• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Porsche 935 1:12

paddy

So this is the Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini race car.

Or it would have been if we wanted another one of those in the World :)
In a never ending quest to do something different i will have a go at this as a road car conversion in Yellow. Its basically just an exercise in painting being over 1ft long, its not often i have to recharge the air brush half way through -)​

DSC_3812.JPG

Its an expance of white plastic that comes with the roof and rear wings fitted to the chassis by screws so you need to break it down to paint

DSC_3818.JPG

i have used Mat Yellow for the interior panels

DSC_3820.JPG

and then rubber black for the floor

DSC_3821.JPG
DSC_3822.JPG

That basically gives me the foundations to build on....Let the fun begin

I have the 934 Jagermeister in the same scale. Quite the time consuming build. Like you, Paddy, I am looking to do something different. I doubt I will be painting that shade of orange so I will be looking to a definitive color to paint mine. Watching with interest.

Originally the body on this kit was used in a Tamiya RC Car. I had one of those. (maybe I still have but buried someplace) It was originally to have all the Martini markings and decals, but I painted it a dark blue.

I'll be watching too. I have the Entex 1/12 BMW CSL in the stash. It has had my interest. I want to build something different, out of the armor-aircraft world builds. Paul W has inspired me to try something else by his foray into scale cars.

I'll be watching too. I have the Entex 1/12 BMW CSL in the stash. It has had my interest. I want to build something different, out of the armor-aircraft world builds. Paul W has inspired me to try something else by his foray into scale cars.
But you have a BV 222 to finish first.:pilot
:pilotpilot

As i mentioned i wanted to do something a bit different with this so carbon fibre seemed an obvious choice. As far as i can make out the first use of Carbon in a car was a McLaren F1 in about 1981 so at last 6 years after this Porsche...i thought i would test the water with the driver centre console

DSC_3828.JPG

It comes as white plastic so i sprayed it black as any gaps in the carbon fibre decal would really show up in white

DSC_3829.JPG

this is it with just a plain decal finish

DSC_3831.JPG

and this is with a semi gloss clear coat, i did try full gloss but it didnt work. You need to scale down the gloss just like you scale down the part :cool:
anyway it shows complicated shapes can be covered without any real problems.

Looking good! Scale Motorsports makes several different patterns and colors of carbon fiber decals if you are so inclined. I used several of theirs back in the tuner craze of the early 2000's. :good:

Off to a good start with this one Paddy. Funny you mentioned recharging the airbrush halfway through. lol

I built a 1/24 scale Messerschmitt 109G about a decade ago and can remember doing just that. LOTS of area to cover.

Looking good bud. Will be following this one.

Off to a good start with this one Paddy. Funny you mentioned recharging the airbrush halfway through. lol

I built a 1/24 scale Messerschmitt 109G about a decade ago and can remember doing just that. LOTS of area to cover.

Looking good bud. Will be following this one.
Thanks, i see you as the car man here so always open to ideas with this one :)

I have been playing around with the front suspension this week.

DSC_3841.JPG

This kit is a very early version without the PE that comes in the later boxes for discs etc however i am not a huge fan of PE and its limitations of being 2d so its not a great loss.

DSC_3839.JPG

I m not a fan of the "snap together" system Tamiya use on their linkages which seem to "snap apart" even easier than they "snap together" :)
Weathering is an odd one to on this large scale, i will build it up slowly till it looks right but i would imagine race cars were pretty clean.

the kit is actually quite basic, i imagines these large scale models would be better but then i suppose for the price they are still pretty good. Apart from the lack of PE there are no seat belts which i would have thought an essential part in a model of this size so i have ordered some after market. I think they would be hard to make in this large scale where detail shows and being a 4 point harness.

It looks like the later version of this kit with the PE sheet also has Seat belts so if you see this and fancy a go make sure you get one with "includes PE" on the top of the box on top right.

Anyway i bought and after market set and fitted these today, i also decided to do a Carbon Fibre seat as a well.

DSC_3845.JPG

DSC_3847.JPG

DSC_3849.JPG

DSC_3851.JPG

Back