• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fiat 806 GP FINISHED

I do like a problem :) I do my best thinking when asleep ..lol and last night went to bed mulling over how to attach plug leads to rubber parts

This morning i had an idea.
The cloth plug lead i had for some other project a while ago is hollow so i managed to get a .4mm piece of piano wire in to it and the smallest touch of super glue. The piano wire will push into a hole in the rubber, i have some .3mm drills that do the job

_DSC7396.JPG

12 plug leads, 6 different lengths

_DSC7398.JPG

0.4mm piano wire inserted in the end with a minute dab of super glue

_DSC7399.JPG

This is the front of one of the magneto's and its rubber like the plug leads

_DSC7400.JPG

And these are the plug caps. I have decided to use the caps. They are not quite correct fore the year but look better than anything i can scratch i think

_DSC7402.JPG

And here is the result, not easy drilling a 0.3mm hole up a bit of narrow bendy rubber but it can be done . those of you who downloaded the tables i posted the other day will know that 0.3 mm is 0.011" or 11 thousands of an inch :love:

Last edited:
Absolutely Brilliant! I hope everyone else is paying attention! This, from the old Protar tooling! :notworthyvgood:

When the engine is finished i will dirty it up a bit, just experimenting with cold tea a stain for the plug leads :)

Shiny bits are MRP steel which is more like aluminium and Alclad brass on a black base coat

Strange but interesting set up with the rear diff and the prop shaft inside the cockpit.....
I suppose it makes for good aerodynamics as the underside is smooth

Not sure i would want that drive shaft spinning next to me at 100mph :)

_DSC7442.JPG

The dilemma is none of this will ever be seen again if i put the body on .... but if i leave it off it doesnt really display as well as it looks unfinished.
My thinking is no one will ever see this model in the flesh so it doesnt really matter if its covered up, just makes it easier to dust :)

_DSC7445.JPG

Engine balanced in place

Last edited:
You have to fit the rad/grill before the front suspension.
The grill comes chromed but by the time you have cut it off the sprues its not usable ( why do they never attach on the inside so it doesnt matter ?

I stripped then chrome then tried to use alclad but it needs a much better finish than i could get

_DSC7473.JPG

You can see there are tiny screws on the front face which make it very difficult to get a smooth surface so i decided to shave them off, then i could get a sanding stick on the job.
I then sprayed it shiny silver rather than alclad. They didnt use chrome then anyway so it would have been nickel plate

_DSC7475.JPG

And i added some real 0.5mm screw to replace the plastic ones i shaved off

I used the template supplied for the Number 15

_DSC7470.JPG

_DSC7471.JPG

But you cant really see it through the grill

_DSC7477.JPG

Last edited:
It would truly be a shame to cover all your intricate details. Could you open the bonnet? Like you hadn't thought about that before.
Gimme a "Duh".

_DSC7485.JPG

I strongly recommend anyone try to build this model to forget the screws and just assemble with plastistuct dowels and normal glue.
The screws are simply because the original parts would have been metal in the Protar kit. The method Italeri use of forcing a screw thread down a smooth hole in the hope it will cut a thread causes the hole to expand and split the surrounding plastic. If it doesnt split then once you put a nut on the screw even lightly tightening the nut puts strain on the plastic and what looks ok at the time will probably crack in a few days. If you get any spirits near this plastic also like a pin wash from MIG or similar the plastic goes hard and shatters in to very small parts.
This trying my patience and have had to walk away from this several time and have a cup of tea......(its what we do over here) :)

Yeah, machine screws into plastic is a disaster waiting to happen. I would have bought some small taps and tapped the holes. This cuts the excess plastic and makes threads in the plastic rather than trying to deform the plastic. To keep a nut in place just barely snug it up and add a touch of superglue. Just a small touch using a flattened pin or wire. This is to keep the nut from moving, but if needed with only a touch it can be undone fairly easily.

Back