• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Do-335 1/48th scale by Tamiya

centaur567

100_8362.JPG
100_8368.JPG

I found this kit on clearance in Hobby Lobby soon after we moved here to GA, about 17 years ago, for $15.00 and couldn't pass it up. I decided i was just going to paint the landing gear RLM 02 since that color is going to be used on the 109E that's in progress. One thing led to another with other colors I'm using and decided what the heck, "start it!!", I said to myself. With the cost of paint, now a days, it made sense. I'm using the only D0-335 in existence as a color reference for the interior. More research is needed for the camo colors of this particular aircraft. Either #111 or #112. Gary S.

Bild1.jpg

I found a WWII color picture of one. Monogram Official painting guide says they were painted dark green/ light green or RLM82/RLM 83. The kit instructions say RLM 81 brown-violet/ RLM 82 dark green after dark green/black green paint was used up. ???? Anybody have a dart board I could use? Gary S.

Monogram Official painting guide says they were painted dark green/ light green or RLM82/RLM 83. The kit instructions say RLM 81 brown-violet/ RLM 82 dark green after dark green/black green paint was used up. ???? Anybody have a dart board I could use? Gary S.
@centaur567, the book is correct.

Thia restored one is based on the paints found while removing the layers:

1707188156344.png

The thing to remember is that there were not very many of these that actually flew. I know the French ended up with one that had a small hatch behind the pilot for a radar operator. They wrecked it just taxing it around on a field. The two seater that you are doing had several that were in process when captured.
Now as this is one of my grail kits, I have a bunch of reference on it, so let me share.
D0 3351.jpg

Do 335-119-reference.jpg

Waffen Arsenal 093 Do-335 Pfeil_Page_15_Image_0001.jpg

Do335-16f-s.jpg
14615669695_6898f95363.jpg

Do335-25f.jpg

The one below #121 is the one I want to do in this exact scene. It has the front engine, but does not appear to have the rear engine.

Do335-A12-105af+s.jpg

I believe #112 is the only two seater that actually flew.

Do335-A12-104.jpg

Do335-A12-103s.jpg

and of course the one that the French effed up.

Do335_V14_02f-s.jpg

Do335_V17_05af-s.jpg

Do335_V17_01f-s.jpg

Do335_V14_09f-s.jpg

This was the B variant with an armored windscreen and cannon in the wings.

Color scheme

do335mu_2.JPG

Waffen Arsenal 093 Do-335 Pfeil_Page_15_Image_0001.jpg

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, let me know as these are just from my grazing on the internet. I have several books as well.

Do335 240112 in RAF markings (AM223) at Farnborough. A Canadian pilot with the Foreign Aircraft Flight, S/L McCarthy, traded 15 FW-190's to the USAAF for it. It crashed in Jan 1946 on approach to Farnborough with the aft engine on fire that burnt thru the elevator cables. The pilot, G/C Hards, CO RAE Farnborough was killed. Also visible are areas where the German markings were over painted before the US markings were applied and then the RAF markings applied over the US markings.

240112a.jpg

240112b.jpg

You don't want to go near the RLM 81/82/83 debate without full body armour. Just last summer the original formula for RLM 83 was uncovered and it is indeed Dunkelblau not Dunkelgrun. Non-Specular Sea Blue ANA607 is a close match. It was intended to be used in conjunction with RLM 70 Schwartzgrun on aircraft operating over land and RLM 72 Grun on aircraft operating over sea in orders issued in November 1943.

Now the debate is how widely used was RLM 83? On aircraft identified as using "RLM 83" , is it the official dunkelblau or a miss identified green that is actually a shade of RLM 81 or 82? There is evidence of an overall dark blue often with a squiggle pattern being used in the MTO and the dark blue being used in Norway on aircraft employed in the maritime strike role. At this time, there doesn't seem to be evidence that RLM 83 could be used as a replacement for either RLM 81 or 82. If that holds true, there won't be a mad rush to repaint your late war Luftwaffe models that used RLM 83 Dunkelgrun with RLM 83 Dunkelblau.

Cheers,
RichB

On the #112 aircraft, was the underside blue 65 or NM ? It looks like a lot of different shades of color in the photo. Also, I don't see a lot of contrast in the upper colors. Thanks, Gary S.

It was painted, they could be panels that were nm but I didn't notice them. OH, the 112 aircraft. sorry, thought you were asking about the 102 that I saw.

Monogram Official painting guide says they were painted dark green/ light green or RLM82/RLM 83. The kit instructions say RLM 81 brown-violet/ RLM 82 dark green after dark green/black green paint was used up.

OK, I was obviously wrong. Monogram Aviation Publications (c) 1980 painting guide is volume one.
MonogramOfficialPaintingGuideGerman1935to45a.JPG
MonogramOfficialPaintingGuideGerman1935to45b.JPG
MonogramOfficialPaintingGuideGerman1935to45c.JPG
MonogramOfficialPaintingGuideGerman1935to45d.JPG
MonogramOfficialPaintingGuideGerman1935to45e.JPG

I will use Monogram Aviation Publications monograph on the Do-335 (c) 1983 and 1997.
MonogramD0335ArrowMonograph0.JPG
MonogramD0335ArrowMonograph1.JPG
MonogramD0335ArrowMonograph2.JPG
MonogramD0335ArrowMonograph3.JPG

Thanks!! I have volume 1 and your volume 2 clears things up a little. It looks to me that the green color used by Dornier in the restoration is a little too bright and needs to be toned down a bit. Gary S.

Wow I totally forgot, I got that book somewhere.
Find it as it is a VERY expensive book to replace since it has actual color chips...
Thanks!! I have volume 1 and your volume 2 clears things up a little. It looks to me that the green color used by Dornier in the restoration is a little too bright and needs to be toned down a bit. Gary S.
Gary, the brightness was there but it is your model so, tone it down, as you wish! Volume one should be kept because of the paint samples. The changes in nomenclature are an easy update since the book is a looseleaf type. Simply print out the new information, hole punch it, and insert.

Back