• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Spit MKXVIe 1/32

That is looking real nice Paddy. I really like how the panel lines come through the decals

I have made a start on the firewall. I want iyt to look well used to match the outside finish i am aiming for. I have had no luck finding detail pictures of the Mk XVI with its cowl off. All i know is its quite different to a MkIX as the kit contains complete sets of different ancillary parts for the two models.

DSC_6465.jpg

DSC_6472.jpg

Pipes are the same brass tube i use for turn buckles :) ie: 0.018" OD

I spent a fair amount of time today trying to scratch build a ignition system for my Spit. I am astounded that Tamiya produced such a beautifully moulded and detailed kit and completely omitted the ignition leads and supply tubes that sit right on top of the engine in full view...
I failed

I fabricated the tubes and the elbow joints, 6 per tube for the ignition wires out of plastistrut 1mm and .75mm rod. I then needed to attach the braided S/S ignition leads to the plastic...hmmmmmm, what about a short section of heat shrink tubing ?? half on the plastic rod and half on the braided wire, heat it up and it should form a join between the two !!! wrong, heating it up worked for 3 joints and then suddenly it melted the plastic rod ...back to square one .
Strange thing is the kit has the tubes to carry the ignition wires on the side of the engine where they will never be seen but they are completely missing from the area between the cylinders..

A few failed ideas later...... :cheer:
DSC_6505.jpg

I will need to try again with another idea .. when i have one

EDIT This is my latest idea

DSC_6504.jpg

Just a laminate of plastic strip and some copper wire, i think i might need to paint the wire a sort of off titanium colour. Made a start on some of the other plumbing but most is intertwined with he engine bearers so i cant do much more yet.

(y) Good job. Tamiya does some odd things . Their famous Swordfish had decals marking both wings as Port .
If they had walked to the other side of the plane they might have noted that it is marked starboard .
Incomplete research. :(

Cheers, Christian B)

One other thing I just noticed Paddy is the prominent name plates on the valve covers. There was a fellow who made some a while back, but they are rare. I guess its too late to mention Barracuda makes valve covers with the name plate on.
Following the plumbing problem for future ref for my Mk IX.
James

Hi James
This is a Packard Merlin in the MkXVI it doesn't have a name plate on the covers but i know what you mean, the MkIX had Rolls Royce on them..Tamiya do mould them in on the other kit
Its amazing how different the engines are or at least the ancillaries. The plumbing on the RR motor is completely different and i have struggled to find Packards with the plumbing in place ie: from engine to firewall etc. Something you don't get on museum engines sitting on tressles

I spent a fair amount of time today trying to scratch build a ignition system for my Spit. I am astounded that Tamiya produced such a beautifully moulded and detailed kit and completely omitted the ignition leads and supply tubes that sit right on top of the engine in full view...

Can't see your photobucket images yet but I know what you're talking about. They did the same thing on the Mustang engine. And what's funny, it seems as though they left provisions for "upgrade sets" or future parts. Like on the Magneto housing, you can see what looks like a part locator coming down.

Greetings Paddy, & Aircraft Builders;

Very nice work......... she is looking good ..... :mpup

Nice build ........ :popcorn

Mike

Quick update to yesterdays post as i have done the copper plumbing on this side of the engine. As i say this is about as far as i can go without putting it in its cradle. although i need to do something at the back for the throttle linkage when i can get some piano wire of the right size..Magnetos need a dark wash at some point as well

DSC_6510.jpg

Cheers (y)

Back