• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re: Simpatico Finished & delivered 12/23/10

Congrats Bob.
Is a pleasure to see this work...
I like it all, the building, the accesories, the base, all...
Thanks for posting it...

See you.

Yago.

Awesome job, Bob
You really know how to "give" a house a home and fill it with love for a very special person. Gail is a lucky lady.
By the way, the Today Show just had a special segment about the Art Institute of Chicago, where they added Christmas items to a bunch of shadow boxes that depict various rooms in a turn-of-the-century house. It's the first time anything has been added since they were created in the 1930s. The scale is one inch to a foot and they intend to make it a new holiday tradition. They have to clean the glass every day because of people pressing their noses against them to view the scenes.
So, I guess you've just turned Gail's house into the Art Institute of Simpatico. She'd better stay well stocked in glass cleaner.
Enjoy the holidays.
Peace and Love,
Randy

A Step by Step Christmas Present

I am calling this project, "Simpatico"

If you have read the thread, “Bob’s New Daughter”, then you have all the information to understand what this is about. If not,

www.bobletterman.com/wordpress...t=125

The first time I saw my daughter in person was in March, this year, in Springfield, Missouri. I met her and we spent the day getting to know each other, just driving around and comparing notes on both our backgrounds.

When we were in the eastern part of town, I remembered a house that I had loved all my life since a kid. She then said she had one too that was in this area. I started driving in the general direction and she began describing the house. Long story short, Same house. Her birthday is in December and I had planned to build her a Chinese pagoda, another common interest. Then It occurred to me how perfect it would be to instead build a model of that house for her.

Susan and I went down to visit again from the 7th through the 12th of May. While there, I snapped about a hundred pictures of the house from all angles. Below are a few. The SBS is also unique to the masterclass in this respect. All previous masterclass threads have been posted after completion of the project.

I have thought about that as opposed to the normal threads. This will be a project over time as the build progresses. Kind of an experiment to see if this will work in masterclass as well as it does in the other build threads. Who knows? I never said I was Einstein! Here are the pics of the house and grounds I will attempt to replicate.

CIMG1490~0.jpg

CIMG1492~0.jpg

CIMG1494~1.jpg

CIMG1498~0.jpg

The property takes up at least half a city block, has tennis courts, swimming pool and several out buildings. Is it the greatest mansion in the world? Of course not. But it is a beautiful, magnificent piece of architecture, far beyond my price range. I intend to include everything, maybe not quite all the trees, but it will have enough to simulate the feel. A few of the challenges in doing this is first, the unique stonework. Then the brick on the front has been laid in a parquet chevron pattern. Neither of these are available in scale commercial sheets, at least that I know of, so both will have to be made from scratch. I am using a 2' X 4' base, so it will be large enough to show the details. I have a little less than seven months to complete, so I have to get moving on it.

My plans are to build this step by step and post each one as it progresses both on my website and here on Tanks and Things.com. I am fairly confident I can have it done in the time allowed, providing nothing serious happens in the interim.

Since I only have known of her existence approaching 6 months, she has inspired me to many off the wall things I have never before attempted, like…… writing a poem?? Guess it is all just part of being a father. Who knows what’s next?

www.bobletterman.com/wordpress...t=130

I know, it isn't military, but the building techniques are identical. I hope this will interest members.

Re: A Step by Step Christmas Present

This will be a great resource for us mere mortal modelers. So much to take from it. Thanks for sharing this Dad..

Congrats Bob.
Is a pleasure to see this work...
I like it all, the building, the accesories, the base, all...
Thanks for posting it...

See you.

Yago.

Yago, I haven't heard from you in awhile. I was so busy trying to finish it on time!

What have you been working on? I really like your work too!

