• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

40 Year Old Monogram 1969 Z/28 to SS 396 Restoration

mustang1989

I finished this one after 7 months in July of 2017 and this is another one that's got a special place with me. I've shown it at one other place but thought I'd try my luck here as well. This car was my very first car model and I originally built it at 12 years old. It survived all these years to become a "glue bomb" project at the first part of last year. Almost all of the original parts have been used except for the hood, grille and a few other parts here and there. All in all the old build was in decent shape as I'd managed to keep it encased since first building it 35 years. When I left home at age 19 for the Army I left this build and several others behind where it stayed all this time until I finally picked it up from my parents house and put it in my display case here at home where it's spent the last 5 years. When I started on it 7 months ago there was no engine and the interior was.......well ........you know ...........very "Monogram" basic. I had alot of work ahead of me which I found out throughout the course of the re-build. I ended up using a total of five other kits to piece some of the missing pieces together (one of which was a newer Revell Camaro release kit to "update" this old dog of a kit with some of the parts that Monogram had failed to put in their kit) , hood and wheels were donations from good friends here on the forums. Powertrain/ drive train was from the AMT Chevelle SS396 kit. I ended up spending ALOT of time in the interior as well as the engine compartment. All badging is from PE fret for the Revell Camaro kits and the paint is GM paint code 79U--Mystic Teal Metallic, a paint that was used in the late 90's/ early 2000's on GM vehicles (Camaro's / Firebirds being in that line up). I also opted to transform this into an SS which took a little fancy foot work with the grille but I managed to pull it all off okay plus I got rid of those FREAKIN' DOTS in the middle of the turn signal and headlamp lenses. I'm pretty happy with the results although the kit (as well as me) had it's limitations. lol

The original boxing that I'm sure a number of you here are familiar with:

1623803753805.png

The BEFORE shots as it was built when I was 12 years old.

RSCN0264.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

After Shots:

1623804214535.png

1623804235355.png

1623804261391.png

1623804276277.png

1623804293350.png

The basic chassis was only touched up finish wise. Approximately 80% of the detailing was left as it was originally.

1623804320791.png

1623804345862.png

COMPLETE re-do in the engine bay. For starters ....there was no engine in the original build. Just don't know what happened to it through the years. The engine was taken from AMT's 1970 1/2 Baldwin Motion Camaro kit and adorned with aftermarket resin and PE items to make it pop more.

1623804372265.png

EXTENSIVE work was done in the interior as the original interior was just white with little to no detailing and didn't have the rear seat. I had to rob that from another kit.

1623804397016.png

and I didn't do too bad in San Antonio a few years back with her either...

l6FDgS.jpg

Last edited:
Back