• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Spit MKXVIe 1/32

paddy

Well i made a start on this. Always a difficult thing with me. Once i am up and running i am fine but it takes me a while to get an interest going. I expect to stop this at some time and get on with my entry for the "Call to arms" build. a rather nice chieftain tank with Eduard PE arrived yesterday. Having never built armour in my life it should be fun ...at least i am sure it will give our armour friends here a laugh. :laugh: My brother was stationed in Germany in the 80s and drove chieftains ! the British army had sold all its good versions new to the Shar of Iran when there was one and were left with a load with highly unreliable Chrysler torquflight gear boxed versions. The front line of Defence against the Russians tended to breakdown quite often, so much so that the Rhine army plan was to try and delay the Russians reaching the English channel for 3 days so the British could withdraw as fast as possible. MBT's like the Chieftain were charged with making their way to a pre dug hole in the ground, driving in and becoming field artillery that would hold the line for 48 hours. My brother had 54 tanks in his squadron and approx 1/3rd would not make it to their hole in the ground (usually less than 15 miles) on practice runs due to unreliability. Tanks had approx 10 shells each after which crews were expected to make their own way back to England but in reality they were not expected to make it.
Lucky the Russians didnt know :woohoo:

anyway.......Spitfires

This is the Compass..

DSC_6243.jpg

You can just see it in front of the real thing on my work bench :laugh:

DSC_6252.jpg

and this is the "stick"

It looks a bit hairy here as the thread i used was all i had but the "hair" will sit down with some flat coat...i hope :)and anyway, as its only3mm across you cant see it with the naked eye.

DSC_6254.jpg

DSC_6263_01.jpg

Dedication? Insanity is more like it... Anyway you know what I think of your diligence Paddy, awesome. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I have done the easy bit which is really OOB and there is very little to add at this stage.. I used the kit instrument panel which is actually better than the Eduard PE although the PE is easier as its pre painted and pre glued. The kit has a choice of a MkII reflector gun sight or a MkIV Gyro "Ace maker" gun sight. anything after 1944 would have had the Ace maker really so that's what i have gone with.

DSC_6269.jpg

Only additions to the kit here are a couple of placard decals from the Airscale 1/32 which is a must have if you are detailing things yourself rather than relying on pre painted PE. Also the range scale on the front of the gun sight.

DSC_6267.jpg

DSC_6266.jpg

Next step is cockpit side wall. loads of work there :)

Awesome Paddy. I like that clean dirty look what do you use as a wash?

i just use water colours, the artist types that come in tubes, you can make then as strong or week as you like, add a minute spec of dishwashing liquid so it covers and dosnt separate like oil/water. You can adjust again as and again with a wet brush or even wash it all off and start again. When your happy and its dry give it a light coat of , in this case , flat clear. you can get all the colours like burnt umber and so on that you can get in oils and a tube lasts a life time.

What colour did you use for the Bakelite seat Paddy?
James

I use a Tamiya Rattle can, TS33 Dull Red but it could also be called Hull Red :) it could do with being a little darker but like the Tamiya "interior green" i use, i add some white and scale all the colours up a shade given the lack of light and enclosed space......artistic licence ;)

Hot work there Paddy! (y)

What paints do you use Acrylics or Enamels - if Acrylics (water based) would the adjusting/washing off the washes affect the Acrylics?

Back