• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Tiger Face' * * F I N I S H E D * *

'Tiger Face'

Looking great Ian! I like the way you're doing the tiger face. I did the same tank in 1/72 scale and I painted mine like they went at it with brushes.

Watching this with interest.

'Tiger Face'

BIG update this afternoon, so I'll break it down into two or three separate posts:

ha5c475f.JPG

hecd999b.JPG

Base coat - Tamiya XF49 'Khaki' - shooting for a 'brownish' version of OD, so this makes sense in my mind :whistle:

h6ae1d6a.JPG

h9e8a3ff.JPG

Small amount of stowage arranged with 'tissue paper' tarps:

he54c190.JPG

h65640f4.JPG

What a mess !! :sick: - Black & 'Green Yellow' pre-shading.

More in a minute, stay tuned.

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

h8eccb80.JPG

haca2578.JPG

My own mix of the aforementioned 'brownish OD - Please folks, I know OD is a VERY devisive topic so let's not go-at-it here please...

h006f6d1.JPG

h7976cfc.JPG

Basic painting of the stowage here, and you can see I've lightened the upper-side OD with some random mottle of lighter OD tone - looks exaggerated here by the flash, it really isn't this 'stark'.

ha28f094.JPG

ha7ad27f.JPG

...bit more stowage painting and a little 'old skool' dry-brushing to make the deatil 'pop'. All of which leads to...

h63a4818.JPG

h2da3b86.JPG

Where I am as this is typed. The four tool/storage bins each side of the turret are just placed at the moment, still detachable for painting later. No more on this for a week or so as on Monday, I start migrating the workbench across the lawn to the 'Man Cave' - It'll take a while to get it the way I want it, but I've reached a fine natural break on this project, ready to pick-up again in a couple of weeks.

AFN, feel free to comment, criticise or query (but no OD arguments, OK :salute ), have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

Yeah but OD would be standard, the same color on everything....
(but no OD arguments, OK :salute ),

Ian.[/color]
Oh, neverimind then....

:rotf

Excellent work Ian, this is really going to be something when done. :popcorn
:salute

'Tiger Face'

Back on the bench and first task, a black (Paynes Grey, actually), oil wash in to the crevices and shadowy areas:

hc36c22f.JPG

h9069b65.JPG

h6c707a5.JPG

Next was something I've never attempted before. Because I've tried to make the OD a very brownish tone, to my eye, I've overdone it and it just looks 'too brown' so a couple of days later I mixed some Windsor & Newton Olive Green with a little Raw Umber and got a very good OD tone. I thinned this right down and applied it liberally over all the model (except the yellow areas).

h0acddad.JPG

h915b781.JPG

h8e45e2c.JPG

Doesn't show-up too well due to my limited photography skills, but it's changed the whole tone of the paintwork. It's a little darker and greener and the over-lightened top areas are far more subtle now. In short - it worked :dance

Next I'll spray a coat of acrylic varnish, after that an oil-dot wash. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More soon.

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

At the start of this ... this was a Ugly Tank ... Well My friend from a Ugly duckling to a beautiful swan ... I believe you've done it ... and still some to go great stowage work BTW ... :popcorn

Back