• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Tiger Face' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Now I know I haven't been too good at finishing projects for campaigns recently, but when a Korean War Campaign was first mooted here a few months back, this was absolutely the first idea that came-to-mind.

I bought this kit when it was first released by Dragon way back in 1995 - It's been sitting in my stash for twenty years. About twelve years ago, I found a superb build article of this kit by 'Cookie' Sewel in an old FSM, in the article he suggested that the kit tracks were inaccurate enough that replacing them with the rubber ones from the very old Italeri M47 was a better option - obviously this was long before AFV Club and others issued their excellent replacement sets.

So, an AFV kit, not something I do too often and a complex paint scheme, not a very plain overall OD that I tend to favour... What could possibly go wrong ??? :hmmm

h937e323.jpg

hd142cb0.jpg

h340fb64.jpg

Stay tuned. :soldier

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

There are other schemes is the decals are not up to par:

h282c749_2015-07-25.jpg

hda60a3d_2015-07-25.jpg

Yet, this scheme is the best and hand painting is still a possibility thanks to the variations:

h8d90ddc_2015-07-25.jpg

ha33032c_2015-07-25.jpg

hc4e1672_2015-07-25.jpg

hd1c125d_2015-07-25.jpg

Regards,

'Tiger Face'

Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen. Pretty much going to follow Cookie Sewell's lead on this one, thinking-it-through there's not too much to be 'scared' of; once the yellow is on, I can mask it off, then simply paint the rest as I would any other OD model. Later I can go back to the yellow and hand-paint the black & white stripes with enamels, then weather-down the whole thing as per usual.

Should be an interesting few weeks, and far enough away from my usual 'comfort zone' to keep my mind busy... maybe :frantic

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

Started gluing plastic bits together yesterday. No problems so far, but man this is one ugly vehicle !!

h4dc52e1.JPG

hb8953b9.JPG

h13b40f3.JPG

Fun next week when I attempt to wrestle the suspension in to submission !! :frantic - Don't forget to tune in for that episode, folks !!

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

I'll be watching from across the pond Ian ... Very nice build .... Will be interesting to see what you do with it .... :popcorn

'Tiger Face'

What's with the negative waves! :smack It's a beautiful tank as tanks go...

:fencing
No, Bob it really isn't, it's butt-ugly and you know it. Now this is a "Mother beautiful tank..."

h2499067.jpg

More soon, folks, after a word from your local stations. Don't touch that dial.

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

Grabbing an hour or so here and there over the last few evenings, the ugly wee thing now looks a lot more 'tank like'. Lots and lots of actual construction in this kit and I'm absolutely loving it. The structure is so d*mn strong I could use it as a door-stop or a car-jack.

h2ebebe3.JPG

h28c3040.JPG

h1130f81.JPG

All the suspension done, wheels too, but I'm leaving them to one side until after priming, base-coating and pre-shading.

hbe78fda.JPG

hda827b6.JPG

Front hull and top deck done. Fenders added but no details as yet.

h78e469e.JPG

h2b4afd5.JPG

Dropped the turret back on just for a couple of photos. Beginning to look a little more 'loveable' now. Stay tuned, more to come at the weekend.

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

Quite a sizeable update this morning which I'll split in to two separate posts, so please bare with me:

h3052a3d.JPG

hecc49f5.JPG

Easy-peasy, Tamiya acrylic (grey) primer straight from the rattle can to give a 'uniform' tone to lay the paint upon.

h0215dfe.JPG

hd078df4.JPG

Now we enter 'uncharted waters'. My thinking went like this: Here's a vehicle about to be sent in to the front-line in the cold Korean winter, so who's going to spend time in the outdoors carefully spraying yellow in to each and every nook & crannie ?? - answer, nobody; these guys are going to paint where they can reach, so for my model, the yellow isn't going to be as extensive as most modellers have finished theirs. I broke-out the Tamiya XF4 'Green Yellow' as a base-coat and sprayed where my bright yellow is going to be,

hba43499.JPG

h7254447.JPG

ha1272a2.JPG

Next, I pre-shaded with Tamiya XF51 'Khaki Drab' those areas where the natural shadow will fall. This also included the detached storage bins that will sit each side of the turret on the sponson's.

More in the next post, stand by....

Ian.

'Tiger Face'

OK, back with 'part two'

At the same time as I pre-shaded over the yellow green, I also sprayed Khaki Drab in to all the suspension/running gear areas, the bottom of the hull and below the turret bustle. Next job was to choose an 'appropriate' bright yellow. No contest really, Tamiya X8 'Lemon Yellow'.

h1dea90d.JPG

hb0fea42.JPG

h5fc3752.JPG

Two thin coats misted over the same areas and the pre-shading faded neatly in to the background. Not too much skill involved here, but a little forethought and a LOT of luck.

hf98ff05.jpg

h0e25a44.JPG

So here's where she sits this morning. Have to say that I'm really pleased with the overall 'look' - in my head I know exactly how the Olive Drab is going to wrap-around the yellow, I just hope my ability can match my imagination. So that's it for now from 'Tiger-Face Territory' time to finish the V100. As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More later in the week.

Ian.

Back