• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Spit MKXVIe 1/32

Maybe these will help.

For discussion purposes from Aero Detail 27 and Modelmania 5.

1%7E6.jpg

2%7E3.jpg

3%7E2.jpg

4%7E2.jpg

James

This looks a bit of a mess...........but thats the Aim :) or at least thats my excuse ;)

DSC_6529.jpg

DSC_6526.jpg

The temptation to give it shiny copper pipes and super gloss black valve covers is very tempting but the reality is these were semi gloss black and matt interior green, copper oxidises pretty quick if left unpainted so to give a nod towards separating water pipes from framework i have chipped the pipes to show areas of copper.
Merlins were designed to have a 100 hr life with a major rebuild at 50hrs. In reality most during the B of B never got past 20hrs anyway. Spitfires like this that were still soldiering on 4 years after the end of the war and relegated to gunnery practice would have been subject to a very hard life and showing a huge amount of wear. Its no surprise that the basis of this build in the pictures at the start of this thread eventually died of engine failure !!
I think once in the context of the rest of the airframe you will see it sort of works....i hope (y)

Hey Paddy. That's looking real nice. It looks a lot more like something on the flight line than what most guys build (y)

It's gonna be a shame to button this one up . :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian, the engine panels are ultra thin and held on with small magnets so it will not be buttoned up really :) at least not on my shelf ;)

Well Paddy I failed to remember that the large models have those nice options.

Since I build 1/72 , there are normally few option. They are still make them pretty much the same as our ancestor made them back in their caves.

Good for you. I would hate to hide such great detail. (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks everyone.
Huge problems today, i can see now why Paul w had problems with the cowlings. I cant work out what is wrong but i built the MkIX and had no problems.
I removed the exhaust shubs and their mountings and the cover fit spot on.

DSC_6533.jpg

but you can see here the rocker boxes are touching the sides of the top cowling so there is no room for the length of frame work that sits above the exhaust stubs

DSC_6538.jpg

I have sanded this length down to paper thin and re attached it , i also noticed i had used the wrong exhaust stubs so i changed them too. i think this will now work but i cant really see what has changed between the MkIX and Mk XVI unless its the top cowling.

Thanks everyone.
Huge problems today, i can see now why Paul w had problems with the cowlings. I cant work out what is wrong but i built the MkIX and had no problems.
I removed the exhaust shubs and their mountings and the cover fit spot on.

DSC_6533.jpg

but you can see here the rocker boxes are touching the sides of the top cowling so there is no room for the length of frame work that sits above the exhaust stubs

DSC_6538.jpg

I have sanded this length down to paper thin and re attached it , i also noticed i had used the wrong exhaust stubs so i changed them too. i think this will now work but i cant really see what has changed between the MkIX and Mk XVI unless its the top cowling.

I think bot top covers are the same Paddy unless it its because of the side scoop locations, Oh for a Griffon hood, hey? Quite the conundrum and I hope you have it hammered out.

Not sure how I let this slip past, magnificent work so far Paddy, (y) (y) I'm sure you'll overcome this latest issue !

I dont really know even now where i went wrong. The positioning of the parts is so precise on this kit its hard to see where i could have made the mistake but anyway, after a lot of careful thinning of the parts around the exhaust stubs to enable the covers to fit over the frame that the covers would fix too (If that makes sense) i have now got the covers to fit as best they will. Painting the thing silver shows up the gaps that dont show with darker camouflage colours as well.

DSC_6722.jpg

DSC_6721.jpg

I did not have any of this problem with the Mk IX i built ages ago but this MkXVI has really tested me to my modelling limits !!!!
almost there now so will put some finished pictures up in the next few days
Thanks for Looking (y)

Hey Paddy, that looks quite acceptable to me . Glad you got it under control.

I have similar problems all the time with the 1/72 scale . Everything is just very tight :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Back