• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Does Family History factor in with your modeling?

She came to Canada for something different. He was going to Texas sponsored to be in the ANG. Korean war started and he had enough combat so turned right at New York and came north. Least thats how I heard it. Then again one of his sisters married a Canadian Spitfire ace when she moved to Canada :) He was a Clunk driver if i remember correctly.

That's funny..one of my EARLY ancestors came from England with the Huguenots heading to Nova Scotia to grow grapes, they got blown off course and landed in Charleston, they took a vote and said they ain't getting back on that ship. So the Governor of SC granted them some land in the "back country" and we ain't moved yet. :rotf That was 1768.

Some interesting histories Piet & James. MP, I have heard similar stories of ships being blown off course & the passengers deciding to take up residency in the unintentional port instead of venturing on to their intended destination since some of the ships were over crowded or, they just didn't like being seasick!

The resparking of the hobby for me came about after some talks with my dad after my grandfather died. I had no idea while he was alive that he was a Marine with the 5th Marine Division at Iwo Jima and Okinawa...he was such a sweet, mild-tempered man...would've never suspected it. Dad served two tours as a Seabee in Vietnam-- he gave me both his and Pipi's "yearbooks" from their time serving.

My other grandfather was in the infantry in WWII and was on board a transport ship that was torpedoed by a U-Boat. He was picked up with a British cruiser and went on to serve in the ETO...married a French war bride and moved back here to NY. That war bride was no slouch either-- my Nana served in the Macquis- and was a nurse in the war as a cover...she was later betrayed by a "friend" and was put into one of the concentration camps. She survived though and had an amazing life up into her 80's...I did this scene for the Well Done build when I first joined MA...
004~51.jpg

Her father in France was a calvary officer in WWI...don't know a whole lot about him-- but my Pop she married- his father was in the American Infantry-- I was given his helmet from the Great War and there is a trace of an Indian Head on the helmet...but I don't know too much else about him either....still have family in France though and hope to visit some day.

The resparking of the hobby for me came about after some talks with my dad after my grandfather died. I had no idea while he was alive that he was a Marine with the 5th Marine Division at Iwo Jima and Okinawa...he was such a sweet, mild-tempered man...would've never suspected it. Dad served two tours as a Seabee in Vietnam-- he gave me both his and Pipi's "yearbooks" from their time serving.

My other grandfather was in the infantry in WWII and was on board a transport ship that was torpedoed by a U-Boat. He was picked up with a British cruiser and went on to serve in the ETO...married a French war bride and moved back here to NY. That war bride was no slouch either-- my Nana served in the Macquis- and was a nurse in the war as a cover...she was later betrayed by a "friend" and was put into one of the concentration camps. She survived though and had an amazing life up into her 80's...I did this scene for the Well Done build when I first joined MA...
004~51.jpg

Her father in France was a calvary officer in WWI...don't know a whole lot about him-- but my Pop she married- his father was in the American Infantry-- I was given his helmet from the Great War and there is a trace of an Indian Head on the helmet...but I don't know too much else about him either....still have family in France though and hope to visit some day.

Things we find that we never knew growing up!! Let alone while they were still around. Stories like this are very interesting

I've been spending time working on my family tree this weekend since I heard that my cousin Kelly & her parents are planning to come down for a weekend & my cousin is really interested in what I've dug up on the family so far! :woohoo: B) Just realized I have over 2,500 people in my tree now & quite a few records attached (birth, marriage,death & Census) along with some ship manifests on some of my ancestors who migrated from England.
Just found a couple who came over from the Czech Republic in the mid 1800s. All fascinating to me! :geek

My sister is deep into the whole family history thing... As long as they weren't in the IRA, I'm good.

However, she has come across documentation that shows the Grandpa Millisor and Eddie Rickenbacker knew each other...

Columbus was a small town in the early 20th century.

My sister is deep into the whole family history thing... As long as they weren't in the IRA, I'm good.

However, she has come across documentation that shows the Grandpa Millisor and Eddie Rickenbacker knew each other...

Columbus was a small town in the early 20th century.

I hear ya there! Have yet to find any seriously famous people in my tree outside of Charles Francis Walsh who died in Trenton,NJ in 1912 by a sudden stop from a 2,500' drop after his aeroplane collapsed. He was the 1st licensed flyer in Calif. Charles Walsh

The Millisors are one of the early settlers in Ohio... we have lots of connections with famous Ohioans... Clement Vallandingham was related, Clark Gable is a distant relative, but that was then... we are just part of the masses today...

The Millisors are one of the early settlers in Ohio... we have lots of connections with famous Ohioans... Clement Vallandingham was related, Clark Gable is a distant relative, but that was then... we are just part of the masses today...
Alot of my ancestors wer in Ohio. Wilmarth, DAY, Schoonover, there's probably more but, that's off the top of my head. Wilmarth line was in Butler Co., Day in Champaign Co.

