• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fiat 806 GP FINISHED

Hi Dave, thanks mate

_DSC7501.JPG

_DSC7503.JPG

Getting there. I need to take some better lit sharp pics before i put the body on, just need to finish the plumbing first

The body has some serious flash and sprue joins

_DSC7504_01.JPG

_DSC7507.JPG

I cleaned these up and gave them a coat of Italian Red, its a bit bright but after i gave it a Matt coat it darkened it a bit

?You get a choice of masks or Decals for the numbers, i went for the masks because i didnt like the idea of getting the decals to sit on the bonnet(hood) louvers

_DSC7508.JPG
_DSC7510.JPG
_DSC7511.JPG

I need to now weather the finish suitably , not sure how or what direction to go but having gone with a sandy finish on the tyres i may carry that on.

Overall it looks great Paddy! I am surprised that it raced to the finish line so fast. Most of it was the chassis and engine and then wha-la, ta-da, done.
I really like the weathering you did, though something caught my attention. The running surfaces of the tires should be bare rubber. Dirt in the tread, but shouldn't be on the surface where it meets the road.

yea the difference between the stripped down model and the finished job is really only 4-6 screws TBH, i left the tyres dusty because as far as i can tell these raced on normal roads in Italy which are often dirt/dust tracks but i take your point,
Also paul i couldn't wrap this up fast enough, its just a model that should never have been released in this configuration, i penned this for another website but i wasnt going to labour the point here

-----------------------------------

ITALERI Fiat 820 GP car 1927 (1:12)

The problem with this kit is….

Its basically the Protar metal kit from the early 70‘s re cast in plastic. Consequently, it comes with a variety of screws and nuts for assembly but the plastic parts are not strong enough for this type of construction. The screws provided are used as self-tappers which they are not, they have to be wound in to thin/fragile inaccessible plastic which causes the plastic to expand rather than cut a thread. Just when you think you have got away with this..disaster. I found that most of the proprietary washes that are spirits based seem to harden the plastic and make it brittle. Already stressed from having screws wound in the plastic just shatters a few days later.

Note the rear hanger plate here shattered a day or two after assembly and the front plate has cracked round each screw head.

DSC_4689.JPG

The answer is (too late for me) to replace all the 1.4mm screws with plastic dowels and then assemble as you would a normal kit.

Similarly, the steering box and front suspension are all designed to work in cast alloy but in plastic the front suspension can barely support the front of the car and I fully expect it to sag or collapse completely in the weeks /months to come. The gears in the steering box will never turn because the shaft from the steering column just twists down its length rather than turns…you get the picture.

Italeri first produced this model in 2015 and must have been aware of the issues.

After all is said and done you can still build a presentable model from the parts supplied but it will require some adaptation and a lot of forward thinking.

Paddy

I know i am in danger of becoming the bad workman blaming his tools or even worse, the cereal moaner on this forum but little point in posting unless you give people the low down and tell it like it is. :)
On another thread comments were made recently about the importance about getting things right , even if no one sees these little details, the builder needs to be happy they are there. Well this is an example of why i get pee,d off with a model that too others looks fine.
I have taken a few macro pictures of how this build is falling to bits in front of me....I could just keep quiet :) but as we say here, " i like to call a spade a spade" :)
_DSC7530.JPG

Top shackle on the front spring starting to break up....

_DSC7531.JPG

Front King pin, the darker bit in the middle is all thats now attached to the wheel hub as its cracked above and below.

_DSC7532.JPG

Rear of the front spring mount starting to break up.

All this damage and a lot more occurred up to a week after assembly, I predict a short shelf life for the rest, especially it seems bits with paint of washes on. This a £150 model with probably less than £5.00 worth of moulding/plastic cost. Its not acceptable in 2023 IMHO. When you look at what people like GWH can turn out with near perfect new moulds in a high quality plastic for half the price.

Wow, and I got warped resin kit that's healing itself (more on this later) , this thing is falling apart?!

Yeah, I hear you Paddy. Thanks for the "this kit is garbage" photos. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be posted about kits. It is pretty obvious that it isn't builder error. Also it might be the formulation on the plastic.

I have a small ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning technical pens that the case disintegrated where the stainless steel tub was attached to the plastic housing. Between the stress from the screws, and the "ultrasonic" causing more stress the mountings fell apart. I glued them back together with quite heavy amounts of glue/solvent (whatever I actually used 30 years ago). Then I drilled the screw holes completely through to the top of the case and put machine screws with nuts and washers in place to hold it together. Have not had any trouble with it since.

First: I love that thing, it really looks great!
But it is a shame that it does fall apart - shame on you Italeri

Stunning finish. Shame on the quality (re-engineering, or rather lack thereof) of the kit. :bash:

Back