'look'.

h798cb88.jpg

he7f5626.jpg

h02b5054.jpg

hdfcf7eb.jpg

Please make as many comments as you want, I'm really pushing-up against my 'modelling skills envelope' on this one, and need all the advice you can give !! Thanks in advance for looking and/or commenting.

Ian

F4U-1A

The oil/fuel leaks looks perfect as well the subtle chipping...I am very pleased with te look too :good:

Luiz

F4U-1A

A DIRTY girl, I like DIRTY girls :popcorn

Thank you folks, even you Dave (I think). This morning I took a very deep breath, fired-up the compressor and shot a coat of satin varnish at just the upper surfaces. Not because I've finished with the effects, but because I'm just so d*mn pleased with the stains on the forward fuselage, I felt I had to seal them away before I did any more 'fiddling' and then end-up with it spoiled.

Man, I'm getting disciplined in my middle-years :frantic

Ian

F4U-1A - On finals now !!

So whilst work has taken a deep bite in to my bench time, I've still managed to steal an hour or so here and there over the last week or so. First off, I had a great idea to subtly highlight the fabric panels on the wings, outer flaps and tail surfaces. Once the overall satin varnish had properly cured, I masked around the aforementioned fabric areas and shot a very light mist coat of Humbrol Matt Cote.... It worked brilliantly !!

ha9d3723.jpg

h0f4f0be.jpg

You can see in these shots the degree of reflection in the 'metal' areas, and the total absence of reflection on the 'fabric' sections. Man, my tail was up after that session !! - More in a minute, hang-on.

Ian

A less 'experimental' procedure, the exhaust stains using just Tamiya 'smoke' and very, very low pressure on the compressor. Built-up slowly over a number of passes. Again, I'm very happy with the result.

h0f783f6.jpg

Another couple of pics to finish this update. Just general shots around the airframe.

hcd24193.jpg

hc01877f.jpg

h3cde0ba.jpg

h927cc1d.jpg

h216c955.jpg

Just the nav & landing lights to paint. All the undercarriage doors, aerial masts and drop tank to attach and the canopy to unmask. Last job will be to add the aerial lines from lycra thread...

...yep, nearly there, so chance to say a sincere thanks to all here who have commented upon and supported my first 'Kiwi Build'. Cheers all, hopefully I can get wrestle this thing to the ground over the weekend.

AFN

Ian

Looks great Ian, one thing, wasn't the trim tabs metal, wouldn't it be neat to off set them with a touch of gloss to oppose the fabric matt? :popcorn

Back