• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Short Range Saucers.

ausf

Master at Arms
Needed to jump start myself again, while cleaning/rearranging the shop I came acroos a few kits I forgot I had, one fit into this campaign nicely:

h5e74b6a.jpg

Start photo:

hf00a698.jpg

I just bought a new Hakko soldering station that I wanted to try out (can't afford another resistance soldered right now), so there's no way I wouldn't be lighting it, but unfortunately there are 14 ports in the kit (top and bottom) and the only components I have to make chaser circuits were for 10 lights. I decided to go with a simple flasher circuit like a railroad crossing, alternating between the top and bottom. It works nicely, since the SMD LEDs in the top course let red light through when they are off, so they give a nice pulsing effect. I'll film some video once I finish, but here are photos of the wiring rough-out:

h4979c1a.jpg

h193b2f4.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I found a plastic base in the spares box that'll do well to hold the battery. I notched out two landing legs and CA'd some wire so I can get power from the base. Wires seen here:

hb50d2c8.jpg

And parts primed:

h8c352c1.jpg

I keep looking at the IP and have to stop myself from adding some lights to it. It'll add too much time to the build even if I could squeeze anymore stuff in the tiny 4 inch hull.

Thanks for checking in Gents!

I sealed it up, so it's a one way trip for the electronics. Battery change is the most I can do at this point. :S

I grew up with the B movies and the pristine saucer surfaces, but I like my saucers to have some mileage on them. I would think blastng between solar systems would cause some wear, at least on entry to atmospheres...

h8f45e64.jpg

h36f4006.jpg

Looks real good & I agree with ya, they do look better dirtied up! Look at the space shuttle when it returned from space...

You know How We look at something and mean to post something ..... and it don't get done ... well that's what happened here ..... are the lights LED's or grain of wheat ? ..... Nice weathering job & construction ....

Thanks guys.

The lights are LEDs. The top ring looks like 3mm domed LED, but its the kit lenses with green SMDs glued underneath, so when off they show red from below. The lower used to glow green when off, but with the weathering, I've sanded over the clear lenses, so the color is much more dull. I haven't decided whether I'm going to clear coat to restore the shine. As it sits, although you can't see it in the pictures, it has this nice weird sheen to it and I'm not sure if I want to lose it. I may test on the underside to see.

I had this idea that maybe the propulsion system is magnetic and I'll add a bunch of rusted iron ore to the legs as if it was pulled out of the dirt. Of course, I'll ned to add the dirt too... :D

You best leave well enough alone .... But if your gonna do that might as well fix up a ring counter for those LED's if you step them off and do every 3 on three outputs ..... it would make a marquee effect .... good to find someone here who understands Electronics .... :eek:ldguy

Back