• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

D-Day P-47

I can not describe how disgusted I am right now.

I primed the Jug with AlcladII Primer, sanded it to get the rough spots out. I started to mask it because I want to spray some gloss black in some spots that will be high shine. (you know where this is going)

I used Tamiya Masking tape, even detacked it a bit, and placed it where I wanted. Had to reposition it slightly and guess what....pulled the primer off the model.

I tested in some more spots and pretty much all the primer comes off when pulling the tape.

I'm going back to the Sherman. :bang head

Jeez so it happened again! :blink

Don't know if this would be better,but maybe try out Humbrol Maskol.Cover the would be masked location with soft paper and use Maskol at the edge.
No guarantees,just thinking out loud. :idonno

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Ron, I'm 99.9% sure it's not my masking agent.

I just did a quick and dirty test. Took one of the extra fuel tanks that I don't intend on using. Sprayed one half with AlcladII Grey Primer and the other half with Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned with Lacquer thinner. Sanded both with micromesh sanding pad, probably about a 1200 grit. Then immediately did the mask test.

Results? I'll have pictures later but the AlcladII pulled about 60-70%. Mr. Surfacer, nothing.

If you wonder about cure time, the AlcladII was applied earlier this week, 4-5 days ago. And in this case, the Mr. Surfacer had less time on the part than AlcladII.

It could be I have a bad batch, I had a bad batch of their Gloss Black back when doing the Mustang. If so, maybe others will have better luck but I will not find out, I'll never buy it again.

It could be I have a bad batch, I had a bad batch of their Gloss Black back when doing the Mustang. If so, maybe others will have better luck but I will not find out, I'll never buy it again.

Sorry to read that but thank you for posting it as I had almost pulled the trigger on some AlClad products for one of my Sandbagger's (that would be me) projects.

Regards,

Saul I think the paints are good for metalizing. It's the primer that's the kick in the head. Then again, could be batch related.

Here's what's the kicker. I went a little further on my testing. I oversprayed Mr. Surfacer on top of the AlcladII primer. I did not pull up. I guess Mr. Surfacer penetrates not only into the plastic but the AlcladII primer. That may be my salvation here.

That would be my guess. I'll be squirtin' primer again today. Really want to lay some Alclad down.

Moon, do you have any Tamiya Gloss Black spray?

I believe I have heard it works well as an Alclad primer...I think...

Tom

You're right Tom. I've read the same. Problem is, what I though would be my salvation didn't work. I need to strip the AlcladII primer. Any suggestions on what to use to get it off my plastic?

Tamiya tape...? :D

How about 90% Isopropal...if it's really stubborn, try brake fluid, just don't leave it overnight.

Tom

I have decided! It will be a matt BMF with polished sections on the wings. Now...how to mask without lifting the BMF? Parafilm ?

I'm late on this bus- nice work, Moon! I remember the old Testors Metalizer paint suggested using damp/wet strips of paper to mask different panels. It worked! Maybe give that a try on a test piece?

Thanks Chuck. Dang that may have worked but I'm too disgusted to continue. I have boxed this up and put it on the back shelf with other failed projects. For now that is.

Here's the picture I promised.

h0808864.jpg

Mr. Surfacer on the left, AlcladII on the right. I'm sticking with Mr. Surfacer for now own.

I'll be starting another D-Day project, and it's another thorn in my side... :pilot :facepalm

It's nightmare stories like this that keep me away from NMF. Check out the NMF 1/32 B-25 on Large Scale Planes all done with aluminum foil. Don't think any kind of paint could duplicate that !

See I'm the other way with that Gary. When I look at a foiled build, I see the metal grain and it sticks out to me. You can't scale that down. Yes it looks like metal, but it looks like a scale metal model.

This is purely self inflicted. I should have known better than try the AlcladII again. I look back at the Mig15 I did a couple of years ago. Mr. Surfacer and AlcladII. Came out great and the finish is rock solid.

He had to do a great deal of polishing I think. Think I'll just drop back and punt and paint this thing OD. Still have the problem with the primer lifting..:bang head

As Tom suggested, Tamiya T/S sprays, tough as nails, never lifts, if you didn't want to use it from the can decant it and use through your AB.

I use A/S 12 silver for all my aircraft builds for my basecoat, using acrylics or enamels never had any paint lift, I'm sure the black sprays would work well with Alclad.

Back