• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 B-17C/D Finished

1/72 B-17C/D Cockpit Continued

Harry Carey, in one of his few Movie roles!
Lookie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQBmii3Lfg
This, and 12 O'Clock high kept Revell in bus. in the early '70's. I built a dozen Flying Fortresses. I even made one the Mary-Ann. It were quite crude.

You can tell the C from the B-17D. Cowl flaps on the D Model. I'm gonna make me a Mary-Ann one day. After a beloved Girl-Child.

Some day I'm gonna have to figure out how you guys paint airplanes still on the sprue without mucking it up during assembly :idonno

Anyhow, looking forward to this build :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Some day I'm gonna have to figure out how you guys paint airplanes still on the sprue without mucking it up during assembly :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Someday I am going to figure out how to reply to posts in a reasonable amount of time.

Christian I have not figured out that part yet.

Joe

Cheers, Christian B)

Someday I am going to figure out how to reply to posts in a reasonable amount of time.

Christian I have not figured out that part yet.

Joe

Well, as slow as I type and as slow as I build , I doubt that I'll never notice :rotf :rotf :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

1/72 B-17C/D Wings and A Prayer

Well one step forward and then ten steps backward.

The step forward:
The wings are installed, the fuselage is together, some of the clear parts are installed.

The ten steps the other direction:
The seams are horrible, I will need to respray 90% of the entire build. Oh well.

So with that said, pictures.

wings-1_zps0e0f7d3a.jpg

wings-2_zps1927da5d.jpg

wings-3_zps51e3dd66.jpg

wings-4_zpsab3f1e29.jpg

wings-5_zps383a07b8.jpg

wings-6_zpsf46ec760.jpg

So with all that let me say, I am pretty happy with the progress so far. The steps backward were of my own making. I used stretched sprue when getting the wings aligned. This allowed me to get the angle close (I think) and also gave me a start on filling the horrible gaps that were a product of fixing the angle.

Thanks you for taking a look. All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

1/72 B-17C/D Wings and A Prayer

Thank you for the kind words.

The black paint is highly thinned Rust-Oleum Flat Black out of a tin.

Joe

1/72 B-17C/D Body Paint

Ok, this will be a two part update.

First will be the initial stage of painting of the fuselage. Setting the stage. The build was primed with Rust-Oleum Flat Black, I then thinned Model Master Olive Drab. I then sprayed the paint on the model, being careful to avoid as many panel lines as I could. This process was a bit time consuming.

First-Stage-1_zpsae89fb31.jpg

First-Stage-2_zpscc85dfce.jpg

First-Stage-3_zps0d9909e2.jpg

First-Stage-4_zps5c6fbdbd.jpg

Second stage is a mixture of the Model Master Olive Drab and Rust-Oleum Flat White in approximately a 50/50 mix. I sprayed this concentrating on the center of the panels. I also kept my focus on the upper sections of the fuselage and the wings.

Second-Stage-1_zps47705db3.jpg

Second-Stage-2_zpsb20f6880.jpg

Second-Stage-3_zpsfb8c08e0.jpg

Second-Stage-4_zps68ab4347.jpg

Second-Stage-5_zpsaa03a23d.jpg

Second part of this update shortly.

Joe

1/72 B-17C/D Body Paint

Part two.

For the third stage of the painting I mixed in more of the Model Master Olive Drab in approximately a 50/50 mix and then thinned to the consistency of fat free milk. I then sprayed a misting over the entire upper surface, I was being very careful to not spray too heavy. I did however make a mistake as I finished with some pebbly surfaces. I then used a very fine sandpaper to beat down the pebbles and then sprayed to fix any blemishes caused by the sanding.

The result.

Third-Stage-1_zpse91e6d58.jpg

Third-Stage-2_zps991a27ec.jpg

Third-Stage-3_zpsa228d07c.jpg

Third-Stage-4_zps2e3ff216.jpg

Third-Stage-5_zps5fc5a075.jpg

And there you have it.

Next up for me on this will be to spray a gloss on the fuselage to prep for decals.

Comments, Critiques, and Criticism are encouraged.

Joe

1/72 B-17C/D Body Paint

Love the painting. Will have to try and copy when I do my B-25.
James

1/72 B-17C/D Body Paint

Many thanks for taking the time to stop by.

The paint technique is from a tutorial that John Steinman posted on another site. He posted it with an armor subject but it works so well for aircraft I just had to adopt and adapt it. For 1/48 or larger birds it could be as many as seven to ten layers, depending on the type of finish you are going for.

Joe

Back