• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 B-17C/D Finished

fightnjoe

well it is time for me to again force my passion on others.

it is time for me to again catalog my build to remember the attack on hawaii, dec 7, 1941.

this year i will be working on this.....

boxart_zpsb6348580.jpg

the markings will be custom as i am looking at one of two birds from the 38th recon that were inbound during the attack.

hope you enjoy the build.

joe

1/72 b-17c/d

well it is time for me to again force my passion on others.

it is time for me to again catalog my build to remember the attack on hawaii, dec 7, 1941.

this year i will be working on this.....

boxart_zpsb6348580.jpg

the markings will be custom as i am looking at one of two birds from the 38th recon that were inbound during the attack.

hope you enjoy the build.

joe

Curious :idonno Is this going to be an actual build or are you going to take it down to the last rivet an re-engineer the kit on this build ?

Cheers, Christian B)

1/72 b-17c/d

@Chris :rotf

Probably both

I got the same kit but it's the Swooze bird. Will be watching Joe. :popcorn

1/72 b-17c/d

Oh , good :good: I can hang with that :D Don't much care for the others. They look more like skeletons than actual airplanes. :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

1/72 b-17c/d cockpit started

But Christian that is why I truly love them. They show the inner workings. If done right they are a work of art.

Now for an update.....

Well folks to prove that I am actually working on this.

The instructions call for the cockpit construction first. So that is where I start.

There is some decent detail in this kit.

bombadier-3_zpse4f7dba5.jpg

First thing to notice was the god awful machine marks. They are everywhere. So first out came the putty.

cockpit-5_zpsfb3cb44a.jpg

cockpit-6_zps8e162e4e.jpg

You will notice that I began the painting process by starting on the floor forward of the Instrument Panel bulkhead. I started with Testors little square bottle of Light Tan. When that was tacky I then went over it again only this time trying to leave brush strokes. After that dried I then used Burnt Umber Oil Paint to give it the grain look. Did not turn out quite as I hoped on the floor but wow it sure did on the table. I then brush painted Model Master Euro Green on the parts that required it. I am told this is pretty close to what was actually used in the Fortress. While that dried I started on the other pieces that would make up the cockpit. The seat cushions were first painted Model Master Dark Yellow, in part as my yellow selection is very scarce at this moment. I then painted some of the bits and bobs the same Euro Green as seen in some of my reference pictures. As one set dried I moved to the next. On the whole they came out like this...

cockpit-3_zps3e31be26.jpg

cockpit-4_zps8dd4f17f.jpg

bombadier-1_zps82ea4c93.jpg

control-stick-1_zps9eee07b9.jpg

bombadier-2_zps436ef194.jpg

cockpit-2_zps54dcc22e.jpg

cockpit-1_zpsa290f418.jpg

And that is where we are tonight. The seats and control stick are not finished. Note also the cockpit floor and the bulkheads received a oil wash to try to bring out a little of the detail.

Next session will be to finish the detail painting and start to put this all together. There will not be much time or effort put into the interior as in this scale not much will be seen. I will not even be installing anything past that rear cockpit bulkhead.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

I think those old sharkfin Forts were more sleek and streamline Dave, really like the lines.

Good start Joe. :popcorn

I think those old sharkfin Forts were more sleek and streamline Dave, really like the lines.

Good start Joe. :popcorn
I agree there is an beautifull streamlined feel to it BUT would you have wanted to fly into Germany in one in 1942-44

HA, I wouldn't have wanted to fly into Germany in anything at that time. :soldier

Well here we go again.

Here is a brief update to show where I am with this.

First up is the cockpit. It is together and ready for installation.

cockpit-7_zps9f9996bd.jpg

cockpit-8_zpsc93ccd45.jpg

cockpit-9_zpse10e70a4.jpg

cockpit-10_zps61431c9c.jpg

Next is to show off something I am pretty proud of. Because of the many pieces of clear that are in the fuselage I had planned to paint the body prior to installing the clear.

There were several steps here. First is the primer coat. For this I used Rust-Oleum Flat Black. After this dried overnight I then used Model Master Olive Drab (Not handy so I can not tell you which one) and sprayed very cautiously, avoiding the panel lines. This part of the process took approximately two hours. Like I said I was being very careful. After this dried I then added Rust-Oleum Flat White to lighten the paint. I then concentrated on the panel centers. I wanted to get a definite different shade.

fuse-5_zpsef9e62fc.jpg

fuse-1_zpsde2a50e9.jpg

fuse-2_zpse09a3e07.jpg

fuse-3_zpsfb7d8c7a.jpg

fuse-4_zps039d63ae.jpg

I am very happy with the way this turned out. However my plan has a serious flaw. I cannot spray a flat coat over the fuselage without masking off the clear parts. I will have to think on this. I may have to see about finding a liquid masking agent as some of these clear parts may pop off with traditional tape/foil masking.

But there she is so far. Hopefully there will not be major seams to deal with.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

1/72 B-17C/D Cockpit Continued

"Maryann" from the Movie "Air Force" perhaps?? I have this kit, well, a few of them, and I do love the slimmer, speedier 'Fort! Keep goin' joe!! :drinks

"Maryann" from the Movie "Air Force" perhaps?? I have this kit, well, a few of them, and I do love the slimmer, speedier 'Fort! Keep goin' joe!! :drinks

I've thought of that one several times, don't know if they have decals for her. But also she got a different look as the movie went on.

Good job on the OD Joe, saw one spot around the left waist gun where you got some buildup. maybe it was right after you sprayed but if it's still there sand it down a bit or take a damp cloth with some thinner and clean it up. If you can still see it.

Also Chris posted on his thread about some home made masking fluid. Take Elmers white glue and mix some food color with it. Check out his Flying Clog thread to see it.

Many thanks all.

Maryanne, got a couple of pictures of a -G variant with that name. Buddy of mine had an uncle that flew in her. Also have pictures of the same aircraft with the name Black Cat 13. Great now I am thinking of doing her up.

Thanks for the heads up on the build up. I will take a look when I get home. I had been keeping up, sort of, with that build. I had missed the homemade masking post. I am headed to the big city this weekend and will be stopping at Hobbytown. I am going to take a look there for another brand but I am thinking Chris is right. Need to find a few other items as well.

Last night I got the fuse together and did a bit of work on the seam. Not bad but there were a couple of spots that filler is needed.

Joe

Joe there was a movie in the 40's called "Air Force", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035616/
It is your typical war movie with some not so hidden propaganda and over the top bombing accuracy towards the end but, great scenes with early B/C model forts. Star of the movie is a fort named Mary Ann who gets top billing. The tail number they give is fictitious and they say she was lost in the pacific after filming. Truth is she didn't go to war, as we all know, those models were already obsolete when the war broke out.

Google images of some shots of Mary Ann[/img]
Ever get the chance check it out.

Had not seen that one. May have to try to watch it at some point.

Joe

Back