• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 B-17C/D Finished

1/72 B-17C/D Almost

Joe, do me a favor...those vents behind the engine nacelles. They were clean air cooling vents, thing one of the ducts were for the oil cooler, waste air from the supercharger. They were NEVER exhaust vents and I don't think I have ever seen REAL photo of them being charred with soot, if anything they diverted soot that formed up over the wings.

I think that is the one major mistake folks make modeling the B17, if you're going to weather any soot coming from the engines over the wings, make sure those vents are clear.

Thanks...:mpup

MP I made sure to stay away from that area. The only issue I had was I did get some of the oils on the vents themselves. I had nothing aft them. I did however go around them. I tried to give it a look where the airflow seemed logical. I did keep the topsides of the wings as subtle as I could. I did not want to have too much, these birds would have seen some staining and weathering but not excessive.

Many thanks to all for the kindness.

Joe

And she is finished.

Some stuff at the end was not pleasing. You will see it in the pictures.

But in the end.

The aircraft
B-17C/40-2049

Landed at Bellows Field where she was determined to be repairable but she was later used for spare parts and not repaired.

The Crew
1st Lt. Robert H. Richards, 2D Lt. Leonard S. Humiston, Avn Cdt William F. B. Morris, Avn Cdt George E. Gammans, SSgt Joseph S. Angelini, SSgt Erwin B. Casebolt, SSgt Melvin D. Zajic, SSgt Lawrence B Velarde, and Pvt Vernon D. Tomlinson.

And the pictures.

Finished-1_zps0c899dee.jpg

Finished-5_zps8f2213b1.jpg

Finished-8_zps8d1d0e8c.jpg

Finished-2_zpsd520999c.jpg

Finished-4_zps83db8f6d.jpg

Finished-3_zps840e2507.jpg

Finished-7_zpsc164840f.jpg

Finished-9_zpscb470cc3.jpg

Finished-10_zps575c8e20.jpg

Finished-6_zps36a3dd79.jpg

Thank you for tagging along. I appreciate the very kind words.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

For those who died...
For those who survived...

You will never be forgotten.

Joe

Many many thanks. You are all very kind.

MP it is a bit of drybrushing and a bit of airbrushing of a very thinned blend of the last mix that I had for the OD.

Joe

Back