• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beware the Mephistopheles FINISHED

Looking really good Paddy!

Mix brass and copper? You simply get crass. :bigrin:

mouse.gif

Ha ha yes or Bopper , I'm not very good at seeing the base colours for mixing, i will set up a pallet and start mixing but it may just be a drop of brown in brass but i dont want to lose the alclad metal effect, maybe just brass with a dusting of brown pigment when its dry .

This is my solution to the valve springs with no valve stems.

DSC_4811.JPG

i drill a 1mm blind hole in each rocker and the same in the top of the cylinder head. Super glued a 1mm alloy rod into the rocker.
The hole in the cylinder head goes into to a hollow ares so the rod length is not important.
the only difficult bit is assembly because you have to then put 4 springs on the valve stems and get the 4 stems to line up with the holes in the head and each rocker arm is very fragile

DSC_4817.JPG

DSC_4818.JPG

there are problems that i would address if i built this again. A/ the springs are a bit feeble however they are very small ( about 4mm long) and difficult to remake compared with the actual affect a slightly thicker wire might bring. B/ all the valves are closed and in practice they would be in all stages from full open to full closed. Again difficult to correct as the rocker arms are so feeble and moulded in to the top shaft housing.

It isn't difficult for car builders and ship builders to feel as if the appeal of our models have, shall we say, a rather narrow appeal? Not Me-109s, Shermans or Spitfires are they?
I lack the space and the skill to make the automotive models you do. I do enjoy watching your progress very much.
The Bentley Blower was absolutely enthralling to my eyes! :good:
This Fiat is too! :vgood:

I'm with you rhino, i think the only thing i have never built now is a ship :) I found my limitations with figures but a lot of that was real problems with paint. getting enough blue on a micro brush for the iris of a 1/35 eye and not have it dry instantly defeated me :) . I love aircraft but my quest to detail up means i would really need to build larger scales and i dont have the space. that said i quite enjoyed the 1/48 Aires upgrades but you can only do so many of those. I seem to have landed on the cars/bikes in the larger scale because you can detail them and thats the thing i enjoy.
I will probably retire next year and one of the driving forces for me is to set up a proper modelling table and sort the hundreds of pots of paint Albion metal parts, evergreen parts, put up a couple of display shelves so i dont have throw so much away...
that said my yellow and black Porsche i built raised £180.00 in a raffle for brain damaged children last week so thats a possible answer to what to do with what you build :)

A few pictures of where i am at.

DSC_4834.JPG

HT lead tubes and plug fittings made

DSC_4833.JPG

4 carbs Hooray for alclad brass and Copper.

DSC_4835.JPG

distributer unit with 4 caps, 6 leads per cap and a couple of inlet manifolds.

_DSC5956.JPG

home made spark plugs under construction.. although this is only a straight 6n cylinder, it has 24 spark plugs and 24 valves

Its getting really busy now. currently making fuel pipes with 1mm copper pipe.
the kit gives you quite soft 1mm copper wire but its almost impossible to get it straight as it comes tied up like a shoe lace :)

_DSC5967.JPG

It will be a shame to add the heavy weathering/oil etc.

Back