• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Hurricane FINISHED

I think it will look better once its got a cockpit around it if you se what i mean, cant put off trying to get the fuselage round it and buttoning it up for much longer :)

Big step forward in the Hawker factory today as i joined up the fuselage halves.
There are a lot of things to line up and balance in place buyt it can be done and the parts do actually fit quite well.
I haven't gone overboard on the left side as i am going to fix in place the engine panel that side as i like to have one side buttoned up like my Spit

_DSC7114.JPG

_DSC7115.JPG

I am still trying to replicate wiring so it looks like wiring and not another tube :) I need to add some more detail behind the seat as it can just bee seen but i can do that from the underside

_DSC7115_01.JPG

Last edited:
_DSC7117.JPG

As i mentioned i decided to fit the engine panel to the left side
Two reasons for this,
1/ i like to have one side at least complete and buttoned up so its a contrast to the other side.
2/ With this sort of open panel work the model gets a little weak/fragile if the weight of the engine and prop is hanging out the front with little support. With this model its not so much up and down that needs support as left and right. Add in the panel to one side greatly improves rigidity of the whole bulkhead forward assembly.
All obvious but might help someone in the planning stage of a similar build.

Naaaah, tis just a flesh wound...

images.jpg

An advantage of the Hurricane construction was most bullets and cannon shells would go straight through, the fabric might get a bit tatty but the airframe usually survived.

2124795349_silverhurri_edited-2.thumb.jpg.1bb5214f02ea11ed382fe587c3f9d290.jpg

This is a good picture showing what was metal and what was fabric covered. Hurricanes often looked all metal but this was just the use of silver dope .

I built up both gun bays even though i will only use one but they looked a bit bland so i rebuilt the one that will be seen by adding compressed air pipes, trigger bar and opened up the frame work at the back. the barrels seem to be silver which is either a cooling jacket or a anti icing jacket, not sure

_DSC7123.JPG

_DSC7125.JPG

The build is reaching the point where it out grows my work space :)

_DSC7128.JPG

as soon as i fit the wings i have problems as it has to just sit on top of all the junk that doesnt have a home.

The radiator cowling has two holes in it for the stand ( remember when all aircraft came with a stand ) and a small hole for the wiring if you had built it motorised as the batteries were in the base of the stand. In this case those need to be filled

_DSC7127.JPG

_DSC7129.JPG

The tops of the wings fit really well, as you can see i have buttoned up the left side. ailerons are hinged, another thing from back in the day :)

_DSC7131.JPG

Under the seat you can see there is a stretcher bar across the fuselage, i didnt glue this as per instructions earlier as i thought i might need to lengthen or shorten it to fit between the top wings. I needn't have worried , the whole lot fits like a glove

_DSC7133.JPG

_DSC7134.JPG

The pic above is not glued, thats how the wing sits ... pretty much perfect

_DSC7135.JPG

From the under side the front fit is good with just a small gap to sort out, not bad for a 50 year old model.

Note when fitting the stretcher bar across the fuselage there is virtually no dihedral on a hurricane wing
pDYtn1V.jpg

starting to think about paint at this stage. I am thinking a silver base over metal parts, then some panel line shadow then a chipping layer and then top coat
Sky underside and spinner a fuselage band and RAF green /Brown top coat. I have some stencils for the roundels and lettering but i then had to buy a complete decal set to get the smaller decals which obviously has the roundels anyway so i have choice to spray or decal the markings

Last edited:
Bit of a conundrum here

_DSC7137.JPG

I was told i would probably need to buy metal undercarrage legs as the model is quite heavy. Well you know my thoughts on after market :)
The metal legs are a bit shorter but my worry is they are not just soft...you can bend them into any shape you want.
The plastic parts cant really be twisted and there is a good degree of spring in them so the straighten if bent.

_DSC7143.JPG

I dont know ? Detail is better in plastic. My feeling is to build in plastic and have the metal legs as back up should i have problems with the plastic.
It would be interesting to know where the weakness is as i could possibly reinforce that area with a metal insert I would guess the weakest point is the wheel axel and i can remake that quite easily in brass which would be 10x stronger.

Are those SAC gear?
Always looked to me they just used the plastic kit parts for their molds and didn't bother with upgrading the gear. Doesn't look like there's a lot you can do with the kit part for re-enforcing them, like drilling them out and inserting metal rod. I like your idea just to go with the plastic and see how they hold up.

Yea Scale aircraft conversions . I have no idea what they are made from but in 40 years of engineering i have never seen a metal this soft other than solder which is just tin and lead ?

Are those SAC gear?
Always looked to me they just used the plastic kit parts for their molds and didn't bother with upgrading the gear.

Yea Scale aircraft conversions . I have no idea what they are made from but in 40 years of engineering i have never seen a metal this soft other than solder which is just tin and lead ?

Wow, I only found one set that actually upgraded landing gear parts and three which at least filled the pin marks. The rest are tin copies of the kit parts. SAC is the acronym for Sacks of Awful Crap!

Back