• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Does Family History factor in with your modeling?

My wife's dad has been slowly working in the genealogy of my family since about 2009. He has also been doing stuff with her family since the 1970s. So he has extensive records on just about everything now. So far we know that I had a relative die in a crash of a C-47 during Operation Market Garden. My great Grandfather served in the Artillery Corp during WWI, I had a Grandmother who worked in the shipyard in Vancouver during WWII. She helped build Jeep Carriers. Funny thing is Sarah's Grandmother worked at the Kaiser Shipyard in Portland at the same time. But she built Liberty ships.Going further back I had relatives that fought on both sides of the Civil War. Also the war of 1812 and the Revolution. Coolest thing we discovered so far is that I am related to Daniel Boone. So far we have hit a wall at 1641 which is when a guy named Maynard Journee, later changed to Journey came over from Dunkirk France and settled in New Amsterdam. Would love to get back further on my paternal side. Now on my maternal side we found records back to Scotland and discovered that I had relatives that also fought alongside William Wallace. So maybe my family knew Kenny's family (y)

That is very cool guys. I never dug around for military backgrounds on my family's side. I do have a brother-in-law that was on the USS Nimitz in the late 70's. I do have a great great grandfather, James Littlejohn Gibson, that was a Methodist circuit rider preacher whose Scottish father was in the British Army occupying Ireland in the early 1800's. The Gibson family is part of the Scottish Buchanan clan which called Loch Lomond home. One member of the clan was part of the betrayal of William Wallace but the clan as a whole fought with Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn. I don't have too much information on the Loups.

My focus for modeling is Louisiana's rich history.

I have a line to Clan Shaw of the Chattan Confederation from the area of Inverness and Spey. They too supported Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn and susequent raids into England and Ireland. The clan was called out to support the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 (The Old Pretender). They didn't officially support the Rebellion of 1745 (The Young Pretender) but many clansmen fought with the Jacobites.

Probably the most famous member of the clan is Farqhuar Shaw, a private of the Black Watch. When the regiment was marching to London to be inspected by George II, rumors spread that they were to be sent abroad, against promises made at the time of enlistment. Approximately 100 men mutinied and began to march back to Scotland. They were intercepted and surrendered in Northamptonshire. The three ringleaders, including Pvt. Shaw, were executed by firing squad at the Tower of London in July 1743.

Cheers,
Rich

Anyways, I did a quick search and found a Thomas Lee Moss who went down with the Arizona! http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.kentucky.counties.christian/1324.1365.1368.1/mb.ashx

Ok, found a John Moss aboard the USS St. Helena CL-50 and docked at 1010 dock where Pennsylvania was suppose to be...
http://www.usshelena.org/kleppspearlharbor.html

There's an aerial photo showing where she sat at the time. My greatgrand uncle J.T. Philpy was aboard the Honolulu CL-48 and was at the 1st berthing [concrete pier]

I wonder if that was him. I'll poke at them a little more to see if they know. Thanks Eddie! :captain[/quote]

Well while enjoying each other's company during our (still ongoing) power outage I brought the subject up with Ma-in-Law and had her read the passage you gave me Eddie. Short story is she just doesn't know, she knows he was at Pearl and that he had to jump off the ship to save himself. She thought he was on a tanker, she also said that he was out of the service in 1943 which to me means he either got a medical or something less than desirable discharge. According to her he just wasn't a very nice guy and had troubles all his life.

Short story is she's the last who would know and she doesn't know. It was an interesting conversation as she talked about her time in Mobile working at the shipyard while they made Liberty Ships and then her traveling to San Angelo to be with her Husband for the rest of the war. That's another story though.... :rotf

Thanks for looking into it. :good:

Anyways, I did a quick search and found a Thomas Lee Moss who went down with the Arizona! http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.kentucky.counties.christian/1324.1365.1368.1/mb.ashx

Ok, found a John Moss aboard the USS St. Helena CL-50 and docked at 1010 dock where Pennsylvania was suppose to be...
http://www.usshelena.org/kleppspearlharbor.html

