• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beware the Mephistopheles FINISHED

paddy

Untitled-1.jpg

Mephistopheles was a Demon from German folk law, a worker for Lucifer. Renowned for his howl.

Unable to find a model of him I have settled for this, The chassis of a 1908 Fiat SB4 racing car with a 6-cylinder, 21.7 litre (21,706 cc) Fiat A.12 aeroplane engine producing 320 PS (235 kW; 316 bhp) It set a land speed record on public roads in 1926 of 146mph.

It gained notoriety when owned by the Englishman Ernest Eldridge and set standing start ½ mile of 23 seconds at Brooklands but went on to lap at over 100mph
In October 1924, at Montlhéry airdrome, Mr. Eldridge covered 210 kilometres 230 metres in the hour, and at one time attained 218 kilometres (over 136 miles) an hour.

So basically, a very brave man in car made from a lorry chassis with an airplane engine strapped on 😊

The Italeri kit is one of a series of new mould 1/12 kits of italian “between the wars” racing cars and if their Alfa 2300 is anything to go by, should be a gem.
My first job was some research and the further I dug, the more involved it got. The original Mephistopheles was restored in the early 2000’s and seems to be based on the Protar kit of the early 70’s and Italeri seem to have copied the Protar and restored example, but it seems to be quite different from the original car which is rather disappointing. The rear body is changed and the original car at the time of the records it set ……was probably Black….not Red

20170319_184224_resize_20170319_184510.jpeg

Most people model this quite understandably in Red and as a pretty clean car. Truth, is it operated a total loss oil system with exposed rockers and valve springs. Eldridge described the fine mist of coolant that constantly spewed from the cooling system back over driver and car , mixed in with a haze of oil.. The car quite often caught fire, noise was deafening from the exhaust stubs…the model and restored example has a silencer and exhaust pipe. The whole thing was driven by clattering chain drive by the driver’s elbow.

eldridge-fiat-mephistopheles-arpajon.jpg

Is this Red or Black ?

The dilemma is then, to build the model of the restored example or to try and produce a copy of the crude oily mess that was the original.

I don’t have any dimensions to alter the body work and pictures are rare, but oil and dirt is within my possibilities 😊 Maybe I can also find a picture of the exhaust stubs?

I have now found a quote from someone at the time of the world speed record that referred to the” big red car” in 1924, and yet its said that at the time of the record it was black. The large letters on the cowl FIAT were a sponsor name added for just on race meeting and yet the car is modelled in Red and Black with these letters on. A guy that drove it before its restoration said

“The point was that poor 'Mephisto' - despite being a runner - was at that time in very poor condition. Steam, scalding water, hot oil, fumes and smoke issued from almost every conceivable pore. The radiator leaked. The water jackets leaked. Oil unions leaked. She would run clean then gasp, cough and backfire - she would ripple into a misfiring fit, clear her throat, spit stabs of flame back from the carburettors...”

eldridge-fiat-300-hp-brooklands-1924.jpg

Probably Red ?

So it looks to me like recollections have been muddled between decades, It certainly was originally Black before it was Red. Its odd but seems true that the original car now restored between 2005 and 2011 The Italeri kit is based on the 2011 restoration/Protar model.

My probable aim will be to build it at the point it was retired as a modern race car in the late 20’s after Eldridge had sold it. Incidentally it only held the land speed record for a week before Malcolm Campbell beat it by 0.5mph in Bluebird.

DSC_4651_01.JPG

Last edited:
This choice of next kit surprises me not. A huge Straight-six? She would make a sound not so unlike a huge tractor, like an Albatros or Fokker D7 does/did. Find my curiosity piqued to watch what you craft for this one!

FIAT= Fix It Again Tony. :rimshot:lol:
:popcorn

Here is a look inside the box

DSC_4664.JPGDSC_4665.JPGDSC_4667.JPGDSC_4669.JPGDSC_4670.JPGDSC_4671.JPGDSC_4672.JPGDSC_4673.JPGDSC_4674.JPGDSC_4675.JPG DSC_4668.JPGDSC_4676.JPG

Parts are coloured Wood, Brass, Alloy, Chrome, Black and Red.
The last picture is the Chain drive links which look fun :)

and for Rhino

Airco_D.H.9.jpg

Here is the engine in its intended use :). An Airco DH-9, looks like they had the sense to enclose the valve gear :)
220 cu inch per cylinder

Last edited:
Something to consider when using original '20's period black and white photos is that many of the early processes would show red as a dark black color. Just looking at the above aircraft tail colors, I believe the coloring is from front to back blue white red. Note that the blue is a very light grey while the red is black.
I am looking forward to seeing this build up Paddy!

Thanks Paul
There is preciouses little accurate info on the car on the web and what there is on many different sources can be traced back to the same source. Big scale models. com who researched it as best they could when this model was released in 2014.

i think the bottom line is this was a home build car that consistently altered itself during its life in particular from 18 litre to 21 litre and from Black to red. the body was changed and its said the restored current version is significantly different from the original.

Basically the modeller has a free reign :)
I am going to go for "well used" in Red .

Last edited:
Very strange sprues not seen any like this before

this is the Chassis rail Sprue

DSC_4679.JPG

the centre section needs to be removed but look at the attachment points

DSC_4680.JPG

this one is nearly 1.5 inch :)

DSC_4686.JPG

This shows a chassis crossmember half removed and half still attached .

DSC_4684.JPG

and these are the chassis rails removed the parts behind are the Sprues for the bin.

none of this is a problem as its just the Chassis

Those of you who have followed my builds in the past will know i post my successes and my failures so others might gain from them :)

DSC_4689.JPG

this is what happens to Italeri plastic if you put enamel panel wash by mig on it. Basically it just goes hard and shatters.
these were not over tightened, they were gripping very lightly and were fine for an hour after the wash was applied but after 3 hours they has self destructed.
Its a pain but fortunately the parts are not no hard to reproduce, i will have to order some plasticard.

footnote
i have had absolutely no luck with anything MIG from paints, especially spraying, to washes. They seem very dependant on what material you are spraying. I now need to re think this build as i had planned to use the techniques i had learned from armour building to weather this car.

Plastic is a petroleum product, so is white spirt which is the base for the wash i would think

Here is a look inside the box

View attachment 154916View attachment 154917View attachment 154918View attachment 154920View attachment 154921View attachment 154922View attachment 154923View attachment 154924View attachment 154925View attachment 154926 View attachment 154919View attachment 154927

Parts are coloured Wood, Brass, Alloy, Chrome, Black and Red.
The last picture is the Chain drive links which look fun :)

and for Rhino

View attachment 154928

Here is the engine in its intended use :). An Airco DH-9, looks like they had the sense to enclose the valve gear :)
220 cu inch per cylinder
If I understand this correctly, the Mephistophophleles engine is not Italian made, then? Guido Rossi's dad wrecked an old RE-8 in the back 40, then found an old lorry lying about? :yipee:

I have had really good luck with Italeri's replacement parts service. Protar had been around for a while before Italeri acquired them.

Back