• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I am dealing with a wet disaster.

Heavens Eagle

Was doing some laundry Monday night put a first load in the dryer and started a second load. Started a timer since the dryer no longer will shut itself off and went into my front room to look at stuff on the computer. Forty Five minutes later the timer went off and I came out to find water EVERYWHERE! The washer hose where it goes into the wall had given up the ghost and burst. It had been spraying water for a while. Shut the water off and did about 8 hours of damage control. All the wood laminate floor in the house is going to have to be replaced. I caught it before the water got very deep (1/4 inch or so) but it spread under the laminate as well as on top of it. Entire living room was wet and half of both back bedrooms had to be torn out for water damage.

So I now get to do inventory, weed out, and reshuffle everything. Been needing to do it anyway, so I now have the opportunity. BIG JOB and I have way too much stuff.

Some after demolition photos. They came this morning and ripped out all the wet flooring. The positive was that I used my shop vac and removed so much water the other night that the only thing we came on was damp concrete and damaged flooring that was warping. No real wet areas were found. Also I only had slight damage to a couple of kit boxes and shelving units in the living room. Everything has dried out well and I have to wait 2 days listening to hurricane fans in the house. The other good thing is my front bedroom where I sleep and have my computer are completely dry and escaped the general disaster.

Some photos.

ww-01.jpg

ww-02.jpg

ww-03.jpg

ww-04.jpg

ww-05.jpg

I would suggest everyone check your washing machine hoses. Turns out mine were ancient and I was lucky they lasted as long as they did. My washer is ancient as well but does a decent job and doesn't get a lot of hard use, so with new hoses on it, I expect it should still have a number of years left.

Wow! That stinks. It is surprising how quickly water from leaks, burst pipes, etc., can cause a lot of damage.

Holy crap!
When we added on our house we put a new laundry room in it. I insisted on having a floor drain installed just for this reason.
Look at replacing the floor with Luxury Vinyl Planking Paul. We put it in our bathrooms and I couldn't be happier.

Major Bummer. My wife likes to stuff things in odd corners, and one time she knocked the washer drain hose out of the pipe. Luckily I was home and caught it right away. Stern words were spoken about putting anything in that area again. One of the few times she thought I had something useful to say, I guess, because it has remained clear back there since then.

Yeah, the laundry room is basically in the center of the house. Major stupid on the architect and builder not to put a drain in there. I am pushing to replace the floor in the living room with more ceramic tile and will probably try to come up with something in the laundry room as a prevent on this again. Should have thought about the hoses on the washer as they were at least 25 years old. Washer still works great, but a little forethought would have saved a bunch of hassle. Oh well it is getting me to do something I was needing and that is weed out and thin out my stash which is way too big, and get some other things going.

Any planking on top of the concrete would have to be pulled up if water goes under it. With the laminate, it is on top of a plastic underlayer and the water flowed under that quite a ways and was trapped there. The blowers and condenser are pulling the remainder of the water out and it is getting about a half gallon an hour. It's noisy as hell, but in my bedroom I barely hear it sounds like rain on the roof. The guys that came and ripped out the damaged stuff today said that it would have been about 20x worse if I had not done all the work I did the other night. The walls would have probably needed sheetrock remove up a foot or so as the water would have soaked up. As it was there was only a little water damage to the base boards and the wood floor itself.

The hard part is that to redo the floors I am going to have to empty the back rooms and the living room. Will have to talk to the contractor and figure out what we can do.

We used braided lines on ours. I'll have to make sure I swap out the ones in the new house.

That is the main reason I put this up. I never thought about the water lines going to the washer. They like everything can go bad. Would have only taken maybe 30 minutes max to change them out and it would have saved a lot of expense and hassle. If someone going through this had said something, I would have checked mine as I know they are over 20 years old.

Sorry about that, not fun.My basement in NJ flooded in 2010 due to Hurricane Irene, the basement slop sink was basically like a volcano.At least it wasn't finished just had to vacuum and dehumidify it.
Hopefully you get it back to normal fast

Was doing some laundry Monday night put a first load in the dryer and started a second load. Started a timer since the dryer no longer will shut itself off and went into my front room to look at stuff on the computer. Forty Five minutes later the timer went off and I came out to find water EVERYWHERE! The washer hose where it goes into the wall had given up the ghost and burst. It had been spraying water for a while. Shut the water off and did about 8 hours of damage control. All the wood laminate floor in the house is going to have to be replaced. I caught it before the water got very deep (1/4 inch or so) but it spread under the laminate as well as on top of it. Entire living room was wet and half of both back bedrooms had to be torn out for water damage.

So I now get to do inventory, weed out, and reshuffle everything. Been needing to do it anyway, so I now have the opportunity. BIG JOB and I have way too much stuff.

Some after demolition photos. They came this morning and ripped out all the wet flooring. The positive was that I used my shop vac and removed so much water the other night that the only thing we came on was damp concrete and damaged flooring that was warping. No real wet areas were found. Also I only had slight damage to a couple of kit boxes and shelving units in the living room. Everything has dried out well and I have to wait 2 days listening to hurricane fans in the house. The other good thing is my front bedroom where I sleep and have my computer are completely dry and escaped the general disaster.

Some photos.

View attachment 139312

View attachment 139313

View attachment 139314

View attachment 139315

View attachment 139316

I would suggest everyone check your washing machine hoses. Turns out mine were ancient and I was lucky they lasted as long as they did. My washer is ancient as well but does a decent job and doesn't get a lot of hard use, so with new hoses on it, I expect it should still have a number of years left.
Man sorry to hear this! We recently inherited a new washer and dryer so replaced it all. I am paranoid about this very thing…so sorry!!!

The good things are that I get to choose the new flooring going in as I am in the initial stages of buying this place. It is also making me start the weed out process to get rid of stuff I don't need or want. Also need to just lighten my load of stuff.

I am literally going to have to move everything out of the back two bedrooms in the house. That is where the majority of my hobby stuff is, and there is a LOT of it. Am looking to go with some wood pattern ceramic tile instead of the damn fake wood floors. This would have been no big deal if they had all been tile. Hate the little divider bumps with the wood laminate floors to begin with.

Going to be weeding out and putting some kits up for sale after this to shrink my stash to a manageable level.

Here is what I am thinking of doing for replacement flooring.
IMG_51421.jpg

It is actually ceramic tile. Will have to put some rugs or something down in my work areas as I tend to drop things made out of metal. That or put something on top to protect the ceramic from dropping things like machinist squares or aluminum angle.

Thinning the herd is never a bad idea... I am doing that this fall at CMS (Cleveland Model Show).

I love the idea of ceramic tile. I FINALLY convinced my wife to use it in the hall, bathroom, and laundry area of the new addition. Durable and easy to clean!

Would rubber matts around the machine equipment work for you?

Just reading this now, that's awful Paul! Hope the clean up is going well!

My father worked in appliance repair so he always made sure we had the metal flex hoses on our washer. Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago but with the expansion tank on the furnace. Flooded 1/2 the basement!

It's all dried out. Been moving all the crap I have out of the rooms affected so new flooring can be installed. I have this week off (YAY!) so I can get it all moved around and packed and piled. The I have to wait on the contractor, so it could be a couple of weeks to a month to get everything done. :bash::bang head

Of course then I have to move it all back. Am trying to weed stuff in the process and will do so when moving stuff back.

Back