• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Simpatico Finished & delivered 12/23/10

Oops, this isn't monday, is it?

I've been busy since I returned home from delivering Simpatico to my daughter Gail. It was her birthday present and I began it in June, in 1/35th scale, and delivered it six months later!

I'll start where I left off on page 16. First, this is for Terry, (Mr. T). A couple of shots. A shame but this will never be seen. There are many such things in these large dioramas but I am never sure until they are finished. This is the ice in the champagne bucket! It's about the size of a pea. Note the label on the bottle.

CIMG2311.jpg

CIMG2314.jpg

I began assembling the components of the bedroom. It will be visible only from two windows, a big bay window in the front and the smaller one above it. I took a shot of the painting of me hanging in the museum, miniaturized it in Photoshop, framed it and hung it above the fireplace.

CIMG2319.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of each side from the window.

CIMG2320.jpg

On this side of the wall, I framed a painting-like portrait of Gail. I thought that was appropriate.

CIMG2325.jpg

A shot from the upper window looking down.

CIMG2322.jpg

Without the roof.

CIMG2332.jpg

The asphalt driveway now finished. Laura had given me a system for doing asphalt, but I had already went to far with this one. Next time Laura!

CIMG2334.jpg

Then I assembled all the components of the sun/game room. The following are shots of them glued in place. The huge bamboo fan was attached to the roof and later can be seen through the large glass skylight I included for that purpose. There is another one on the other side so the viewer can view the bathroom I posted in this thread earlier.

CIMG2338.jpg

CIMG2341.jpg

Although it can't be seen in this photo, the fireplace is on a flasher circuit and looks quite convincing with the dancing lights.

CIMG2340.jpg

CIMG2342.jpg

Here is a shot of the bath as seen through the skylight.

CIMG2380.jpg

With all the interior rooms now sealed, I ran all the circuits to a termination box, then connected it to a lamp cord with a 12 volt transformer.

The following are shots of the diorama finished and ready to be transported to it's new home.

CIMG2348.jpg

CIMG2351.jpg

I just had to throw in a before and after. Here is where it started.

CIMG1573~0.jpg

And ended.

CIMG2355.jpg

[
CIMG2358.jpg

CIMG2360.jpg

CIMG2362.jpg
]

CIMG2363.jpg

CIMG2364.jpg

CIMG2365.jpg

CIMG2366.jpg

CIMG2367.jpg

CIMG2368.jpg

Here is the third floor balcony with table and chairs.

CIMG2372.jpg

A couple of night shots with the lights on. They don't really do it justice as I used a cheap camera. Maybe later when I am visiting her, I will get some pics with drama.

CIMG2381.jpg

CIMG2382.jpg

Then, the delivery!

Susan and I loaded it in the van and I drove it down. Susan didn't go because there was only one seat that wasn't filled, the driver's. I arrived about 9:00 AM and set it up as quickly as I could in Gail's study/office. She works out of her home. It will be next to the desk she spends many hours every week day. Susan had made a recipe book for her with all the handed down recipes from both our family's. It was very elaborate and Gail is looking through it here!

CIMG2383.jpg

Here it sets in it's new home. It looked right at home there.

CIMG2385.jpg

Here is Gail beside it.

CIMG2389.jpg

It was kind of emotional for her, which made me feel like it was all worth it!

CIMG2386.jpg

CIMG2390.jpg

After that, we had a father/daughter day together and had a wonderful time. Her and her husband Forrest are coming up here next week to celebrate Christmas. Susan and I will be going back to the Gulf Coast in Texas in January on our annual, "Get away from the bitter St. Louis weather", trip. Gail will be visiting us there. When we return, I will jump back on "Logistics". I have a HUGE number of vehicles to weather, (47 in all).

I know this isn't military, but I hope you guys enjoyed the SBS as much as I did building it!