Bob

Awesome job, Bob
You really know how to "give" a house a home and fill it with love for a very special person. Gail is a lucky lady.
By the way, the Today Show just had a special segment about the Art Institute of Chicago, where they added Christmas items to a bunch of shadow boxes that depict various rooms in a turn-of-the-century house. It's the first time anything has been added since they were created in the 1930s. The scale is one inch to a foot and they intend to make it a new holiday tradition. They have to clean the glass every day because of people pressing their noses against them to view the scenes.
So, I guess you've just turned Gail's house into the Art Institute of Simpatico. She'd better stay well stocked in glass cleaner.
Enjoy the holidays.
Peace and Love,
Randy

Hey Randy,

Actually, I'm a lucky father!

I have seen those! They are very nice! Standard Doll House scale. They only use three, 1 inch, 1/2 inch and the rare 1/4 inch. After all, I am still an armor modeler, 1/35th!

I hope you had a great Christmas and will have a Happy New Year!

Bob

Re: A Step by Step Christmas Present

This will be a great resource for us mere mortal modelers. So much to take from it. Thanks for sharing this Dad..

That was cool the way you made an SBS with no interruptions. I tried to get through the entire thread with comments. It is really long!!

Thanks son,:mpup

Dad :D

Holy Cow! Since I wasn't sure after the riff if this topic would continue (never sure of site politics and who is sympathetic to whom) I am really happy to see the finished product and the SBS.

Bob,
Wow, if I had one 2010 feel good story to tell my friends it's you and your daughter's story. I'm usually not prone to emotional outbursts but having a daughter of my own I was in tears reading of your wonderful discovery and first meeting. The subsequent birthday gift, planning, building SBS and delivery is a true statement to the love between a Father and daughter.
Thank you for sharing the photographs and stories.
Cheers,
Charles

Well done Bob..... a masterpiece for sure

Delivered on time, to spec. Gail must be thrilled with her gift, a true labour of love.

Best wishes

Ant

Hi Bob,

I've been marvelling over this masterpiece for a few days now. Every time I look at the photos and read the thread I find something new :) Thank you so much for sharing this very personal work of art with us. (y)

Rudi

Holy Cow! Since I wasn't sure after the riff if this topic would continue (never sure of site politics and who is sympathetic to whom) I am really happy to see the finished product and the SBS.

Bob,
Wow, if I had one 2010 feel good story to tell my friends it's you and your daughter's story. I'm usually not prone to emotional outbursts but having a daughter of my own I was in tears reading of your wonderful discovery and first meeting. The subsequent birthday gift, planning, building SBS and delivery is a true statement to the love between a Father and daughter.
Thank you for sharing the photographs and stories.
Cheers,
Charles

Charles, I'm not into riffs. I avoid them like the plague. Riffs I can get anywhere, websites are for fun!

Thank you. Being a father, you can understand! I'm still in training for that, but learning quickly! :D

Thanks for your comment.

Bob

Well done Bob..... a masterpiece for sure

Delivered on time, to spec. Gail must be thrilled with her gift, a true labour of love.

Best wishes

Ant

Thanks Ant!

Well, I think I scored a bulls eye with the gift! Not bragging, but she sure seemed to like it!

Bob

Hi Bob,

I've been marvelling over this masterpiece for a few days now. Every time I look at the photos and read the thread I find something new :) Thank you so much for sharing this very personal work of art with us. (y)

Rudi

Thanks Rudi,

I have always tried to put a lot of detail in my dios. I think it makes them more interesting and more realistic when photographed. Many go unnoticed, but you would notice if they weren't there! . People have always commented on things they never saw before each time they view them.

Bob

The best is that you did not give all the details away allowing the viewer to find it on their own... genius.

Regards,

As the lucky recipient of such a work of art, I have felt I should say something here, now that Simpatico has been delivered, but I have been unsure of what to say. I am an intensely private person and am uncomfortable with sharing my deepest feelings in public. I am also wanting to avoid anything that sounds braggy or show-offy. I am therefore just now posting and even as I am typing this, I am not sure what I'm going to say.

