• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Acrylics

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Spraying my Zero with Tamiya acrylics, just because I'm too lazy to cross reference their color call out, and see they suggest their Lacquer thinner..but it said it's Acrylic.. OK I know that Lacquer thinner will thin most things other than enamel. I initially used Denatured Alcohol to thin and clean up, even squirted some in the jar when done. Now I'm wondering am I going to have a jar of Tamiya Goop next time I open it?

What do you use on Tamiya Acrylics, what SHOULD we use?

Well Bob,

You could use Tamiya X-20A thinner for there Acrylics,that's ok,BUT...Tamiya LACQUER THINNER just sprays much better!!!:)

I used to use X-20A,but I just love the way how Tamiya Acrylics work sprayed with Laquer thinner.

If you got the chance cheque out the MIG productions video on color modulation....It really is a big help on spraying with laquer thinners!

Also,in the video is mentioned that Tamiya Acrylics are NOT really Acrylics!!!

[could not find the video on You Tube other wise I would have posted it]

Greetings,Ron.

ps Please ventilate your room when using Laquer thinners!!!

Perhaps I'm missing something but if you thin them with lacquer thinner aren't you negating the primary advantage of using acrylics in the first place ? Might just as well use enamels !

Perhaps I'm missing something but if you thin them with lacquer thinner aren't you negating the primary advantage of using acrylics in the first place ? Might just as well use enamels !
Not at all. The Tamiya lacquer thinner is made for use with plastics and most of all, with Tamiya paints. It dries extremely fast and smooth, does have a bit of a smell though, but the benefits out weigh the bad.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tamiya+lacquer+thinner&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&biw=1280&bih=815&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8994361320862986170&sa=X&ei=DXWfTfz6CqyB0QGF36SDBQ&ved=0CEkQ8wIwAA#
What I really want to know is, what IS the stuff?? Some have said it's denatured alcohol, but I'd really like to know for sure.

That's my take on it Gary.

Ron I spray AlcladII on a regular basis and love it, the fumes...no..I have a full size garage I work in and generally open the garage door, great venting!

So Tamiya Acrylics is not really acrylics in the same matter as say, Model Master Acrylics.

Mike, Chris and I did see one of Migs' videos a while back and we all walked away from being throughly confused about the subject, acrylic, enamel, lacquer,,,just buy our brand.

More later...

tamiya colors are not pure acrylic colors like e.g. vallejo but more like pseudo-acrylic so using either isopropanol, tamiya thinner (basically the same but more expensive) or their lacquer thinner is the way to go!

the lacquer thinner gives the best results!

I concur about the Laquer thinner gives smoother results

but

Some places no longer stock it

so

I stick to Tamiya normal thinners

I

Hope

that

helps :)

Hi Bob,

as you know I use Tamiya acrylics. in several different ways including mixing if with future.

Windex ( with Ammonia ) will clean it up. I also use lacquer thinner on the AB to get some of the more stubborn spots ( due to a low level of patience ).

I too agree that it sprays best with lacquer thinner but as OD. said it surely canceled out any possibility of using something less hazardous. Plus it smells to high heaven.

As long as I have to mention health issues, the Tamiya paint label mentioned not breathing the fumes as they are dangerous ( Acrylics ).

Probably a better way to go would be to use the Vallejos as they can be thinned with water only. I have also sprayed them using the X20A as it cure4s the paint faster.

Lastly, from reading articles posted on ARC. by a chemist he claims that all thinners are Alcohol based but the final product depends on what additives are added to the alcohol. The more I work with these things the more I am convinced he is correct.

That's my quarter's worth. Cheers, Christian B)

I have a hard enough time getting Tamiya, you want me to switch to Vallejos? Actually I woudn't have a problem with that but the availability of it is my issue.

Oh yeah,
I should have mentioned this:

If you want to spray Tamiya Acrylics thinned with laquerthinners,
For a base coat you should have a ratio of; 1 part paint to 4 parts laquerthinners,
For thinner lines, a ratio of 1 part paint to 6 parts laquerthinners.

By the way,I never pour thinners in the original jar,
I always get a empty jar and put some paint and thinners into this one,just the amount I will use for 1 airbrush session....
That way the paint in the original jar cannot be effected by the thinners and will stay in a good shape for a longer time.

Hope this can help you a bit.:)

Greetings,Ron.

I use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the drug store- works every time, and is cheap to boot!

I use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the drug store- works every time, and is cheap to boot!

I too use th 91% Alcohol & have never had a problem. I also heard this past Week-end, from MIG that Tamiya isn't really an Acrylic. I guess it's on th Lacquer based side of Acrylics . If there is such a thing. I thought Vallejo was on the latex/polyurethane side of Acrylic ? Which I too love, for brush painting ! Also ! Check this out. I went to MIG's Demo this past week end @ AMPS - He took some of AK Interactive's Dust FX ( enamel based) & poured it straight into th Airbrush ( Iawata, @ 30 psi) & shot it on th Model. No Thinning .... Something to think about !!

ERIK

:) I use plain Methylated Spirits from the hardware - $1.20 litre. Drys fast and is good for cleaning the airbrush as well. Gives the Tamiya a nice powder coat feel for armor.
;)
Ian.

thanks for the answers guys, I've been shooting Tamiya Acrylics with both Denatured Alcohol and Lacquer thinner and can see a difference with the two, now I know what those differences are it can be used as an advantage depending on what finish we're trying to get. Alcohol seems to be more rich, smooth finish, lacquer seems to be, as Ian states, more powdered finish.

thanks for the feedback!

Back