• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

STUG 3 C/D - EASTERN FRONT(Frankenstein build)

IMG_1630_zps07a7267a.jpg

Are you using 'The Nutter' (don't giggle, that really is the name of a tool) to create these bolts?

Regards,

:) Thanks for following Sherman 18, The Zod and James.

Are you using 'The Nutter' (don't giggle, that really is the name of a tool) to create these bolts?

Regards,[/quote]

Saul,
no nutters here, just cast railway bolt threads with nuts from Kadee.

Ian.

Hello Ian,

Nothing I love more than a parts box build John will attest to that . Can't wait for time to start my Stug. Ian I just wanted to remind you that in your pics of your drive housing you have not put the back plate spacer between it and the hull.The MK kit that you used the drives from has it included but if you don't have that there are a couple easy options. One take the old DML part and pencil the outline onto a plastic sheet and cut it out. Or take the old kit part and glue it onto the hull and cut and sand away the drive housing leaving just the spacer. Hope this Helps and will follow your build with much enthusiasm and if you need any parts or doodads ask me I may have what you need I have a huge Stug/pz III spares box.

Brian

Hello Ian,

Nothing I love more than a parts box build John will attest to that . Can't wait for time to start my Stug. Ian I just wanted to remind you that in your pics of your drive housing you have not put the back plate spacer between it and the hull.

Brian

Hello Brian,
thanks for the heads-up on the spacer - I did not have any MK ones and just basically forgot to put them in using mods.
I think it will be to hard to remove the housings now, as they were glued with liquid poly and will get to damaged removing them. I may have to live with it now. I will have to consider. :( :smack

Thanks
Ian

Further progress..........

Still considering the spacers for the FD housings?

Worked on making the weld beads more pronounced as the kit ones are way to subtle. Not for everyone but I enjoy the scratch work and the ownership it brings to the build work.
If there is enough interested I can post a Masters blog on how to do the different types with drawings for explanations.

1_zps0b9f32bb.jpg

4_zps83fa97a7.jpg

2_zps32139144.jpg
5_zps72d5a953.jpg

Added some PE fenders supports, rear intake covers, modified the periscope opening in the roof, added the headlights.
Scratched up the rear plate and added the nuts and bolts.
Finished -up the sanding on the engine hatches and added the extra hinges from the dragon kit.

A lot more work needed but I am not going overboard on this one as I want it to be a reasonably quick build. There is still a lot of work to do on the rear deck and guards , tracks and tools.
It won't be going into a competition...just one for my collection.

7_zpsa8de8f39.jpg

8_zps98bfd0e8.jpg

11c_zpse2a7f3bc.jpg
13_zpsac4637d1.jpg
12_zpsaa313e3c.jpg
11b_zps82d6420f.jpg

10_zps3d58dac3.jpg
9_zpsed065d43.jpg

I have started working on an idea for the base around what appears in the reference photo,s - the wreckage will need further work after the tank is complete - the figures will be waling down the steet in between the tank and the other wreckage.
The cobblestone pieces are from my plaster junk box and will be sanded to very thin and matched - up. The cracks and gaps won't matter as I will have plenty of dirt and mud, with only portions showing threw - no sense wasting a good section of cobble casting when I only need a suggestion of it.

15_zps0080d8b9.jpg

16_zps0919c837.jpg
14_zps12a01e1c.jpg

Thanks everyone for following...........

MP,Iron Mike, James, Chuck, Tony, Mr T(my airush is nearly reloaded), Ronan, Maus,

Sherman 18 (please see thelast update it has the info with the back deck photo).

new update soon.

Ian.

Mini update.
finished off building the Masterbox prisoners - quite nice and very natural poses.

Also put together the 2 Russian figures from Tahk.
These are really crisp with great sculpting, including bandages and torn uniforms.

The layout is changing all the time but the basic idea to take the setting of the photo is still there.

IMG_1661_zps48c8aeb5.jpg
IMG_1656_zps59b040d9.jpg

IMG_1657_zpsb5506e98.jpg
IMG_1658_zps8858310c.jpg

Back