• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/18 scale Wallis WA-116 Agile scratchbuild model

CHAPTER VIII - Epilogue & aknowledgments

Although I was planing to paint a fictional / anniversary scheme, possibly by adding the also fictional call sighn G-BYE (aka “GoodBYE”) on tail rudder as a farewell to RAF Wing Commander Kenneth Horatio Wallis, inventor of this little autogyro and pioneer aviator, who passed away only few weeks before writing these lines, I finally decide to present the G-ARZA. It’s the ex XR942, initially built as s/n B.201 "Srs.1" WA-116 by Beagle Aircraft at Shoreham, on behalf of British Army Air Corps and first flew on 10 May 1962. According to Ken Wallis himself, this is now preserved in Portugal - unknown location.

IMAGE_0072_zpsbphtcrfr.jpg

I ‘d like to share with you, a rare photograph. It takes us back to autumn of 1967, in Germany. The man at right, is the inventor of this little autogyro, RAF Wing Commander Ken Wallis who flew 28 bomber missions over Germany during WWII and later earned 34 World records. The other man (left) who is sitting inside the cockpit and trying the flight controls, is Luftwaffe General Adolf Galland, a true aviation legend, a WWII flying ace who survived throughout 705 combat missions and credited with 104 aerial victories against the Western Allies. Who could imagine that these two friends, were flying a few years before as deadly enemies, trying to kill each other.

IMAGE_0073_zpsieqm6kum.jpg

I would like to express my special thanks to:

• The administration of the Norfolk & Suffolk aviation museum where Ken Wallis has been its President since 1976, for providing me the printed matterial, technical manual & blueprint diagrams for Wallis WA-116 autogyro.
  • Mr. George Papadimitriou, owner of Hobby Gallery hobby shop and exclusive distributor for LifeColor & AK Interactive products in Greece, for his kind support and providing all the goodies I asked for - from A to Z.
  • All fellow scale modelers, who have expressed their ideas through this forum and suggested solutions to technical issues encountered during this WIP.
  • My sweetheart “4-star General in home” wife, who actively participated in the project as an indispensable assistant, offering me relaxing neck massage while working on my bench.

For those who are interested to check more onfo and pics, feel free and have a look on our ANYUTA 3D printed products catalog. This Wallis WA-116 Agile autogyro is available for sale as a model kit under 1/18 scale (click HERE) and 1/16 scale (click HERE) too.

Finally, thank you all for following this thread and I hope you enjoyed reading this article. I’ll meet you soon, on my next WIP.

Regards,
Nick

IMAGE_0074_zpskbmuqhlf.jpg

IMAGE_0075_zpsm4qta7di.jpg

IMAGE_0076_zpsakvppz2t.jpg

IMAGE_0077_zpsejuwy0mg.jpg

IMAGE_0078_zps3ie4buib.jpg

IMAGE_0079_zpsb6dhbuod.jpg

IMAGE_0080_zpsx9ggr9ju.jpg

IMAGE_0081_zpsrwdrwxv1.jpg

IMAGE_0082_zpsnqjxo1nj.jpg

IMAGE_0083_zps1vrknurx.jpg

IMAGE_0084_zpsod5cbb0c.jpg

IMAGE_0085_zpsdk98tsxo.jpg

IMAGE_0086_zps35ajexid.jpg

IMAGE_0087_zpshj1friqe.jpg

IMAGE_0088_zpsvzh78tnn.jpg

IMAGE_0089_zpsf7w8rhl3.jpg

IMAGE_0090_zpsvihvtiyl.jpg

For those who are interested to buy this unique Wallis WA-116 autogyro model kit,

• Click HERE for 1/18 scale model kit or
  • Click HERE for 1/16 scale model kit.

Also, have a look on our ANYUTA 3D printed products catalog and get informed about newly released items. Wife as website operator & sales cordinator is always ready to answer customer questions regarding 3D printed scale model kit & diorama accessories products.

IMAGE_0091_zpsvvagystz.jpg

IMAGE_0092_zps8gpnaknb.jpg

I think that is an AWESOME build!!! The model is outstanding and there are some great modeling tips to be learned from Nick. :drinks :notworthy (y)

Only thing missing are the suit cases "Q Branch" used to build it.

Very nice finish Nick, well done sir.

Back