• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beware the Mephistopheles FINISHED

_DSC5971.JPG

I have been so tied up with the engine i allmost forgot about the car ;-)

DANG Paddy!!! You build so darn quick and precise!! It would take me a half a year or better to make it this far with all the upgrades you've added here!!!! WOW!!!!!!!

now i am in trouble. this thing was chain drive on both sides and the kit chain is about 500 pieces about 2mm long assembled with a hot soldering iron. that would not be so bad if i had assembled the first half in the right order. Finally the totally useless instructions have beaten me .

i am a bit stuck now ? Tamiya do a PE type chain in1/12 for their motorcycles but its nearly £40.00 and i would need 3. Cheaper to buy a whole new car kit... thinking cap on.

hmm, glad i checked, i have 1/12 and 1/6 bikes on the shelf and although the car is 1/12 the chain is the same size as a 1/6 bike chain.
These are a little cheaper than 1/12 and longer so i would need 2 not 3, still £60.00 though better than the £120 for 1/12.

I will sleep on it and see if i can salvage what i have first.......

Paddy, in a pinch I would be willing to bet I could disassemble the chain if it is just soldered together. Might try fine tweezers and an alcohol lamp to heat and pull the parts apart. The alcohol burns hot and clean and shouldn't overheat the parts. Any kind of torch would end up being too hot and could burn or melt the parts. A candle flame would coat the parts with soot.

Hi Paul
If only it was that straight forward :) despite this being a 2015 release the chain is plastic and is held together my melting each pin in the chain, 2 per link with a soldering iron, It gives a totally useless finish for a high detail kit like this anyway as the chain just looks like melted bits of plastic. :)
_DSC5986.JPG

_DSC5987.JPG

I know this looks like i made a pigs ear of it and i did and given another chance i could do a lot better but remember these pins are 0.5mm and melt before soldering iron even get near to touching them and my soldering iron has adjustable temp control.
I did this under 10x magnification and still made a mess of it :)

I really think that a re-box of an ancient kit like this could do with a little PE if you are going to charge in excess of £160.00 ($190USD)
If airfix can turn out their new 1/24 spit for £90.00 then this is a £60.00 kit.
anyway i have ordered Tamiya's 1/6 motorcycle chain at great expense in an effort to save the build but the chances of the pitch etc being correct for the sprockets is slim TBH

_DSC5988.JPG

I have added some oil stains to the engine . its a compromise between an oily mess and retaining some detail. In reality i think it would have been a huge black oily mess, 90% blackened and wet and leaking from every gasket with its total loss oil feed s however models are all about compromise i think. ( thats my excuse :) )

Paddy you need to get an iron that has variable temperature control.

I have not done this yet but I've wondered if I could lower the temp on this station to simulate weld beads.
:mpup

BTW, that motor looks freakin real!

Got one Bob but that was the lowest it will go but still way too hot. that digital one might go down to zero ?

Got one Bob but that was the lowest it will go but still way too hot. that digital one might go down to zero ?
Not sure how cool it'll get. I'll fire it up this afternoon and see.
According to the website this is the temp range. 50 to 480℃

I never use a soldering iron for this, I have a nail head that is polished that I use. With practice you can learn to heat it just enough to melt the plastic a little and then cool. Then the plastic part pops loose and you have a lot nicer finish on the melted part.

The problem is that in addition to the temperature of the iron, it also never cools off so it mangles the plastic. Maybe take a piece of brass strip, set it on the parts to "melt", heat it with the iron until you feel it give, then remove the iron and cool it. Then pop the part loose.

@paddy, would it be possible to place the chain belt, as is, in place and glue solid? Cut off the mangled pins and replace them with punched plastic cards? If need be, paint the chain belt and the punched plastic prior to assembly?

Back