There's an aerial photo showing where she sat at the time. My greatgrand uncle J.T. Philpy was aboard the Honolulu CL-48 and was at the 1st berthing [concrete pier]

I wonder if that was him. I'll poke at them a little more to see if they know. Thanks Eddie! :captain[/quote]

Well while enjoying each other's company during our (still ongoing) power outage I brought the subject up with Ma-in-Law and had her read the passage you gave me Eddie. Short story is she just doesn't know, she knows he was at Pearl and that he had to jump off the ship to save himself. She thought he was on a tanker, she also said that he was out of the service in 1943 which to me means he either got a medical or something less than desirable discharge. According to her he just wasn't a very nice guy and had troubles all his life.

Short story is she's the last who would know and she doesn't know. It was an interesting conversation as she talked about her time in Mobile working at the shipyard while they made Liberty Ships and then her traveling to San Angelo to be with her Husband for the rest of the war. That's another story though.... :rotf

Thanks for looking into it. :good:[/quote]

Yer very welcome Bob. :good: At least it gave ya something to discuss during Blackout conditions :geek
My grand-aunt Jackie worked the Long Beach shipyards & went on to Douglas Aircraft Co. in Long Beach & retired in I believe 1965.

My wife's dad has been slowly working in the genealogy of my family since about 2009. He has also been doing stuff with her family since the 1970s. So he has extensive records on just about everything now. So far we know that I had a relative die in a crash of a C-47 during Operation Market Garden. My great Grandfather served in the Artillery Corp during WWI, I had a Grandmother who worked in the shipyard in Vancouver during WWII. She helped build Jeep Carriers. Funny thing is Sarah's Grandmother worked at the Kaiser Shipyard in Portland at the same time. But she built Liberty ships.Going further back I had relatives that fought on both sides of the Civil War. Also the war of 1812 and the Revolution. Coolest thing we discovered so far is that I am related to Daniel Boone. So far we have hit a wall at 1641 which is when a guy named Maynard Journee, later changed to Journey came over from Dunkirk France and settled in New Amsterdam. Would love to get back further on my paternal side. Now on my maternal side we found records back to Scotland and discovered that I had relatives that also fought alongside William Wallace. So maybe my family knew Kenny's family (y)

I too may be related to Daniel Boone :huh: Seems his uncle Squire Boone married a Susan (?) DAY daughter of John DAY Sr. and her brother, John DAY Jr. may be the father or, grandfather of my 5th great grandfather Samuel DAY b. 1764-1767 in PA died 1851 in Champaign CO.,OH He married Isabell DUNN in 1789 and lived in Frederick COunty,VA until like 1835.

That is very cool guys. I never dug around for military backgrounds on my family's side. I do have a brother-in-law that was on the USS Nimitz in the late 70's. I do have a great great grandfather, James Littlejohn Gibson, that was a Methodist circuit rider preacher whose Scottish father was in the British Army occupying Ireland in the early 1800's. The Gibson family is part of the Scottish Buchanan clan which called Loch Lomond home. One member of the clan was part of the betrayal of William Wallace but the clan as a whole fought with Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn. I don't have too much information on the Loups.

Well Kenny, glad to see you posting here. Sounds kewl having a Bro-in_law aboard Nimitz! I have lots of ancestors whom had served aboard Carriers as Naval Aviators and, Ship's compliment. As far as my Irish roots go, I can't get past my 4th great-grandfather Thomas Connolly b. 1787 Ireland died 1850-51 OH or WI and his wife Catherine Martin.
But, I got back into modeling again after a 25+ yr hiatis due to my having learned of some of my more interesting relatives I had never known. So now this is my other main hobby obsession/addiction. Has been since NOV 1996

It can be tough getting much farther back in Irish roots. Much of the National Archive was destroyed in the Civil War in 1922-23, just after they had collected the majority of county and parish records. Many of the Catholic churches made copies of their records before sending them in but not all have made them public yet.

I have traced my Irish family back to 1788 in County Cork. Sometime before that, they may have come from the Palatinate in what is now SW Germany as the family name is Holtsbaum.

