• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re: Something really different Update December 9, 2010

Poppy, Simpatico is just breathtaking!!! We have a place of honor reserved for it. It will be where I spend more time than anywhere else in my home...my study. I will be able to see it for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I just can't get over how real it looks. The brick especially blows my little mind.

I'm so looking forward to seeing you on Friday, Poppy, and bringing Simpatico home.

:cheer:

Well, the forecast is good for next weekend! Had it been this one, I would probably be stuck down there. Down to 7 degrees tonight, 40-50 MPH winds, three inches of snow and ice. I'm ready to go south NOW! I should have it completely finished by wednesday evening. That'll give me time to photograph it, disassemble it and load it into the van!

See ya friday!

Pop

Re: Something really different Update December 9, 2010

Still speechless but at least the numbness in my fingers has subsided enough to type...

AWESOME!

Regards,

Thanks Saul!

The next time I post it will be the last for the model and end of it's SBS. I have applied 3 pounds of cell-u-clay to the grounds for all the landscaping that is to come. Just about 3 or 4 days left to go!

Bob

Simpatico Update December 14, 2010

I am racing against the clock to finish this project. I have two days now left to finish it, then I will drive it down to my daughter's house and give her this birthday present. That means I have tuesday and wednesday to finish it, thursday to really photograph it well, (I want to do some outdoor shots, weather permitting, as those are the most realistic!). I won't be posting the last blog until next week, so I thought I would post two shots to give an idea where I am on it now. Still lots to do, the asphalt driveway, the entire roof will look like the small one over the entrance, a few windows, finish the grass on the far right side, add a couple of more trees, trim work, the white wiring is for the driveway lamps. Altogether, it will have more than 50 miniature grain of wheat bulbs including spot lights pointed upward on the facade, etc.

CIMG2301.jpg

A human's eye view.

CIMG2302.jpg

Till next week!

Bob

Then I'll get back to "Logistics"!

Re: Simpatico Update December 14, 2010

Oh man, that looks splended!! Did you make the tall tree yourself? either way its a belter

Thanks Ant,

Actually there are three of those type pines. About 30 years ago, I bought these fern like branches in Beatties hobby shop in London, (I don't think that company exists anymore), thought someday I would use them with some King Tigers and make a dio like the famous photo, "Tigers in a French Wood".

The next time I do a dio with trees and shrubs, I will check out your line. I already had everything I used in this. I cut straight branches from a tree, then, painstakingly glued on those branches one by one. There is another large one on the opposite side and a smaller one there too! The two large ones are 16 inches tall, (406mm).

Here is a shot with my wife Susan standing behind it for an idea of size. It is in 1/35th scale

CIMG2300.jpg

I've never been a kit collector, but all the "Junk" I have saved over the years for that "One Day" project, is sufficient to build more dioramas than time I have left!:D

Bob

katchinnnnnnggg!

most awesome work of a true master! that's the most exorbitant present ever made to a daughter!

Yeah I remember Beatties from about 30 years ago too. There were a couple of their shops in Manchester at one point. Well saved for that one day project, they look perfect. Anybody would be happy to receive that work of art as a gift.

Thanks

Ant

Truly amazing!

Write a booklet or article if you can. It is more than a simple SBS, a father/daughter love story is involved...

Regards,

When you sent those photos over last night, Poppy, I was in shock. I've seen your dioramas in person so you wouldn't think I'd be surprised but...WOW.

When I look at the photographs, particularly the ones at ground level, it looks like it does when I'm walking down the sidewalk up to the real house.

I really can't believe it. It's beautiful.

I also can't believe this is for me.

I just can't believe it...

katchinnnnnnggg!

most awesome work of a true master! that's the most exorbitant present ever made to a daughter!

Laura, thanks very much! Well, I don't know about that, but that is the effect I wanted her to feel!

Bob

Wow! :blink

Terry (y)

Thanks Terry,

BTW, I'll get a photo of that ice bucket just for you!:Hiay :Hiay

Bob

Truly amazing!

Write a booklet or article if you can. It is more than a simple SBS, a father/daughter love story is involved...

Regards,

Thanks Saul, actually, the folks at Military Modelling have expressed an interest to publish it for that exact reason!

Bob

When you sent those photos over last night, Poppy, I was in shock. I've seen your dioramas in person so you wouldn't think I'd be surprised but...WOW.

When I look at the photographs, particularly the ones at ground level, it looks like it does when I'm walking down the sidewalk up to the real house.

I really can't believe it. It's beautiful.

I also can't believe this is for me.

I just can't believe it...

Tell you what Sweetheart, when I pull into your driveway Friday around noon, I'll bet you believe it then!

That was my goal all along, to make you happy and, because you are happy, I will be as well!:mpup

See ya Friday!:Hiay :Hiay :Hiay

Pop

Re: Simpatico Update 12/14/10

Just wonderful Bob! Once the roof is that darker grey all over it will take on an even more realistic appearance mate. Kudos
Brad

Just eating this up with a spoon! Outstanding!

With a spoon??????????

Thanks Bob

Just wonderful Bob! Once the roof is that darker grey all over it will take on an even more realistic appearance mate. Kudos
Brad

Thanks Brad,

The roof should make a very big difference. So should all the small details yet to go. Nobody notices all the fine detail, but they would if it wasn't there!

Bob

Bob,
Just in a word, "WOW" :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
Really great and enjoy the trip to Springfield.
Cheers,
John and Maureen.

Bob this is totally the reason why you are a Master of Masters, absolutely splendid stuff

I must admit I did have a sniff sniff when my local Beatties closed down :(
Modelzone is just not the same :(

Bob,
Just in a word, "WOW" :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
Really great and enjoy the trip to Springfield.
Cheers,
John and Maureen.

Hi John and Maureen!!!

Thanks guys, I will!

Bob

Bob this is totally the reason why you are a Master of Masters, absolutely splendid stuff

I must admit I did have a sniff sniff when my local Beatties closed down :(
Modelzone is just not the same :(

Thanks Andy,

Master of Masters? Hmmmm, does that mean I am Obi wan kanobe or Yoda?

Yoda is pretty short! :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm

I loved the Beatties I used to go to in London. I think it was on Bond street? How long have those been closed?

Bob

Back