I will say that photos of Simpatico do not do it justice. It is absolutely exquisite, right on my eye level as I sit at my desk in my study. When I look over at it, I literally feel I am walking up to the real home (although Simpatico, in my opinion, is prettier than its stone-and-mortar inspiration) and could literally open the door and walk in. This is very relaxing in the middle of a stressful workday.

More importantly, however, is that every time I look at it, I feel loved. I feel important and valuable as a human being. Every girl...every PERSON...should feel that from their parents. Gazing at Simpatico is like receiving a hug from my father every time I look at it. If I live to be 114, I will still know my father loved me and that will keep me a young girl inside forever.

Thank you for your interest in our little story and in the resultant thing of beauty made for me.

I don't want to go more personal than that. I hope, though, that gives you all some idea of what it feels like to be the proud owner of such a masterpiece and Bob Letterman's daughter.

Some excellent and inspiring work here to be sure. My thanks to you both for sharing this story. Bob...I can relate in some small part to how you felt doing this as it reminded me of when I built a toy chest/bench for my daughter Abigail for her first birthday. Getting older means it truly is more joyful to give than receive...but how much more joyful it is when it is something you have created with your own hands. We can see that joy in your postings here and it truly is awe-inspiring.

The best is that you did not give all the details away allowing the viewer to find it on their own... genius.

Regards,

Genius! Saul, nobody ever called me that before!! :gogo :gogo :gogo :gogo

Thanks anyway! What I do is show every single thing as I am building. What happens is there is so damned much to see in these builds, everybody forgets them and then thinks they have found something I never mentioned. :idonno

I wouldn't advise it unless you need to go to sleep, but you can go back through all that and it is all there!

Thanks again man,

Bob

As the lucky recipient of such a work of art, I have felt I should say something here, now that Simpatico has been delivered, but I have been unsure of what to say. I am an intensely private person and am uncomfortable with sharing my deepest feelings in public. I am also wanting to avoid anything that sounds braggy or show-offy. I am therefore just now posting and even as I am typing this, I am not sure what I'm going to say.

I will say that photos of Simpatico do not do it justice. It is absolutely exquisite, right on my eye level as I sit at my desk in my study. When I look over at it, I literally feel I am walking up to the real home (although Simpatico, in my opinion, is prettier than its stone-and-mortar inspiration) and could literally open the door and walk in. This is very relaxing in the middle of a stressful workday.

More importantly, however, is that every time I look at it, I feel loved. I feel important and valuable as a human being. Every girl...every PERSON...should feel that from their parents. Gazing at Simpatico is like receiving a hug from my father every time I look at it. If I live to be 114, I will still know my father loved me and that will keep me a young girl inside forever.

Thank you for your interest in our little story and in the resultant thing of beauty made for me.

I don't want to go more personal than that. I hope, though, that gives you all some idea of what it feels like to be the proud owner of such a masterpiece and Bob Letterman's daughter.

Wow! What could any father respond to that? It's a good thing we are virtual, I wouldn't want all these guys to see my real reaction to reading that!

Can you believe that Pop is lost for words?

Thanks Sweetheart!

Some excellent and inspiring work here to be sure. My thanks to you both for sharing this story. Bob...I can relate in some small part to how you felt doing this as it reminded me of when I built a toy chest/bench for my daughter Abigail for her first birthday. Getting older means it truly is more joyful to give than receive...but how much more joyful it is when it is something you have created with your own hands. We can see that joy in your postings here and it truly is awe-inspiring.

Thanks Jeeves,

Man, can I relate to that! Model, toy bench, doesn't matter. It is this feeling you get! I don't think their age matters either.

I'm glad you noticed that joy. To me, it was the best part of the thread!

Bob

Well Bob this is magnificent work by any standard and that ice bucket WOW!!! There's nothing like building for someone you love it's a tangible connection between the two of you that won't be broken. Bob you are a lucky man and like Saul said "genius"

Gail Happy Birthday! What a present! You have some Dad.

Terry B)

Back