• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fujimi 1/24 Mercedes AMG GT3

Paulw

I have been trying for the past couple of weeks to get a smoother finish for my builds. Acrylics didn't work well for me because I just couldn't wait for them to cure. Lacquers, while tougher than acrylics again I just was too impatient for get the correct setting and learning not to rush the finished result. I then went to 2K top coat. the $10 kit available from Sprue Brothers seemed to be the answer. I again began to run into problems with orange peel in the top coat. I stripped this body about four times and finally through trial and error, mostly error. I think I got the process that seems to work. I had to boost the pressure up to about 25 to 30 psi and force myself to lay it down in shallow mist coats then one final wet coat. Not to be heavy on the trigger also helps. There are still a couple of wrinkles but that comes with time.
20220224_172730.jpg
20220224_172717.jpg
20220224_172737.jpg
20220224_172635.jpg

I have learned some new things doing cars. One of the things is that it seemed to boost the mojo and I am beginning to really enjoy building again. After all, isn't that what we do this hobby for?

We all got some winkles...Good going Paul, getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Git'er done.

Looks like you've got a system going there Paul. Lots of times it doesn't work out as well as this. In the 8 years that I've been building cars I've had this happen this perfect.......once. All the rest of the times I've had to wet sand with fine sanding paper and polish to get results like that. Really glad that this one "behaved" for you.

Back