Cheers,
Rich

Well Kenny, glad to see you posting here. Sounds kewl having a Bro-in_law aboard Nimitz! I have lots of ancestors whom had served aboard Carriers as Naval Aviators and, Ship's compliment. As far as my Irish roots go, I can't get past my 4th great-grandfather Thomas Connolly b. 1787 Ireland died 1850-51 OH or WI and his wife Catherine Martin.
But, I got back into modeling again after a 25+ yr hiatis due to my having learned of some of my more interesting relatives I had never known. So now this is my other main hobby obsession/addiction. Has been since NOV 1996

It can be tough getting much farther back in Irish roots. Much of the National Archive was destroyed in the Civil War in 1922-23, just after they had collected the majority of county and parish records. Many of the Catholic churches made copies of their records before sending them in but not all have made them public yet.

I have traced my Irish family back to 1788 in County Cork. Sometime before that, they may have come from the Palatinate in what is now SW Germany as the family name is Holtsbaum.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich for that info. My 2nd great grandfather Edward Joseph CONNOLLY was born in JUNE 1835 in CarrickMacross, County Monaghan, Ireland Came to the US in/abt 1848 to PA died 10 MAR 1919 in El PAso,TX. His wife Margaret LYONS b. 3 JULY 1841 in Skibbereen Run, County Cork came to the US in I believe 1851-53 with her mom & siblings thru Louisiana and made their way to ILL to be with her father Timothy LYONS. Edc & Margaret married in OCT 1861 supposedly in Danville,IL but, cannot for the life of me confirm this! I do havew a photo of them taken on their 50th anniversary!!

I have 2 cousins that were born in MAR 1921 in Chicago, Cook, IL (twins) Herbert Charles SHIVELY and Howard Burton SHIVELY. Both enlisted in the US Navy in Long Beach,CA in early 1941. Found both listed on a couple Muster Rolls at NAS Pensacola,FL in JULY 1941 and both went onto become Naval Aviators. I've been all over Ancestry, Fold3, and can't find much on either one of them! Herbert went onto fly PBY-5A Cats with VP-53 in the So. Pacific in DEC 1943 thru at least JUNE 1944. Having earned the Navy & Marine Corps medal on 27 JAN 1944. Another mention of his Naval Career is with VR-21 in 1953 flying the R4D (I believe) Howard went onto become the Air Officer aboard the USS Leyte (CV-32) in 1958-59. It is said he is a 3 war Vet, having served during WWII, Korea & Vietnam. I have their Service Numbers & am thinking of sending off for their Personnel Records from St. Louis,MO.

I just found some info on Herbert Charles SHIVELY's son Herbert II, He was a 1st Lt. with the USAF in SEPT 1970! and a Pilot!

Three members of my family fought in North Africa, two on the German side, one (my father) on the American. Both German relatives were captured and spent the war in the US. One stayed here the other went back. How the one survived is a mystery, he's from the Jewish side of the family.
Two of my fathers cousins were Marines in the Pacific. Both were wounded. One on Tinian one on Saipan.
My brother is a Khe Sahn Marine. I was a Marine at the bitter end in Viet Nam.
Guess what my primary interests are?
DAK and USMC WWII subjects.