I made an interesting discovery this morning... Been adding birth, marriage & death records to my tree on Ancestry & one cousin (distant cousin) caught my eye. S/Sgt. Robert P. GILROY b. 1918 in Iowa d. 16 JAN 1998 in Iowa. He had a Military headstone so, I dug into it as he was assigned to 547 B Sqn, 384th BG 1944. He enlisted in MAY 1942 & discharged in OCT 1945, Ok, he flew in a B-17...
I wasn't expecting to find out his plane got blasted out of the sky by a direct flak hit at 29,000 ft! Flak hit the aircraft between the bomb bay & the cockpit. Instant fireball & dropped 1,000 ft & the thing broke in half, wings fell off!!
Of the 9 crewmen aboard, 5 survived & became POWs.
B-17G serial Number 44-6149, Sqn Code: SO*U lost 11 OCT 1944 Plane's name was "Hot After it" crashed near Mayen, Germany. MACR: 9478 Normally RObert was a Flexible gunner but, had served as a Tail gunner on a few missions & on this particular flight, he was a Togglier/Nose gunner.
From what I can see, he only flew on that aircraft once. He was assigned to pilot: 1st LT. Max Levine's crew & they flew various aircraft Lead Banana, Little America II, Dark Angel, Parker's Madhouse, Satan's Playmate, Nevada Avenger, Mairsy Doats and, Misbehavin'
So, now, I got another B-17G to build :dance But, still gotta finish the one I got started tho :blush:

Very Cool... I have a cousin, at least I think he is still alive, who was awarded the DFC for kicking incendiary bombs loose from the bomb bay of the B-29. They were hung up in the bay, the fuses were armed and he was the skinnies guy on the crew... another cousin who flew B-24 missions out of Africa and Italy for 2 years... when he was close to going home he would transfer to another Group and "lose" his records... Yup he was crazy... How many of us, today, would volunteer to keep flying combat missions and intentionally 'misplace" our records to do it?

My family in the States came from Sweden between the two wars and my parents ages fell too young for Korea, told old for Vietnam, so for military history I'd have to go back to something involving longboats I think.

My wife's family has interesting history in WWII. Her grandfather is one of five boys in Germany. He was over here on tour as a boxer before the war, stayed and fought for the US, getting killed by a sniper in Brest. Of his four siblings, one died in a camp as a political prisoner, one died fighting with the Wehrmacht and the two others survived. My mother in law as a young girl met one of the survivors in NJ. He was a SS officer about to be shipped to a POW camp down south.

Very Cool... I have a cousin, at least I think he is still alive, who was awarded the DFC for kicking incendiary bombs loose from the bomb bay of the B-29. They were hung up in the bay, the fuses were armed and he was the skinnies guy on the crew... another cousin who flew B-24 missions out of Africa and Italy for 2 years... when he was close to going home he would transfer to another Group and "lose" his records... Yup he was crazy... How many of us, today, would volunteer to keep flying combat missions and intentionally 'misplace" our records to do it?

THat's kewl Barney! That's why they call it the Greatest Generation!! They were definitely a different breed back then!! I knew a guy that was on B-26s during the Poleski (?) raids and a bomb hung up so, he had to go into the bomb bay & dislodge them! There was a write up a few yrs back in the Ventura County paper about it. He got the DFC for it years later!

I've been spending alot of time on Ancestry the past couple weeks updating my tree & chipping away at one of my major brick walls. My 3rd great grandparents Amzi Lewis FAIR b. 1800 Died:?? andEmeline ADAMS b. 1810 died:??? Seen dates on both of them from 1854-1866. I have State & Federal Census reports on them from 1830 to 1860 and nothing after that! I honestly believe they were abducted by aliens!! :idonno Well, this evening, I found someone who's also researching them & has his date of death as 1884! So, I shot them a messege & got a reply so, I responded with my request for infoso, we'll see what happens!! :dance
I've been working on associated lines in the Rockland, Sullivan, NY area and added a bunch of people & now have just shy of 3,000 people in it!! B)

Hey, just remembered, Cindy's uncle was at Pearl. I never knew him. John Moss was his name, they think he was on the Arizona but I have no way of knowing.

Hi Bob,

I happen to have a photo that I took at the Arizona memorial last September. There is no John Moss listed on the monument there - only men who lost their lives appear. There is a T L Moss listed though, possibly a different person I would imagine.

Hope this helps
h6a22e77.JPG

Laurence

Thanks Laurence, Eddie found his name listed on a crew roster for the USS St. Helena CL-50. I brought this up with my Ma-in-Law and she just doesn't know and unfortunately there's no one else who would know. All of John's family is gone and she's the last of her generation at 92 years old.

Back