Bob

Re: Simpatico Finished & delivered 12/23/10

Hi Bob, what wonderful gift for your daughter, this has been a fantastic SBS.....thanks for sharing it with us (y) (y) (y)

Tom

WOW....it was sure worth the wait !! You can really see it in her eyes...she loves it. What a unique present...WOW. :mpup

There's so much to take out of this I don't know where to start. Thank you so much for sharing all this with us Dad, Wonderful work, I know Gail is thrilled to have this wonderful gift!

Spectacular. That truly is a work of art. And the smile on Gail's face, that could light the sky. Awesome. Thanks for sharing all of this.
James

spectacular stuff bob!

it was really worth the work!

gail - you know that all modellers from around the world are jealous about that gift? having a true bob letterman on display is almost like having the original mona lisa on display!

Bob,
Great job and thanks for all the SBS.
Have a Merry Christmas as this will be a first with the new family.
John and Maureen.

BoB,

WoW ! Great Job !!! Looks Fantastic !! Words escape Me ....

BoB - I hope all of you Have a Very Merry Christmas & A Very Happy New Year !! Cheers ! (y) :D

ERIK

Thats is one great story start to finish,....excellent modelling and a warm human story to go with it

A whole chapter dedicated to this in your book Bob ! (y)

Beautiful work Bob. Both the model and Gail are easy on the eyes!

Tim

Well Bob you've done it again!!! Another masterpiece from the master.

From the look on Gail's face she is as impressed as the rest of us. What a really special gift for someone special.

Thanks for sharing this with us Gil and Sydney

Hi Bob, what wonderful gift for your daughter, this has been a fantastic SBS.....thanks for sharing it with us (y) (y) (y)

Tom

Thanks Tom,

It was certainly something different for me!

Bob

WOW....it was sure worth the wait !! You can really see it in her eyes...she loves it. What a unique present...WOW. :mpup

Thanks Wes, That was the idea!

Bob

There's so much to take out of this I don't know where to start. Thank you so much for sharing all this with us Dad, Wonderful work, I know Gail is thrilled to have this wonderful gift!

Thanks MP,

I believe she enjoyed having it built from the beginning with an audience! She likes to read the comments as well as watch the build.

Bob

Spectacular. That truly is a work of art. And the smile on Gail's face, that could light the sky. Awesome. Thanks for sharing all of this.
James

Hey James,

The smile on her face always lights the sky for me!

Thanks

Bob

spectacular stuff bob!

it was really worth the work!

gail - you know that all modellers from around the world are jealous about that gift? having a true bob letterman on display is almost like having the original mona lisa on display!

Laura, I want her to feel that way, but, between me and you, Da Vinci is waaaaaaay the hell outa my league!

Not even close!

Thanks for saying that though,

Bob

Bob,
Great job and thanks for all the SBS.
Have a Merry Christmas as this will be a first with the new family.
John and Maureen.

Thanks John, I really enjoyed doing it!

Believe me, we will enjoy it!

Merry Christmas to you and Maureen as well!

Bob

BoB,

WoW ! Great Job !!! Looks Fantastic !! Words escape Me ....

BoB - I hope all of you Have a Very Merry Christmas & A Very Happy New Year !! Cheers ! (y) :D

ERIK

Thanks Erik,

The same goes for you and yours! Have a great Christmas!

Bob

Great job!

Thanks Jeff!

Bob

Thats is one great story start to finish,....excellent modelling and a warm human story to go with it

A whole chapter dedicated to this in your book Bob ! (y)

Thanks Andy,

I will do that, if I ever get around to a book!

Bob

Beautiful work Bob. Both the model and Gail are easy on the eyes!

Tim

Thanks Tim,

You noticed that, huh? She sure is!(y)

Bob

Well Bob you've done it again!!! Another masterpiece from the master.

From the look on Gail's face she is as impressed as the rest of us. What a really special gift for someone special.

Thanks for sharing this with us Gil and Sydney

Thanks Gil,

That look sure made me happy!

We'll be headed down your way soon! We are in the middle of a blizzard here in northern Missouri!

Bob

Back