Go figure

G

Over the past few years of spending alot of time at my folks' place here in Copperopolis,CA while I was living in Stockton,CA (45 miles west of here) My mother had noticed I was watching a program on the Bermuda Triangle one night & told me that one of her relatives was lost in there but, couldn't remember who or when. I've been looking for casualty lists related to the Triangle but, keep coming up empty.
Did find a cousin of hers was lost in 1950 in an RB-50 that was listed as lost in a hurricane but, more likely shot down by the Russians during the Haystrike Missions.
Some of her other cousins were in the military, One was a Sea Bee during WWII and possibly Korea. a few went into the USAAF. 1 was with the 3rd AF in the So.East US.
Thru my having a guest account on Ancestry.com I was contacted a couple yrs ago by a gal about my great grandfather James T. CONNOLLY and she told me her husband is his grandson thru his 1st marriage! :eek:hmy: :unsure: B) Interesting as I didn't know he was previously married! but, he was which I confirmed thru my own research. Her name is Tammy & we've been bouncing emails back & forth ever since then and, I tell ya, it's been great having her to bounce ideas off of!! We've made alot of headway on our research & filled in gaps & missing info for each other. One of our biggest mysteries was my 2nd great grandfather, Edward Joseph CONNOLLY who died 1 APR 1904. Nobody knew exactly where or how. This was ongoing for me since about 1997! Several trees on Ancestry said he died in Colorado, others said KS, another said NM. Well, I finally found proof in the form of a death notice saying he was accidently killed while railroading in La Junta,CO He worked the AT&SF RR running from La Junta To Raton,NM! He was a brakeman. I'm waiting on Tammy to get his death certificate.

Let's see... My great aunt Ruth traced the Millisor (Muhleizer) line back to the early 1500's in Germany and my mom's Foley side... well let us just say there are a whole lot of Foleys....

As for the service... My name sake (1750-1862) served in the army during the Revolution. There is no mention of military service until my great uncle Abram drove an ambulance in France. All of my relatives except my dad and uncle Howard were in the air corps during WW2 (I guess that is why I build WW2 aircraft!). My dad was a disabled vet in 1939 and Howard was an essential civilian employee.

None of us served in Vietnam. My sister (8 yrs) and I (32 yrs) both joined the Air Force as has my niece, who was just selected for Major!!!!!!!!! :snoopy

As for the Foley side... They came here in 1852 and served the Union in the Ohio Regiments. then in the Spanish-American War, WW1, Banana wars, WW2, & Korea...

These are all very interesting stories. I wish my family was as exciting. All I know is that on my mother's side of the family, we are O'briens from the time that clan united Ireland. I had a great UNcle Tom on my mother's side who was a member of the OSS in WWII and most of his missions are still classified. He died in 1944 from a V-1 Buzz Bomb attack when one fell into his apartment building the day after he'd returned from a mission. Other than that, my father served in the USAF as a navigator on AC-130 gunships based in Thailand. He has 115 combat missions over Laos, and later served as an observer at AGOS (Air Ground Operations School) in Hurlburt Field before he retired after 20 years in service. He was a Lt. Bird at that time.

That is all that I know of my family's history. I have modeled some AC-130 aircraft in honor of my father, but that's all I've done in relation to that. Everything else I built because I liked it or thought it was cool.

These are all very interesting stories. I wish my family was as exciting. All I know is that on my mother's side of the family, we are O'briens from the time that clan united Ireland. I had a great UNcle Tom on my mother's side who was a member of the OSS in WWII and most of his missions are still classified. He died in 1944 from a V-1 Buzz Bomb attack when one fell into his apartment building the day after he'd returned from a mission. Other than that, my father served in the USAF as a navigator on AC-130 gunships based in Thailand. He has 115 combat missions over Laos, and later served as an observer at AGOS (Air Ground Operations School) in Hurlburt Field before he retired after 20 years in service. He was a Lt. Bird at that time.

That is all that I know of my family's history. I have modeled some AC-130 aircraft in honor of my father, but that's all I've done in relation to that. Everything else I built because I liked it or thought it was cool.

Sounds real kewl there Mark! (y) Wonder IF/When them OSS Missions'll ever be declassified... :hmmm

It surely did in my early years up to around when i was 25 i build mostly Waffen SS and easterfont related,

Why ?
When i was about 12 (i still remember this) i bought the Tamiya 251 halftrack and showed it to my Father....... he said yes my uncle was a Panzergrenadier and i tough how cool, after asking many times what and where was Uncle a panzer grenadier ?

He told me that his uncles ''grandmothers brothers''
Joined the Waffen-ss here in the Netherlands in 1941 and fought on the eastern front the oldest (26 years of age) became a officer and the other (22 years of age) one a Nco.

The oldest was killed on 12-06-1944 at Narwa ''Estland'' as a member of The 11. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division Nordland ,

The younger one lived up to the age of 86 and was a member of 23. SS Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division Nederland .

