• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Porsche 935 1:12

Well that couldn't have gone any worse if i had tried. I think even freehand with a brush made of wire wool would have been better :)

Nothing like putting up your disasters for all to see but if you only show the good bits its cheating :)

DSC_3971.JPG

DSC_3969.JPG

As i feared the paint just bled under the tape because of all the bends and corners and uneven surface ,,,. So now the rescue mission starts, probably more work to put this right than i have put in so far.

Wouldn't life be boring if everything went to plan :)
I think the easiest way forward will be to spray the yellow stripe black and either re apply or do away with it but i will give it some thought first.

One option, strip to plastic and start over with lessons learned, start with dark and go light.
When masking spray the protected color over the mask edges, that way any paint that seeps in is the color under the mask.
Also that's not so bad Paddy, I think you can clean that up with a tooth pick and thinner.

I did away with the troublesome stripe and added some colour to the rear wing to balance things up a bit

I just realised the windows all have a black (rubber ) surround :) i have bought some new masking tape. This time tamiya flexible for corners....we shall see :)

DSC_3974.JPG

DSC_3976.JPG

I have a mixture of old decals which will break this up, very few of the originals dont involve Martini so cant really be used.

i will sleep better tonight :)

Last edited:
Better news today

I bought some Tamiya masking tape, its a kind of PVC i would think but it takes a reasonable curve as it can stretch. I did the from windscreen rubber and i am very pleased with the sharpness of the edge
Very much recommended

DSC_3979.JPG
DSC_3978.JPG

Quick question ?

Does it make a difference if the black is Mat or Gloss when you clear gloss coat ? I seem to remember one time glossing an aircraft that was a Mat camouflage to apply decals and it was the same as spraying gloss colours in the first place ?

Last edited:
Obviously you'll have to apply gloss more to the flat than you would a gloss surface. Other than that i'm not sure what you're asking. Maybe I haven't had enough java...

i have areas of mat and gloss and even semi gloss on the back of the body
If i give those areas several coats of gloss clear will they all look the same ?

i have areas of mat and gloss and even semi gloss on the back of the body
If i give those areas several coats of gloss clear will they all look the same ?
Eventually I would think. I'd probably concentrate the gloss on the matt and satin areas before covering the gloss. I could be wrong

IS that true with other difficult colors like red, yellow, white... Spray flat then shine it up?

I'm going to grab the spoons and test it... ya never know
That is what I do, as most of the gloss colors have to go on so thick. I have an old auto build that was black with some white details that I painted back in the late 80's. The white is now an ivory color due to the clear coat yellowing a little. Since it was all boxed and protected the paint is still pristine, just the white isn't quite as bright a white now. Some colors like yellow are a bear to do in gloss, but much easier to do in flat and spray a good clear coat on.

Now balanced together my paintwork lines up between the various parts quite well and i think my design sort of works.
As i said all i have is a few motorcycle decals and some i have salvaged from the originals by carefully cutting Martini of them but actuall i thin k less is more but i might add some Numbers to doors and hood.

DSC_3980.JPG

I will leave it for a day and make sure i am happy with it then i will gloss coat the whole thing. Once thats done and well dry i can add the detail handles ,mirrors, Glass ,lights.........and try and decide what will work with the wheels so they sort of tie in as well

Paint is done but still quite a lot of polishing to do.
when i bought the Alclad for the Bentley i also bought and alclad polishing kit which has 4000 6000 9000 grit cloth which works well on the Tamiya gloss coat. Just rather a lot of paint to polish :)

DSC_3991.JPG

I was looking last night at a Tamiya 1/12 race car.......F1 style. I am very tempted because it has the option to really go mad on detail with relatively small amount of body work. Double win as not so much paint to get right and more opportunity to see the detail as no roof and windows..

Back