When i was about 20 years old me and my Father did alot of research into the dark Familie historie and i can tell you was very interesting.....

We found out where the oldest died even the the trench where he had his last breath and cryed for his mother? (on a map)
It was raided by the Russian one night back in 1944 ,we also found out where he was buried the grave number /place and wich row .

The youngest was captured during the Narwa battle but he escaped ( wounded ) and got back to the german lines,he was send home to recover of his wounds after he was healed up again he was send back east in early 1945 did some fighting against the russians got wounded again and during his retreat got captured by the Americans ....did one year jail time here in the Netherlands,

German stuff is still one of my favorite subjects but not as back then ....now i build what i like as long it is Military and interesting

And i like to scratch build or alter a kit i cant build straight out of the box any more ,
Straight out of the box models are built by my good friend (he builds them i spray em )

So to cut a long story short .....i used to but not anymore .

Maarten.

Short answer is yes.

That's quite a pedigree Eddie. Great to be able to find that info and make connections. The guys at Pearl, did they all know of relationships or were they up and down the family tree? My family has traced roots back to 1600s in some cases but it's mind boggling to think of how 3 dimensional these family trees get.

My Dad was in the 31st Infantry Regiment in Korea in 1952. I've done two tribute builds to him, one while he was still with us, another after he passed. He started off as a machine gunner but after he spent the night fixing an officers personal radio, he got transferred to BHQ as driver for BCO. Short time later his previous unit got wiped out. The 31st is the same unit that suffered the Batan Death March and was the subject of the rescue raid that inspired the movie "The Great Raid".

I found out my Uncle was in CBI, a Captain when he came back but I don't have any details and I've reached out to his children for info but they don't know either, he never talked about it. All I know he was there in '42-43 and was back stateside training troops for the rest of the war. I didn't find this out till like a couple of months ago, he's been gone now 10 years, seems he never talked about his service. But it does explain why he loved spending all his time in the garden, all summer long, guess he was use to the heat.

Both my Grand Fathers were called up for WWI but one only got to training state side and the other did make it to France but, luckily, didn't make it to action.

Other than that, that's about it for our family unless you want to count GGGGRandfather Charles Britt who was SC Militia during the Revolutionary War, actually have his pension record. He held the line down in Florida, must have done a dang good job because no one attacked from Florida. He was also called up again during the final battles in the South at Eutaw Springs SC.

His son was too old to serve in the War Between The States but he was listed on the roster of the 6th SC Senior Reserves (can you imagine an outfit like that!)

Oh yeah, one more. General James Kennedy M.D. who won Navy Cross for his work against Malaria in the Panama during the construction, he was commander of Bethesda ~I think~ I have to check on that further.
Ha! Found a link about him being the surgeon on a cross country bicycle tour.
http://bicyclecorpsriders.blogspot.com/2009/01/dr-james-kennedy.html

Dad's Jeep
h5ad58fb.jpg

My attempt
haf4938d.JPG

Picture my Dad took of a tank
3-16-2006-12.jpg

My attempt at it.
h02f53d3_2015-02-15.jpg

Oh yeah, I gotta tell ya about my Wife's Dad.

I really like the Sherman Picture and you did a great job on replicating the scene.

the water under the jeep :ro:

Intereting histories here.
My Dad was a Me 410 Zerstorer pilot in WWII and his dad was a ballonist in WWI. 2 of his brothers were SS Panzer but I dont know which units. His one brother was killed in a hospital in Greece when the Greek doctor put down all the German injured one day.
My Mom was in London for the bombing and her dad drove busses. He was in WWI in the treenches.
Moms first fiance was killed in El alamein.
I'm third generation aiforce and my sons are fourth.
James

Thanks Piet, I really got to do that Jeep again, better. That was like the first build I did when I returned to the hobby. I'm redoing the Sherman ground work also, already got the base just need to do the earth work.

OK James, I've always wondered. How did your Luftwaffe Dad end up in Canada with a British Bride? :popcorn

Back